    Any ideas?

    Thanks in Advance,
    Richard
    RichardOnRails, Apr 17, 2010

  2. On Apr 17, 2:24 pm, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    > RichardOnRails wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I just used VCpp2008ExpressEd_setup.exe to install Visual Studio with C
    > > ++.  I tested the installation with a "Hello, World" toy Command-line
    > > executable.

    > > I'm developing Web software using a Ruby on Rails.  I want to download/
    > > install a tool in my development environment that comes equipped with
    > > a make file specifying it requires a compiler who's "_MSC_VER" is
    > > 1200.

    > > Invoking the tool's installation setup reports that compilation fails
    > > because the compiler apparently reports something other than 1200.  I
    > > searched the installed VS/VC++ thoroughly but can't find where the
    > > _MSC_VER macro is defined.  I've Google'd for it as well, to no avail..

    > > Any ideas?

    > #include <iostream>
    >
    > int main()
    > {
    > std::cout << _MSC_VER << std::endl;
    > return 0;

    >    Pete
    > Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd. (www.versatilecoding.com) Author of
    > "The Standard C++ Library Extensions: a Tutorial and Reference"
    > (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    Hi Pete,

    Thanks for your expert help. My result so far is that rigging the
    make file to use VS 2008 probably won't work because the make file
    references .dll's that aren't incorporated VS 2008. That just feels
    like a can of worms.

    I managed to find VS C++ 6.0 iso's on the Net which I burned onto CDs
    for installation. If I can get 6.0 to work on my WinXP-Pro/SP3, I
    might be able to get this going.

    Do you know offhand if I can install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C+
    + 2008? It's almost midnight my local time so I'm going to postpone
    thinking about this until tomorrow evening.

    Again, thanks for your help,
    Richard
    RichardOnRails, Apr 18, 2010

  3. RichardOnRails

    Bo Persson Guest

    RichardOnRails wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 2:24 pm, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    >> RichardOnRails wrote:
    >>> Hi All,

    >>> I just used VCpp2008ExpressEd_setup.exe to install Visual Studio
    >>> with C ++. I tested the installation with a "Hello, World" toy
    >>> Command-line executable.

    >>> I'm developing Web software using a Ruby on Rails. I want to
    >>> download/ install a tool in my development environment that comes
    >>> equipped with a make file specifying it requires a compiler who's
    >>> "_MSC_VER" is 1200.

    >>> Invoking the tool's installation setup reports that compilation
    >>> fails because the compiler apparently reports something other
    >>> than 1200. I searched the installed VS/VC++ thoroughly but can't
    >>> find where the _MSC_VER macro is defined. I've Google'd for it as
    >>> well, to no avail.

    >>> Any ideas?

    >> #include <iostream>
    >>
    >> int main()
    >> {
    >> std::cout << _MSC_VER << std::endl;
    >> return 0;
    >>
    >> }
    >>
    >> --
    >> Pete
    >> Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd. (www.versatilecoding.com) Author of
    >> "The Standard C++ Library Extensions: a Tutorial and Reference"
    >> (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > Thanks for your expert help. My result so far is that rigging the
    > make file to use VS 2008 probably won't work because the make file
    > references .dll's that aren't incorporated VS 2008. That just feels
    > like a can of worms.
    >
    > I managed to find VS C++ 6.0 iso's on the Net which I burned onto
    > CDs for installation. If I can get 6.0 to work on my
    > WinXP-Pro/SP3, I might be able to get this going.
    >
    > Do you know offhand if I can install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS
    > C+ + 2008? It's almost midnight my local time so I'm going to
    > postpone thinking about this until tomorrow evening.

    Yes you can, but should probably avoid that. VC6 is just ancient (from
    the 1900s), with a pre-standard implementation of C++. Not to mention
    the potential licensing problem.

    Are you sure you cannot find your tool for _MSC_VER 1300? That's a
    much better bet.

    Bo Persson
    Bo Persson, Apr 18, 2010
  4. On Apr 17, 11:41 pm, RichardOnRails
    <> wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 2:24 pm, Pete Becker <> wrote:
    >

    > > RichardOnRails wrote:
    > > > Hi All,

    > > > I just used VCpp2008ExpressEd_setup.exe to install Visual Studio with C
    > > > ++.  I tested the installation with a "Hello, World" toy Command-line
    > > > executable.

    > > > I'm developing Web software using a Ruby on Rails.  I want to download/
    > > > install a tool in my development environment that comes equipped with
    > > > a make file specifying it requires a compiler who's "_MSC_VER" is
    > > > 1200.

    > > > Invoking the tool's installation setup reports that compilation fails
    > > > because the compiler apparently reports something other than 1200.  I
    > > > searched the installed VS/VC++ thoroughly but can't find where the
    > > > _MSC_VER macro is defined.  I've Google'd for it as well, to no avail.

    > > > Any ideas?

    > > #include <iostream>

    > > int main()
    > > {
    > > std::cout << _MSC_VER << std::endl;
    > > return 0;

    > > }

    > > --
    > >    Pete
    > > Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd. (www.versatilecoding.com) Author of
    > > "The Standard C++ Library Extensions: a Tutorial and Reference"
    > > (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > Thanks for your expert help.  My result so far is that rigging the
    > make file to use VS 2008 probably won't work because the make file
    > references .dll's that aren't incorporated VS 2008. That just feels
    > like a  can of worms.
    >
    > I managed to find VS C++ 6.0 iso's on the Net which I burned onto CDs
    > for installation.  If I can get 6.0 to work on my WinXP-Pro/SP3, I
    > might be able to get this going.
    >
    > Do you know offhand if I can install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C+
    > + 2008?  It's almost midnight my local time so I'm going to postpone
    > thinking about this until tomorrow evening.
    >
    > Again,  thanks for your help,
    > Richard

    >> ... can I install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C++ 2008?

    > No idea. You should ask this on a Microsoft group.

    Peter: Thanks for your additional response.

    >> ... can I install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C++ 2008?

    > Yes you can, but should probably avoid that.

    Bo: Thanks for your response also
    I can't because I've download some code that will plant itself in a
    Ruby-on-Rails Web Development package. The downloaded code
    - invokes nmake and (which implies I need 6.0 early on the path)
    - includes a config.h file
    --- that opens with three lines that
    ------specify failure unless _MSC has the value 1200 (==Ver. 6.0)

    > Not to mention the potential licensing problem.

    I download 6.0 in the form of
    - a text file containing the Product ID and
    - three .iso's which I used to burn three installation CDs
    I don't think WinXP-Pro/SP3 or Microsoft is going to be bummed out by
    me using "ancient and outdated software" to circumvent compatibility
    problems that they inflicted on us until they finally figured out a
    versioning solution (the .NET scheme.).

    The only problem I foresee is that I'll have to ensure that any
    reference in the PATH to 6.0 temporarily precedes any reference to
    2008.

    Again, thank you both for your responses,
    Richard
    RichardOnRails, Apr 18, 2010
  5. On Apr 18, 10:22 am, RichardOnRails
    <> wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 11:41 pm, RichardOnRails
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > > > #include <iostream>

    > > > int main()
    > > > {
    > > > std::cout << _MSC_VER << std::endl;
    > > > return 0;

    > > > }

    > > > --
    > > >    Pete
    > > > Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd. (www.versatilecoding.com) Author of
    > > > "The Standard C++ Library Extensions: a Tutorial and Reference"
    > > > (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    > > Hi Pete,

    > > Thanks for your expert help.  My result so far is that rigging the
    > > make file to use VS 2008 probably won't work because the make file
    > > references .dll's that aren't incorporated VS 2008. That just feels
    > > like a  can of worms.

    > > I managed to find VS C++ 6.0 iso's on the Net which I burned onto CDs
    > > for installation.  If I can get 6.0 to work on my WinXP-Pro/SP3, I
    > > might be able to get this going.

    > > Do you know offhand if I can install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C+
    > > + 2008?  It's almost midnight my local time so I'm going to postpone
    > > thinking about this until tomorrow evening.

    > > Again,  thanks for your help,
    > > Richard
    > >> ... can I install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C++ 2008?

    > > No idea. You should ask this on a Microsoft group.

    > Peter: Thanks for your additional response.
    >
    > >> ... can I install 6.0 without uninstalling my VS C++ 2008?

    > >  Yes you can, but should probably avoid that.

    > Bo: Thanks for your response also
    > I can't because I've download some code that will plant itself in a
    > Ruby-on-Rails Web Development package.  The downloaded code
    > - invokes nmake and (which implies I need 6.0 early on the path)
    > - includes a config.h file
    > --- that opens with three lines that
    > ------specify failure unless _MSC has the value 1200 (==Ver. 6.0)
    >
    > > Not to mention the potential licensing problem.

    > I download 6.0 in the form of
    > - a text file containing the Product ID and
    > - three .iso's which I used to burn three installation CDs
    > I don't think WinXP-Pro/SP3 or Microsoft is going to be bummed out by
    > me using "ancient and outdated software" to circumvent compatibility
    > problems that they inflicted on us until they finally figured out a
    > versioning solution (the .NET scheme.).
    >
    > The only problem I foresee is that I'll have to ensure that any
    > reference in the PATH to 6.0 temporarily precedes any reference to
    > 2008.
    >
    > Again, thank you both for your responses,
    > Richard

    Hey Pete and Bo,

    The 6.0 install and the upgrade to my RubyOnRails web-development
    environment worked perfectly.

    With repeated thanks for your advice,
    Richard
    RichardOnRails, Apr 18, 2010