Netbeans failure mode

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
"mx" - "-X" is just the indicator that it's an advanced parameter.

SUN uses the term "the -Xmx command-line option"
(http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/vm/gc-ergonomics.html)
so I think Gilbert can use "the -Xmx parameter".
You should look into it, but you might not need to override that. Is
the amount allocated sufficient on your machine?

It also depends on what else you're running, e.g., whether you have NB
kick off servers, where the database is running, etc.

Most servers and database would run in its own process and not
be relevant for -Xmx.
How is it that you have 640MB of RAM? RAM sticks are almost always
installed in pairs, and the smallest for modern machines AFAIK are 128
MB.

256+256+64+64 would be possible for a not quite modern system.
You should consider 1 GB as minimal for a development machine; 2GB
or more is far better.

Some apps are extremely memory hungry. Like JSR 168 compliant portals
with a bunch of portlets installed.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Arved said:
secret decoder ring said:
Arved Sandstrom wrote: [ SNIP ]
And when you're doing Windows Updates on your WinXP installation, does it
upgrade you to Vista?
What are you talking about? You have to pay to upgrade to Vista, so
obviously Windows Update can't do it automatically. You don't, on the
other hand, have to pay to upgrade to NB 6.5.

Furthermore, Windows Update can certainly download XP SP3 and install it
(although I've blocked mine from doing so, because I've heard many bad
things about SP3 and few good things), and the jump from NB 6.1 to NB 6.5
seems more like the equivalent of a service pack upgrade to me.

The jump from NB 6.1 to, say, a future NB 7.0 might be more akin to going
from XP to Vista. (Actually, probably closer to the not-as-major change
from Win95 to Win98, or perhaps that from Win95 to WinME.)

And even that is not a problem for the auto-updater when the new version
is free.

And even if for some reason it was deemed undesirable for it to
*automatically download and install* a major-version increase, it
certainly is still ridiculous for it to claim to actually be the most
current version when it is not. It should certainly *notify* the user that
a newer version exists, even if perhaps without being able to download and
install it without the user's prompting.

For a minor-version increase, the above goes double.

Thing is, when you see a x.y or x.y.z version numbering scheme, you can't
assume that x=major, y=minor, and z=maintenance, or anything else. NetBeans
calls NB 6.5 a "significant update" to NB 6.1, and some people would not
call that a minor version increase. As another example, when JDKs were being
numbered 1.x, an increase in 'x' most certainly was a major release, not a
minor one.

I don't know exactly what the 'y' in NetBeans x.y versioning is...all I know
is that it signifies enough of a change and enough incompatibilities that
the project requires people to do a complete new install. That's all I need
to know.

I am not really an expert on NetBeans - I prefer Eclipse.

But my understanding of NetBeans versions is:

app moves typical n.0 -> n.5 -> n+1.0 -> n+1.5 ...

occasionally it happen that n.0 -> n.1 or n.5 -> n.6
and n.m -> n.m.1

the modules/plugins inside NetBeans uses a variety of
a.b and x.y.z version numbers

updates are updates to the modules/plugins

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
updates are updates to the modules/plugins

I surmise that this is the thing that misled "secret decoder ring", that the
assertion that everything was up to date did not refer to NB itself.

Regardless, and we can speculate 'til the cows come home or ask the NB guys
themselves, the fact is that there is a NetBeans 6.5 and that the 6.1 updater
does not hint that one should update to NB 6.5.

A review of the netbeans.org pages on the upgrade reveals many significant
changes between versions 6.1 and 6.5.

Given that there is no universal standard for version numbering, it is
dangerous to impose one's own on a product that one does not control. It is
even more dangerous to reject the vendor's scheme because it doesn't match
one's æsthetic. It is better, in the case of NetBeans, to notice the
announcement provided by the start page in the product itself, to visit their
web site periodically, or to subscribe to their email notifications, or even
do all three. The start page often points to useful articles, their web site
continues to provide interesting new articles, tutorials, white papers and
other information, and the newsletter usefully alerts one to the goings on of
NetBeans.

Failure to stay informed is not excused by blaming NetBeans when they are so
forthcoming with opportunities to stay abreast.

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
Failure to stay informed is not excused by blaming NetBeans when they
are so forthcoming with opportunities to stay abreast.

I completely agree.

Arne

Nigel Wade

secret said:
I don't get this. Why are you verbally attacking someone I've never
heard of in the middle of a discussion about NetBeans? It looks irrelevant.

Perhaps because you are posting from his machine?

Gilbert

How is it that you have 640MB of RAM? RAM sticks are almost always
installed
in pairs, and the smallest for modern machines AFAIK are 128 MB. You
should consider 1 GB as minimal for a development machine; 2GB or more is
far better.
It's a very old machine. Two memory banks - one holds 512Mb and the other
128Mb. Mind you, in it's day it was a screamer :)

secret decoder ring

Arne said:
NB is correct

Apparently not. I have now confirmed that the Web site has an NB 6.5
available.
NB is not a module at version 6.1. NB 6.1 is a module at a given
version (I believe version 1.1.1 is current).

This does not make sense.
There are good reasons not to allow an IDE to upgrade itself
to a new major version.

I don't necessarily agree. Moreover, this is irrelevant -- it should not
claim to be up to date when it is not. It should notify the user that a
more recent version exists, whether or not it downloads and installs
that update automatically.

If you are right and it should not update itself automatically in this
case, it should still report to the user that he no longer has the most
current NB. It should not be silent, and it most certainly should not
incorrectly claim the polar opposite!

secret decoder ring

Nigel said:
Perhaps because you are posting from his machine?

I own this computer and nobody else uses it. I have never heard of that
man. To my knowledge, the machine is free of trojans and viruses, and
I'm not aware of any recent break-ins. Certainly there have been none
with forced entry, nor any ransackings or thefts of items here.

You are clearly mistaken.

Interestingly, when I look at the headers of one of my posts, I can't
find an originating IP address anywhere. Usually such a thing would be
in an NNTP-Posting-Host header, as I recall. (Yours has such a header,
but it has a domain name in the .uk space rather than an IP, which is
nearly as unusual.)

So it does not seem plausible that you could correctly identify where I
am posting from.

And therefore does not surprise me in the least that you failed to do so.

It only surprises me that you apparently tried, given that one, what
machine who posts from has nothing to do with Java programming, the
ostensible topic of this newsgroup; two, what machine who posts from is
apropos of nothing anyway; and three, since there was no possible way
you could determine the answer other than by guessing, and guessing gave
you only a 1 in 4294967296 chance of being right (or thereabouts), any
attempt would amount to trying to guess the winning lotto numbers when
the jackpot size is zero -- that is, it would be a complete and utter
waste of time.

secret decoder ring

Lew said:
Maybe it seems that way to you, but what counts is

I am getting rather tired of your arrogance, Lew. You do not decide
whether what I say "counts" or not. WE ARE ALL EQUALS HERE. GET THAT
THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL, PLEASE, BEFORE YOU DRIVE BOTH OF US BATTY!

secret decoder ring

Lew said:
That notification is given. You mentioned that you have certain
behaviors with the start page visible in NetBeans. If you look at that
start page, you will see a headline that reads, "NetBeans IDE 6.5 Now
Available for Download".

No, because, following your advice earlier, I found out how and disabled
the damn thing.
That's one of the reasons why NB provides a start page, to give such
notification.

Be that as it may, the "check for updates" feature should certainly give
such notification, since its failure to do so will be misleading at best.

In this instance we had far worse -- a more or less explicit assertion
by that feature that there was nothing new under the NB sun when, in
fact, there was something new.

secret decoder ring

Arved said:
Thing is, when you see a x.y or x.y.z version numbering scheme, you can't
assume that x=major, y=minor, and z=maintenance

Actually, I can, and I do, since that IS the standard.

You don't get to decide what I do or do not assume, or what is or is not
standard, shocking though this may be for you to hear.

How major an update 6.5 is is entirely beside the point anyway. That it
is an update of any magnitude, rather than a downgrade, suffices to make
a liar out of the NB "check for updates" feature when it claimed there
were none.
As another example, when JDKs were being
numbered 1.x, an increase in 'x' most certainly was a major release, not a
minor one.

That was clearly an error on Sun's part, one they've since rectified
with Java 5, Java 6, and similar names. Java "1.6.0_10" is really Java
6.0.10 by any sensible reckoning, and the phrase "Java 6" indicates
Sun's acknowledgement of that fact.
I still have NB 6.1 - I won't be upgrading for a while. I just tried another
"Check for Updates", and that reported simply that my IDE was up to date,
and that there were no updates available.

So yours, too, is mistaken (or even lying). Interesting. Whatever is
wrong is apparently reproducible. That increases the odds it can be
fixed. Heck, maybe 6.5 has fixed it and will correctly claim to no
longer be up to date when 6.6 or 7.0 or whatever comes out.
That is completely different from claiming that my version of NetBeans
is the latest one out there.

No, it isn't. How can you possibly say that? "No updates" means no
updates. 6.5 is an update. It even says so right on the release notes
page: "NetBeans IDE 6.5 is a significant update to NetBeans IDE 6.1..."
(http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/65/relnotes.html).
By definition, there are no updates

Nonsense. See above.
And as others pointed out, the Start Page for 6.1 is crawling with mentions
of 6.5.

Irrelevant. The problem is that the "check for updates" feature is NOT.
People expect that if there is a new version out, a feature named "check
for updates" will tell them this. If it does not, that feature is
failing to live up to its name and is, at best, being misleading.

Let's clear the developing thicket of red herrings, irrelevant asides,
and pointless hair-splitting before it gets any worse.

NB web site says "NetBeans IDE 6.5 is a significant update to NetBeans
IDE 6.1".

NB 6.1, when told to check for updates, says "Your IDE is up to date!
There are no updates available."

These two assertions directly and explicitly contradict one another.

Citation for first item:
http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/65/relnotes.html

Citation for second: start NB 6.1, "Help" menu, "Check For Updates"

secret decoder ring

Lew said:
I surmise that this is the thing that misled "secret decoder ring"

No, nothing misled me. Something apparently has a bug. "Misled" implies
a deliberate intent to deceive. I find it difficult to believe that NB's
programmers intended to deceive anyone; they simply made an error. (The
notion that NB *itself* might harbor deceptive intentions is simply
laughable. We are not even close to being able to create an AI that
models others' mental states and lies to people yet. Fortunately.)
Regardless, and we can speculate 'til the cows come home or ask the NB
guys themselves, the fact is that there is a NetBeans 6.5 and that the
6.1 updater does not hint that one should update to NB 6.5.

THANK you.

Now can we lay this to rest?
Given that there is no universal standard for version numbering, it is
dangerous to impose one's own on a product that one does not control.
It is even more dangerous

I'll take these veiled insults as a "no".

I am imposing nothing. I am merely pointing out that a statement uttered
by NB 6.1 and a statement on the NB Web site directly contradict one other.

Quibbling over what's a major version increase and what's not is
completely missing the point. A point that YOU had made, in your
previous paragraph.
It is better, in the case of NetBeans, to notice the announcement
provided by the start page

Disabled it; caused too much slowness and trouble. Besides, the "Check
For Updates" feature should be trustworthy to actually accurately report
whether there is anything new, so the start page shouldn't be needed for
this.
to visit their web site periodically

Yeah, right, add yet another bookmark to my burgeoning list, AND yet
another weekly to-do to yet another burgeoning list.

If I did that for every piece of software I used, both lists would
double in length and I'd get minus three hours of sleep a night on average.

This is the age of automation. I'm not going to manually check all kinds
of things periodically because my computer is apparently too lazy to do
the job right. :p
or to subscribe to their email notifications

It'll be a frosty day in Hell before I give out an email address that I
routinely read to any web site.
Failure to stay informed

I failed at nothing.

The NB "check for updates" feature failed to detect a rather significant
one.

By clicking "check for updates" I performed due diligence.

Indeed, it is supposed to check periodically in the background anyway,
so even by simply using it I would have been performing due diligence.

No, the only failure here is you, and you get failing grades in all of
the following: one, getting along with others; two, being polite to
one's elders; three, logical reasoning; and four, reading comprehension.

No lollipop for you, Lew.

secret decoder ring

Arne said:
I completely agree.

But as I explained to Lew, I have failed at nothing. Invoking "check for
updates" (by menu item or just by using the software long enough, as it
periodically checks in the background) should suffice as due diligence.
It's hardly MY fault if "check for updates" makes glaring omissions from
time to time -- this occurrence was my first indication that it might do so.

secret decoder ring

Mike said:
Not if it knows what's good for it.

Increasingly beside the point, which is that a feature prominently
labeled "check for updates" should certainly at least *notify* about an
update, even if it does not download or install it automatically, and
should certainly *not* utter a statement that explicitly contradicts a
statement on the product's Web site.

Yet I have demonstrated elsewhere that it has, indeed, done the latter
and failed to do the former in one particular instance.

secret decoder ring

Lew said:
No, it doesn't.

Sure it does.
It doesn't say "6.1 is the latest version". It says, "Your 6.1 version
is up to date".

Those statements are synonymous.

And 6.1 version is not up to date, is it?

So those statements are also false.
And yet, there is a 6.5 version of NetBeans. Doesn't that hint that
your analysis needs enhancement?

No, it just means that the statement made by the updater was incorrect.
My analysis of what that statement implied stands.

Elsewhere I have highlighted an explicitly contradictory pair of
statements, one uttered by the "check for updates" menu item of NB 6.1
when activated and one on the NB Web site.

It seems clear that both statements cannot simultaneously be true, and
that the one on the Web site is true.

It follows that the updater has a bug that causes it to make incorrect
statements to the user from time to time.

Elsewhere, another user reported reproducing this behavior, so it is
likely that the bug can be corrected with relative ease.
But you are investigating a specific problem that is hurting you, that's
exactly what you need to do.

No, I do not. I simply need to report the problem, not investigate it
laboriously like I was going to be fixing it myself. That's not my
responsibility. It is the development team's responsibility.

If you want me to do that work for them, even though I have other fish
to fry right now, my going rate is $60 an hour.
I must have missed it.

That you have. Reread my earlier posts if you want to find it.
Otherwise, this discussion is over.
Which it doesn't do.

It certainly does. I posted the exact message a short time ago, along
with a message on the NB Web site that directly contradicts it. Of the
two, the message on the Web site appears to be accurate, making it the
updater that is in error.
And yet NetBeans 6.5 is the most recent version.

That would mean that the Web site has two contradictory pieces of
information: one, a certain statement at
http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/65/relnotes.html and two,
whatever data is retrieved by the NB updater when it goes checking for
whether there are any updates.

It's clearly possible that the bug in the NB updater is physically
located on their web server rather than in the client code in NB. It
remains the case that the bug exists, though, regardless of its precise
location.

If it's on the server, though, it might be possible to fix it simply by
updating an apparently-outdated piece of data somewhere on the site,
without having to change any of the client code. That would be convenient.
Depends on how you define "error".

It certainly includes the case that the software says, and I quote,
"Your IDE is up to date!" when the Web site makes it clear that that's
not true.
It happens that NB 6.5 is the most
recent version of NB, and, from your evidence, that version 6.1 doesn't
report that.

It in fact DOES, EXPLICITLY report the inverse, when asked explicitly to
"Check For Updates".

And that, by any reasonable definition, constitutes an error.
Maybe, like many, many other software products, versions
only report up-to-dateness in their own context and not that of some
later version when it comes out.

That does not make sense. If every version is an island, then every
version is always the most up to date version of that version, which
renders the whole notion of versions or of "up-to-dateness" useless.

Regardless of the above, it is not what users expect. Users expect that
a feature named "check for updates" will say "no updates available" if
and only if they are using the absolutely most current, gee-whiz,
bleeding-edge released version of a product. So, not beta or alpha
versions or nightly builds, but certainly versions prominently featured
as non-beta on the front page of the product's Web site.
It just means that you have to investigate what's different between the
setups. I suggest you examine netbeans.conf.

I haven't hand-hacked mine, so nothing about it should be "wrong" in any
trouble-causing way. If anything is, it means the preferences dialog
code contains a bug in that it wrote through a change without properly
validating it first.

Then again, I haven't used the preferences dialog to tweak anything that
was obviously related to NB's memory-allocation or garbage-collection
policy, either. So that stuff should be factory-default on my
installation, regardless. And if the factory defaults are bad, then once
again the fault lies elsewhere than with me.
I corrected that typo before you responded.

What? That's not a typo, it's a baldly false statement. It's perfectly
grammatical and correctly spelled, but semantically wrong, in other words.

And I certainly had not read any correction or retraction of it at the
time that I posted my response.
Who made that suggestion? Not I.

Somebody did.
It's not a question of you "munging" the file, but of it perhaps not
being optimal out of the box.

I should not need to hand-hack a .conf file just to use a product in the
manner intended by its developers. This isn't the dark ages when the
state of the art in computer user interfaces was a unix command prompt,
vi, and emacs. This is twenty years later.
The process size is not a reliable indicator of maximum heap, quite the
contrary. It actually indicates that -Xmx is far below 200 MB. Process
size includes class space, the JVM itself and a host of non-heap
allocations.

Wrong. Generously assuming that all of that stuff required a whopping 50
megs, if the -Xmx was the next lower setting, 128M, the process size
would be at most around 180. 200+ therefore requires the -Xmx be at 256
or higher, though a process size below 300 or so would indicate that the
actual Java heap is not all the way up to 256 megs in size.

With tens of megs of room in the heap, GC pauses should then only be
occasional and very brief.

The problem observed is something unrelated to memory use, save that it
may have CAUSED memory use. With the stuff open I usually have open, NB
is usually around 150-180M in size. When it goes into freezy-slushy-mode
it bloats up suddenly to up to 240. Something is both creating and
referencing a lot of objects AND using a lot of CPU when that happens.

Packratting combined with consequent ArrayList/HashMap resizing could be
the culprit.
Perhaps, or perhaps not. Or perhaps more people who use NB are
modifying netbeans.conf than you think.

Few users hand-hack configuration files in this day and age. That is a
statistical fact, Jack.
In any event, empirical evidence is best. If you adjust the
configuration and the problem goes away, Bob's your uncle.

I do not know how, and I'd much rather it work properly out of the box
anyway.

Lew

AL said:
I couldn't help noticing how busy you were posting to this subject so I
did a quick read of your material. I may have missed it, but what
response did you receive from the NB folks about this "omission"?
Seeing how you claim to exercise due diligence and have failed at
nothing, you surely have addressed this problem with the people who
might actually resolve the matter. So, what *was* their response? IMWTK.

For those whose inquiring minds want to know what "IMWTK" means:
"Inquiring minds want to know".

Lew

secret said:
I am getting rather tired of your arrogance, Lew. You do not decide
whether what I say "counts" or not. WE ARE ALL EQUALS HERE. GET THAT
THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL, PLEASE, BEFORE YOU DRIVE BOTH OF US BATTY!

re-plonk