need to find module tar.gz files

ejwaibel

I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:

Exporter
LWP::Agent
HTTP::Request

I found each module on CPAN, but the link to the tar.gz file contained
a bunch of other modules that I don't need. I was hoping to find the
tar.gz files for each of these modules so that I could install them
each individually. I'm trying to install them on a Sun Solaris box
that can't use the "perl -MCPAN" command to install them. So I need
the tar.gz files so that I can unzip and then install the modules by
using the "perl Makefile.PL" command. If anyone can please help I'm
sure this would be helpful to a lot of other people as well.

Thanks,
Erik

Greg Bacon

: I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
: the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:
:
: Exporter
: LWP::Agent
: HTTP::Request
:
: I found each module on CPAN, but the link to the tar.gz file contained
: a bunch of other modules that I don't need. I was hoping to find the
: tar.gz files for each of these modules so that I could install them
: each individually. I'm trying to install them on a Sun Solaris box
: that can't use the "perl -MCPAN" command to install them. So I need
: the tar.gz files so that I can unzip and then install the modules by
: using the "perl Makefile.PL" command. If anyone can please help I'm
: sure this would be helpful to a lot of other people as well.

Exporter comes with perl, so it should be there.

LWP::Agent and HTTP::Request come with the libwww-perl, but you'll
need to do a little dependency chasing if you have to install it
manually. (It'd be much easier to let the CPAN module do it for you
if you can.)

Did something happen to corrupt your Perl library?

Greg

Brian McCauley

I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:

Exporter
LWP::Agent
HTTP::Request

I found each module on CPAN, but the link to the tar.gz file contained
a bunch of other modules that I don't need.

Are you sure?

Do you realise that when modules are dictributed together that's often
because they are closely interdependant? I would not recommend trying
to install only part of libwww unless you _really_ know what you are
doing. And since you appear to think it would make sense to attempt to
install, for example, HTTP::Request without installing its base class
HTTP::Message I suspect you don't.

Exporter is a standard module, so on the one hand, the tar.gz file
containing it is the whole of the standard Perl distribution (which is
huge), but on the other hand if you have Perl installed you already
have Exporter.
I'm trying to install them on a Sun Solaris box

Does Solaris run on mobile phones these days? What sort of device is
is that you have where a few 100kb is an issue?
that can't use the "perl -MCPAN" command to install them.

You are saying CPAN.pm fails on Solaris?

Keith Keller

I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:

Exporter
LWP::Agent
HTTP::Request

I found each module on CPAN, but the link to the tar.gz file contained
a bunch of other modules that I don't need. I was hoping to find the
tar.gz files for each of these modules so that I could install them
each individually. I'm trying to install them on a Sun Solaris box
that can't use the "perl -MCPAN" command to install them. So I need
the tar.gz files so that I can unzip and then install the modules by
using the "perl Makefile.PL" command. If anyone can please help I'm
sure this would be helpful to a lot of other people as well.

Exporter is now a core module, so you need to upgrade your Perl in order
to get the latest version. (I suppose you could download the tarball
and try to build it alone. But it's been part of the core for some
time, so if you don't have it you must have a very old Perl.)

LWP::UserAgent and HTTP::Request are part of the libwww bundle. You
might as well install the whole thing, since there are quite a few
dependencies. I'd suggest installing Bundle::LWP, since that bundle
has modules you might want/need later on. It would be unwise to install
LWP::UserAgent, for example, without the other libwww modules.

--keith

brian d foy