.Net application startup question

mokles

Hi all,
I am trying to start writing programs in VB.Net and ASP.Net for Windows and
web applications.
I have background in VB and classic ASP. The windows applicaiton will be
database related ( displaying data from database, updating etc.), so Grid
component will be big part of it. The windows application will be quite
big.

1. What resources are out there for learning the .Net things?
2. Is there any commercial product or source code for similar application
that sets up basic classes that we can buy and changes for our needs?
3. Is there any need for buying third party components?

Thanks for your reply.

-Mokles

Guest

Hi Mokles,
I recommend you starting from here http://www.asp.net
You can start using ASP.NET WEbMatrix and its made for ASP.NET and its free
and GOOD! Or you use Visual Studio .Net which is also a great tool.
It all depends on what you want to do!
ASP.NET has different controls and classes to play with so get started..
GDLUCK
Patrick

Guest

Hi,

1. there are plenty of them, but do try this one:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...vboriVisualBasicInActionEndtoEndSolutions.asp

http://www.asp.net
http://www.gotdotnet.com/
http://www.15seconds.com/

http://visualbasic.about.com/od/learnvbnet/

2. there are plenty of component outside, but still depends on what
application you are building, try to search around in:

http://www.componentsource.com/

These are highly rated .net component,
www.componentone.com
www.infragistics.com
www.softwarefx.com

3. It depends on what are you going to do, and how much time do you have.
Using third party component could save lots of time, however some are
expensive.

Do feel free to ask, and welcome to the .NET world.

weichung

Michelle Hlaing

Hi Mokles,

Just adding to the other suggestions:

1) there are really good starter books from Microsoft Press that you might be interested in looking at:
a)Microsoft ASP.NET Programming with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Version 2003 Step By Step
b) MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET
and Microsoft Visual C# .NET, Second Edition
c) MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Windows-Based Applications with Microsoft Visual
Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET, Second Edition

Buying third party applications is mainly up to you and what you would like to achieve in your application.

Hope that helps,

Michelle Hlaing

Microsoft Support Professional

***Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.***