NetBeans 4.0 totally blows. What other IDE's are available?

xarax

Subject line says it all. NetBeans 4.0 is a
total disaster. I need something else that is
free.

Thomas Kellerer

xarax wrote on 04.12.2004 00:08:
Subject line says it all. NetBeans 4.0 is a
total disaster. I need something else that is
free.
Use NetBeans 3.6 :)

Thomas

Steve

xarax said:
Subject line says it all. NetBeans 4.0 is a
total disaster. I need something else that is
free.

You get what you pay for. Visual Slickedit is it for Java and dozens of
other things, but it cost $$$. It is worth every penny though.

Steve

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/Veg/healthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Andrew Thompson

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:08:27 GMT, xarax wrote:

Please repeat the gist of the subject in the body..
Re: NetBeans 4.0 totally blows. What other IDE's are available?

c.l.j.s-t is -> thataway
Subject line says it all.

Sure. You want an IDE that sucks, rather than blows?
..NetBeans 4.0 is a
total disaster. I need something else that is
free.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any IDE's that suck,
but for a lighterweight editor you might try TextPad.
(OK.. it is shareware, but close to free)

Thomas Kellerer

Andrew Thompson wrote on 04.12.2004 09:09:
Unfortunately, I don't know of any IDE's that suck,
but for a lighterweight editor you might try TextPad.
(OK.. it is shareware, but close to free)
if we are talking about pure editors I would recommend PSPad
(www.pspad.com) completely free and as programmer's editor better then TextPad

Thomas

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote on 04.12.2004 09:09:
if we are talking about pure editors

(shrugs vaguely) Define 'pure', define 'integrated'/'development'..
TextPad will also compile and launch from within the editor. (Woohoo)
..I would recommend PSPad
(www.pspad.com) completely free and as programmer's editor better then TextPad

Thanks. I might check it out.

BTW - Does it provide 'suck' as standard or as a free plug-in?
[ Better remain on-topic here. ;-) ]

IchBin

xarax said:
Subject line says it all. NetBeans 4.0 is a
total disaster. I need something else that is
free.
Depends on what you want to do...

Clean and very efficient: jGRASP, http://www.jgrasp.org/index.html

else

Eclipse, http://www.eclipse.org/

or

JDeveloper, http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/index.html

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin

'The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
substances:
if there is any reaction, both are transformed.'
- Carl Gustav Jung, (1875-1961), psychiatrist and psychologist

xarax

Thomas Kellerer said:
xarax wrote on 04.12.2004 00:08:

Use NetBeans 3.6 :)

I had to go back to 3.6 temporarily, but it
doesn't understand J2SE 5.0.

If you have anything in NB 3.6 projects that
is more complicated than "Hello World!", then
migrating to 4.0 is a nightmare and impossible.
They changed the whole project paradigm into
a braindead disaster.

Thomas Kellerer

xarax wrote on 04.12.2004 14:14:
I had to go back to 3.6 temporarily, but it
doesn't understand J2SE 5.0.

If you have anything in NB 3.6 projects that
is more complicated than "Hello World!", then
migrating to 4.0 is a nightmare and impossible.
They changed the whole project paradigm into
a braindead disaster.

I have to agree here. The idea of having an Ant based project system itself
is quite nice, but the implementation lacks the usability the old
"mounting" system had.

Thomas

Steve

Thomas Kellerer wrote:

( concerning netbeans 4.0 changes )
I have to agree here. The idea of having an Ant based project system
itself is quite nice, but the implementation lacks the usability the old
"mounting" system had.

Why?

Many people found having to mount directories confusing and worse needless.

What was it about netbeans 3.6 not being automatically connected/mounted
to a directory structure had more usability.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm legitamitely curious about your opinion.

Steve

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/Veg/healthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Michael Rauscher

Thomas said:
xarax wrote on 04.12.2004 14:14:
[...]
migrating to 4.0 is a nightmare and impossible.
They changed the whole project paradigm into
a braindead disaster.

I have to agree here. The idea of having an Ant based project system
itself is quite nice, but the implementation lacks the usability the old
"mounting" system had.

Why?

Bye
Michael

Thomas Kellerer

Steve wrote on 04.12.2004 15:40:
Why?

Many people found having to mount directories confusing and worse needless.
That's only because the NB developers chose to use the word "mounting" instead
of "add to classpath". I believe if they had chosen the latter, nobody
would have complained about the concept.

I liked the concept. You need another directory in your classpath? Right
click on the root node, choose mount directory, done.

You can have any number of directories in there without going through three
different tabs of a "project wizard" where you need to specify much more
then really necessary.

The "mounting" paradigm was as close to the classpath idea as one could
imagine. That's why I liked it.

The problem with the old concept was, that you could not move a project
definition from one computer to another. But the complicated setup in 4.0
doesn't make that better. If I want to add another directory with Java
sources, I have to create a new project. Which might make sense in some
cases but not in all (this deficiency has onyl recently been taken care of)

There are so many little features that were simply discarded with the new
system that were essential to the usability of NB. Some of them have been
added during the beta phase due to the outcry of the user community (e.g.
missing the "run file" possibility in a Web Project)

it's more the implementation then the actual concept that I don't like. Why
do I have different types of projects? I have different types of
directories (e.g. "regular" class definitions and web modules) but
attaching this to the whole project doesn't make sense in my eyes.

My guess is that NB will take at least 2 or 3 more versions until the NB
developers (whose work is very much appreciated from my side, don't get me
wrong) will have included all the features that users loved in the old
version.

I know that there are a lot of people out there who like the new style
better, and that's fine. In the end everybody choses the products/tools
that suits his/her style of work best, but I reserve the right for me to
find the new project system much more complicated then the old one.

Thomas

johndoe

Andrew Thompson said:
Unfortunately, I don't know of any IDE's that suck,
but for a lighterweight editor you might try TextPad.
(OK.. it is shareware, but close to free)

I'll chime in here and say I've had good luck with jEdit
( http://www.jedit.org ). There are lots of plug-ins avaialble for
jEdit which can turn it into a pretty comfortable Java development
environment.

Steve

Thomas said:
Steve wrote on 04.12.2004 15:40:

That's only because the NB developers chose to use the word "mounting"
instead
of "add to classpath". I believe if they had chosen the latter, nobody
would have complained about the concept.

I agree. I never made that connection ( I only casually try netbeans
once in a blue moon ), but the way you describe it sounds like a plus
that got lost due to a confusion originating from bad nomenclature.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/Veg/healthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Ryan Stewart

I'll chime in here and say I've had good luck with jEdit
( http://www.jedit.org ). There are lots of plug-ins avaialble for
jEdit which can turn it into a pretty comfortable Java development
environment.

Please share, then. How do you have it set up exactly? What plug-ins,
options, etc? A coworker and I have looked at it but couldn't seem to get
much of anywhere with it.

johndoe

Ryan Stewart said:
Please share, then. How do you have it set up exactly? What plug-ins,
options, etc? A coworker and I have looked at it but couldn't seem to get
much of anywhere with it.

Plugins -> Plugin Manager -> Install. The available plug-ins are
listed with descriptions of each.

I should mention jEdit lacks a debugger plug-in, which I guess I have
to admit is a show stopper for making it a complete development
environment solution.

Ryan Stewart

Plugins -> Plugin Manager -> Install. The available plug-ins are
listed with descriptions of each.
I've seen that. There must be over a hundred though. Which ones do you
suggest?
I should mention jEdit lacks a debugger plug-in, which I guess I have
to admit is a show stopper for making it a complete development
environment solution.
I rarely use a debugger anyhow. For one thing I primarily write webapps. For
another, I find Java to be extremely verbose in its error messages, making
it (almost always) simple to track down problems. The only times I've used a
debugger for Java in the past year or so is just because it was cool
watching the variable values change.

Alberto

I think that there has been plenty or suggestions. I only would like to
add that it all depends on the level of java development that you are
trying to accomplish. If you want a lot of fancy tools for free,
Eclipse will be a total winner (as far as free IDE is concerned)
however, keep in mind that it uses A LOT of system resources, so
depending on what kind of PC you have you may feel the difference or
not. One of my PCs has RH9 on a celeron processor with 156 MB RAM and
it's not a pretty good idea to use eclipse there. "JBlue" may be a good
alternative if you are at the entry level or would like to code
something really cool and fast. It's extremely easy to learn (if you
take more than 1 hours it's a lot). I like it (JBlue) as a good IDE
for developing ideas on OOP since it shows your classes as objects and
displays arrows to show inheritance/composition relationships among
classes (kind of like UML diagrams may look like, but very vague).
Running you code would probably be difficult since you would have to
use the command prompt, unlike Eclipse which has a builtin console.
Good luck!

Alberto