Need to find the _MSC_VER for my VisualStudio C++ compiler

RichardOnRails

Hi All,

I just used VCpp2008ExpressEd_setup.exe to install Visual Studio with C
++. I tested the installation with a "Hello, World" toy Command-line
executable.

I'm developing Web software using a Ruby on Rails. I want to download/
install a tool in my development environment that comes equipped with
a make file specifying it requires a compiler who's "_MSC_VER" is
1200.

Invoking the tool's installation setup reports that compilation fails
because the compiler apparently reports something other than 1200. I
searched the installed VS/VC++ thoroughly but can't find where the
_MSC_VER macro is defined. I've Google'd for it as well, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

RichardOnRails

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << _MSC_VER << std::endl;
return 0;

   Pete
Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd. (www.versatilecoding.com) Author of
"The Standard C++ Library Extensions: a Tutorial and Reference"
(www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your expert help. My result so far is that rigging the
make file to use VS 2008 probably won't work because the make file
references .dll's that aren't incorporated VS 2008. That just feels
like a can of worms.

I managed to find VS C++ 6.0 iso's on the Net which I burned onto CDs
for installation. If I can get 6.0 to work on my WinXP-Pro/SP3, I
might be able to get this going.

Do you know offhand if I can install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C+
+ 2008? It's almost midnight my local time so I'm going to postpone
thinking about this until tomorrow evening.

Again, thanks for your help,
Richard

Bo Persson

RichardOnRails said:
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your expert help. My result so far is that rigging the
make file to use VS 2008 probably won't work because the make file
references .dll's that aren't incorporated VS 2008. That just feels
like a can of worms.

I managed to find VS C++ 6.0 iso's on the Net which I burned onto
CDs for installation. If I can get 6.0 to work on my
WinXP-Pro/SP3, I might be able to get this going.

Do you know offhand if I can install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS
C+ + 2008? It's almost midnight my local time so I'm going to
postpone thinking about this until tomorrow evening.

Yes you can, but should probably avoid that. VC6 is just ancient (from
the 1900s), with a pre-standard implementation of C++. Not to mention
the potential licensing problem.

Are you sure you cannot find your tool for _MSC_VER 1300? That's a
much better bet.

Bo Persson

RichardOnRails

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your expert help.  My result so far is that rigging the
make file to use VS 2008 probably won't work because the make file
references .dll's that aren't incorporated VS 2008. That just feels
like a  can of worms.

I managed to find VS C++ 6.0 iso's on the Net which I burned onto CDs
for installation.  If I can get 6.0 to work on my WinXP-Pro/SP3, I
might be able to get this going.

Do you know offhand if I can install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C+
+ 2008?  It's almost midnight my local time so I'm going to postpone
thinking about this until tomorrow evening.

Again,  thanks for your help,
Richard
No idea. You should ask this on a Microsoft group.
Peter: Thanks for your additional response.
Yes you can, but should probably avoid that.
Bo: Thanks for your response also
I can't because I've download some code that will plant itself in a
Ruby-on-Rails Web Development package. The downloaded code
- invokes nmake and (which implies I need 6.0 early on the path)
- includes a config.h file
--- that opens with three lines that
------specify failure unless _MSC has the value 1200 (==Ver. 6.0)
Not to mention the potential licensing problem.
I download 6.0 in the form of
- a text file containing the Product ID and
- three .iso's which I used to burn three installation CDs
I don't think WinXP-Pro/SP3 or Microsoft is going to be bummed out by
me using "ancient and outdated software" to circumvent compatibility
problems that they inflicted on us until they finally figured out a
versioning solution (the .NET scheme.).

The only problem I foresee is that I'll have to ensure that any
reference in the PATH to 6.0 temporarily precedes any reference to
2008.

Again, thank you both for your responses,
Richard

RichardOnRails

[...]

Hey Pete and Bo,

The 6.0 install and the upgrade to my RubyOnRails web-development
environment worked perfectly.

With repeated thanks for your advice,
Richard