    Thanks,
    Erik

    , May 24, 2007

  2. Greg Bacon Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    : I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
    : the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:
    :
    : Exporter
    : LWP::Agent
    : HTTP::Request
    :
    : I found each module on CPAN, but the link to the tar.gz file contained
    : a bunch of other modules that I don't need. I was hoping to find the
    : tar.gz files for each of these modules so that I could install them
    : each individually. I'm trying to install them on a Sun Solaris box
    : that can't use the "perl -MCPAN" command to install them. So I need
    : the tar.gz files so that I can unzip and then install the modules by
    : using the "perl Makefile.PL" command. If anyone can please help I'm
    : sure this would be helpful to a lot of other people as well.

    Exporter comes with perl, so it should be there.

    LWP::Agent and HTTP::Request come with the libwww-perl, but you'll
    need to do a little dependency chasing if you have to install it
    manually. (It'd be much easier to let the CPAN module do it for you
    if you can.)

    Did something happen to corrupt your Perl library?

    Greg
    --
    The meetings will continue until schedule improves.

    Greg Bacon, May 24, 2007

  3. On May 24, 10:03 pm, wrote:
    > I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
    > the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:
    >
    > Exporter
    > LWP::Agent
    > HTTP::Request
    >
    > I found each module on CPAN, but the link to the tar.gz file contained
    > a bunch of other modules that I don't need.

    Are you sure?

    Do you realise that when modules are dictributed together that's often
    because they are closely interdependant? I would not recommend trying
    to install only part of libwww unless you _really_ know what you are
    doing. And since you appear to think it would make sense to attempt to
    install, for example, HTTP::Request without installing its base class
    HTTP::Message I suspect you don't.

    Exporter is a standard module, so on the one hand, the tar.gz file
    containing it is the whole of the standard Perl distribution (which is
    huge), but on the other hand if you have Perl installed you already
    have Exporter.

    > I'm trying to install them on a Sun Solaris box

    Does Solaris run on mobile phones these days? What sort of device is
    is that you have where a few 100kb is an issue?

    > that can't use the "perl -MCPAN" command to install them.

    You are saying CPAN.pm fails on Solaris?

    Brian McCauley, May 24, 2007
  4. Keith Keller Guest

    On 2007-05-24, <> wrote:
    > I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
    > the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:
    >
    > Exporter
    > LWP::Agent
    > HTTP::Request
    >
    > I found each module on CPAN, but the link to the tar.gz file contained
    > a bunch of other modules that I don't need. I was hoping to find the
    > tar.gz files for each of these modules so that I could install them
    > each individually. I'm trying to install them on a Sun Solaris box
    > that can't use the "perl -MCPAN" command to install them. So I need
    > the tar.gz files so that I can unzip and then install the modules by
    > using the "perl Makefile.PL" command. If anyone can please help I'm
    > sure this would be helpful to a lot of other people as well.

    Exporter is now a core module, so you need to upgrade your Perl in order
    to get the latest version. (I suppose you could download the tarball
    and try to build it alone. But it's been part of the core for some
    time, so if you don't have it you must have a very old Perl.)

    LWP::UserAgent and HTTP::Request are part of the libwww bundle. You
    might as well install the whole thing, since there are quite a few
    dependencies. I'd suggest installing Bundle::LWP, since that bundle
    has modules you might want/need later on. It would be unwise to install
    LWP::UserAgent, for example, without the other libwww modules.

    --keith

    --
    -francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)

    Keith Keller, May 24, 2007
  5. brian d foy Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I have searched all over CPAN and all over the internet to try to find
    > the tar.gz files for these 3 modules:

    Did you try CPAN Search?

    http://search.cpan.org/search?query=HTTP::Request&mode=all

    It will show you which modules are in which distributions.

    Sometimes the packages list is helpful too. It lists every module (not
    distro, but module) that PAUSE has seen and maps it to the distribution
    its in:

    http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt

    brian d foy, May 25, 2007