net-ldap and OpenSSL

Glen Holcomb

I am having trouble making an SSL connection to an LDAP server. After
setting my object to use simple_tls I get the following error when trying to
connect to port 636 on the LDAP (AD) server:

OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError

Nothing more useful than that. I get a brief stack trace but it isn't all
that useful either.

Glen Holcomb

Attempting this by hand yields the same results, which makes me think it
isn't necessarily a problem with net/ldap.

I get the same useless error when attempting the connection by hand:

@sslcon = TCPsocket.new("datadc1", 636)
@context = OpenSSL::SSL::SSLContext.new
@context.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE
@sslcon = OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket.new(@sslcon, @context)
@sslcon.connect

then I get OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError

Glen Holcomb

Thanks for the response Vlad. However I still get the
OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError. I'm getting the feeling that the OpenSSL library
doesn't work right in Windows. I'm also having trouble finding good
documentation for the module that is written in English.

Glen Holcomb

Thanks again Vlad. I think I figured it out late last night. There is
something strange about SSL on port 636 on that machine. When connecting to
another domain controller (different domain) on the SSL port it works fine.

An actual error message would be completely awesome though.