C++ Compiler That Doesn't Need To Install

kotori

Hi, i'm looking for a C++ compiler that I can run straight off of a USB
Thumbdrive for compiling my applications on-the-go. I currently use
both dev-cpp and MSVS8 at home, but I desperately need something I can
run on the labs at school. The computers there are all running locked
down accounts so its impossible to install anything beyond what they
have for a base installation. I was looking at mingw and such but they
require enviornment path changes which are also "impossible" for me to
change due to the account restrictions. Any help or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ivan.leben

Do you really need a Windows compiler? The problem is you usually need
standard library headers to compile anything, plus windows.h header and
stuff if you are compiling for Windows. This means that along with the
compiler you need all those files too, plus the libraries to link to
(MFC if you are using this for GUI or maybe .NET). You always need
libraries (.lib) and headers (.h) for everything you include in your
program aside to you own code.

All the IDE's (Interated Development Environment) you mentioned include
and install them when you install the very code editor. So the trick is
you would need to have all the standard libs and headers on you USB key
too. Have you thought about trying to install a mentioned IDE with the
USB key as a target, then check which of the files get installed in the
Windows/System32 dir on any other not in the installation directory and
then copying those files along with the IDE on you USB key?

It's all much easier if you are programming for Linux or other Unix
flavors, cause the standarad libs and files are usually included in
those systems and the compiler gcc too. Maybe try to think about buying
an usb with a little larger capacity and installing a very lightwright
version of whole Windows onto it, and use ti to boot the system up from
the usb, compile in that system and then run the proggy in faculty lab
computers.

Greets,
Ivan Leben

rossum

Hi, i'm looking for a C++ compiler that I can run straight off of a USB
Thumbdrive for compiling my applications on-the-go. I currently use
both dev-cpp and MSVS8 at home, but I desperately need something I can
run on the labs at school. The computers there are all running locked
down accounts so its impossible to install anything beyond what they
have for a base installation. I was looking at mingw and such but they
require enviornment path changes which are also "impossible" for me to
change due to the account restrictions. Any help or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Buy a laptop (second hand can be cheap) and use that. Otherwise talk
to the computer people tthe school to see if there is anything they
can do. They might be willing to install Dev-C++ for you if it is
needed for your course.

rossum

Kotori

rossum said:
Buy a laptop (second hand can be cheap) and use that. Otherwise talk
to the computer people tthe school to see if there is anything they
can do. They might be willing to install Dev-C++ for you if it is
needed for your course.

rossum

I happened upon a deal at walmart for 3 - 512mb USB thumbdrives for
$30.00 so I was just trying to figure out a cheap method of getting my
compiler to go along with me. The laptop idea is great, but
unforunately I am a poor college student. As poor as I am, I do have 2
FreeBSD servers here at my residence both with a great DEV enviornment,
and I've been SSH'ing into them to compile my stuff, but that requires
me UL'ing the work to the server, and then compiling them, FTP just
isn't working through our home router at the moment :(
thanks

Steve Pope

Kotori said:
As poor as I am, I do have 2 FreeBSD servers here at my
residence both with a great DEV enviornment, and I've been
SSH'ing into them to compile my stuff, but that requires me
UL'ing the work to the server, and then compiling them, FTP
just isn't working through our home router at the moment :(

If you can ssh through the router, then you can use scp rather
than ftp. Scp is better anyway.

Steve

Walter Bright

kotori said:
Hi, i'm looking for a C++ compiler that I can run straight off of a USB
Thumbdrive for compiling my applications on-the-go. I currently use
both dev-cpp and MSVS8 at home, but I desperately need something I can
run on the labs at school. The computers there are all running locked
down accounts so its impossible to install anything beyond what they
have for a base installation. I was looking at mingw and such but they
require enviornment path changes which are also "impossible" for me to
change due to the account restrictions. Any help or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

The Digital Mars C/C++ compiler doesn't need to be installed. In fact,
there is no install script for it. Just unzip and run it. No need to
mess with environment variables or registry settings. No need to stuff
anything into your Windows system directories. No registration, no
dongles, no DRM, no activation, no phone home.

To uninstall it, just blow away the directory it's in.

-Walter Bright
www.digitalmars.com C, C++, D programming language compilers

kotori

Walter said:
The Digital Mars C/C++ compiler doesn't need to be installed. In fact,
there is no install script for it. Just unzip and run it. No need to
mess with environment variables or registry settings. No need to stuff
anything into your Windows system directories. No registration, no
dongles, no DRM, no activation, no phone home.

To uninstall it, just blow away the directory it's in.

-Walter Bright
www.digitalmars.com C, C++, D programming language compilers

Wow, now that is definetely something i've been looking for! Thanks
for that heads up Walter. As previously mentioned I had been using a
form of SCP to get into my UNIX system for file management.

Walter Bright

kotori said:
Wow, now that is definetely something i've been looking for! Thanks
for that heads up Walter. As previously mentioned I had been using a
form of SCP to get into my UNIX system for file management.

You're welcome. I've never liked 'install' programs, as who knows what
they're doing to your system. Furthermore, they make it difficult and
time consuming to restore your system from backups.