    I am a little bit lost. Please understand. :)

    Thanks,
    Miguel
    Miguel Dias Moura, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Miguel Dias Moura

    Mike Ryan Guest

    Hi Miguel,

    It will probably depend on your personal situation and requirements.
    Visual Studio.NET 2003 would be my recommendation; however, it can be
    expensive if you're self-financing. ;)

    Is this for current development, or for future/prospective development
    with the 2.0 beta?

    I believe with the Framework 1.0 and 1.1 versions, developers who
    weren't using Visual Studio yet wanted some GUI design capability were
    using ASP.NET Web Matrix (
    http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=46 ) for layout and a
    separate code editor for coding (for example, SharpDevelop). [Of course
    you could use a code editor exclusively, but you'd lose the drag/drop
    design capability.]

    If you're interested in the ASP.NET 2.0 beta, you might want to check
    out MS's Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta.

    I don't know much about Dreamweaver. I do know it supports ASP.NET, but
    from your question it seems like it might not be meeting your needs.

    Good luck!

    - Mike

    Mike Ryan, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Miguel Dias Moura

    Jeremy S. Guest

    My opinion:
    I develop ASP.NET Web applications (sites) using both Dreamweaver and VS.NET
    2003. I use Dreamweaver for all HTML and CSS work as well as for site
    maintenance tasks (transferring files to production server etc). I use
    VS.NET 2003 for everything else - including code-behind/debugging work and
    launching test sessions of the the application. I avoid Dreamweaver's
    supposed ASP.NET support features. As you may have seen in this group,
    VS.NET 2003 will automatically rewrite your HTML if you give it the chance -
    which is a very frustrating situation; the next version of Visual Studio
    will apparently not do that... something to keep in mind. The way to prevent
    Visual Studio from rewriting your HTML is to *not* open your aspx, html, or
    ascx files in Visual Studio. So, in practice, I typically open both
    Dreamweaver and VS.NET 2003 at the same time - and switch back and forth
    depending on what I'm working on - with all test sessions launched from
    VS.NET.

    This is just my approach and it works well for me. Others report doing
    something similar, but use FrontPage instead of Dreamweaver. In any case
    this whole scenario is expected to change in the next version of VS.NET. I
    haven't played with it yet so I can't tell you what to expect there.

    Good Luck.

    Jeremy S., Jan 22, 2005