.NET executables and XML, i need help :-(

Francesc Guim Bernat

Dear Collegues,

I've developed an application with .NET framework using System.Xml
utilities. But now I can verify that my applications works more slower
than i expected. I think that it's because .NET applications runs in
..NET virtual machine :-( .
It's possible to make a solution where the executable code don't run
in this virtual machine ? I want to creat an exectuable for
architectures Win32 and Win64 but using System.Xml utilities.

By the oder hand Do you know any C++ classes or library (not .NET
based) that allows me to work with XML Technologies (XSD, XSL an XPath) ?
If you can, please send me an email to (e-mail address removed) with the
response

Thanks for your help!

Francesc

Unforgiven

Francesc said:
Dear Collegues,

I've developed an application with .NET framework using System.Xml
utilities. But now I can verify that my applications works more slower
than i expected. I think that it's because .NET applications runs in
.NET virtual machine :-( .

..Net and XML have nothing to do with the C++ language, so are horribly off
topic here. Go to microsoft.public.dotnet.* for a better reply.

To answer your query shortly, execution in a managed environment will slow
your code down, but not much, especially since .Net code is not interpreted
but compiled, so the only slowdowns are memory management and stuff like
array-bounds checking. I have seen certain cases where the System.Xml
classes lacked in performance though. You might try profiling your app and
see which parts eat up the time and try to optimise them.
It's possible to make a solution where the executable code don't
run in this virtual machine ? I want to creat an exectuable for
architectures Win32 and Win64 but using System.Xml utilities.

You cannot create a native executable that'll run native on both Win32 and
Win64. You can create code that'll compile targeting either platform though.
By the oder hand Do you know any C++ classes or library (not .NET
based) that allows me to work with XML Technologies (XSD, XSL an
XPath) ?

Microsoft XML Core Services is pretty good (very fast XSLT engine). I'm not
sure if it has a 64-bit version though. Otherwise, Google is your friend.
If you can, please send me an email to
(e-mail address removed) with the response

When you post to usenet, expect a reply on usenet.

Pianoman

While Francesc Guim let a monkey type his work:
By the oder hand Do you know any C++ classes or library (not .NET
based) that allows me to work with XML Technologies (XSD, XSL an XPath) ?
If you can, please send me an email to (e-mail address removed) with the
response

Apache has one called xerces xml.apache.org. If you need one that supports
most character sets, search for XML4C (which is C++-based). XML4C is
basically apache's xerces plus IBM's unicode translations.