    response

    Thanks for your help!

    Francesc

    Francesc Guim Bernat, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Francesc Guim Bernat

    Unforgiven Guest

    Francesc Guim Bernat wrote:
    > Dear Collegues,
    >
    > I've developed an application with .NET framework using System.Xml
    > utilities. But now I can verify that my applications works more slower
    > than i expected. I think that it's because .NET applications runs in
    > .NET virtual machine :-( .

    ..Net and XML have nothing to do with the C++ language, so are horribly off
    topic here. Go to microsoft.public.dotnet.* for a better reply.

    To answer your query shortly, execution in a managed environment will slow
    your code down, but not much, especially since .Net code is not interpreted
    but compiled, so the only slowdowns are memory management and stuff like
    array-bounds checking. I have seen certain cases where the System.Xml
    classes lacked in performance though. You might try profiling your app and
    see which parts eat up the time and try to optimise them.

    > It's possible to make a solution where the executable code don't
    > run in this virtual machine ? I want to creat an exectuable for
    > architectures Win32 and Win64 but using System.Xml utilities.

    You cannot create a native executable that'll run native on both Win32 and
    Win64. You can create code that'll compile targeting either platform though.

    > By the oder hand Do you know any C++ classes or library (not .NET
    > based) that allows me to work with XML Technologies (XSD, XSL an
    > XPath) ?

    Microsoft XML Core Services is pretty good (very fast XSLT engine). I'm not
    sure if it has a 64-bit version though. Otherwise, Google is your friend.

    > If you can, please send me an email to
    > with the response

    When you post to usenet, expect a reply on usenet.

    --
    Unforgiven

    "Most people make generalisations"
    Freek de Jonge

    Unforgiven, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Francesc Guim Bernat

    Pianoman Guest

    While Francesc Guim let a monkey type his work:
    > By the oder hand Do you know any C++ classes or library (not .NET
    > based) that allows me to work with XML Technologies (XSD, XSL an XPath) ?
    > If you can, please send me an email to with the
    > response

    Apache has one called xerces xml.apache.org. If you need one that supports
    most character sets, search for XML4C (which is C++-based). XML4C is
    basically apache's xerces plus IBM's unicode translations.

    --
    Nathan Owens

    Georgia Institute of Technology - CS undergrad - Atlanta, GA

    Pianoman, Sep 19, 2003