    it in Linux? This is just for testing.

    Thanks
    DaveC

    DaveC, Jul 9, 2004

  2. "DaveC" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9521C3784D510ohirohotmailcom@203.96.16.33...
    > I know this is the wrong group but I need a little pointing in a direction
    > please.
    >
    > I need to write an implementation of a yet to be published protocol. It is
    > transported over the internet via IP. Can any one help me with ideas of

    how
    > to write such drivers in Windows? or if that's not doable should I develop
    > it in Linux? This is just for testing.
    >
    > Thanks
    > DaveC

    One of the groups in news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.* would be the place
    to ask about writing Windows drivers.

    john

    John Harrison, Jul 9, 2004

  3. DaveC

    Phlip Guest

    http://groups.google.com

    > I need to write an implementation of a yet to be published protocol. It is
    > transported over the internet via IP. Can any one help me with ideas of

    how
    > to write such drivers in Windows? or if that's not doable should I develop
    > it in Linux? This is just for testing.

    I have a very long shotgun, but when I put the barrel in my mouth I can't
    reach the trigger. Should I attempt this under Windows or Linux? This is
    just for testing.

    Why the hell do you need a new wire-level protocol? Just stuff your data
    into XML and mail it out on the HTTP protocol. I could write a server for
    that in my sleep.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Jul 9, 2004
  4. DaveC

    marbac Guest

    Phlip wrote:

    > Why the hell do you need a new wire-level protocol? Just stuff your data
    > into XML and mail it out on the HTTP protocol. I could write a server for
    > that in my sleep.

    Let me inform you, that the ip layer is not a "wire-level-protocol". The
    "wire-level" is layer 1 (physical layer)and maybe some parts of layer
    2 . tcp/ip is arranged in layer 3 and 4 (Network and Transport layer).

    regards marbac

    marbac, Jul 9, 2004
  5. DaveC

    Phlip Guest

    marbac wrote:

    > Phlip wrote:

    > > Why the hell do you need a new wire-level protocol? Just stuff your data
    > > into XML and mail it out on the HTTP protocol. I could write a server

    for
    > > that in my sleep.

    > Let me inform you, that the ip layer is not a "wire-level-protocol". The
    > "wire-level" is layer 1 (physical layer)and maybe some parts of layer
    > 2 . tcp/ip is arranged in layer 3 and 4 (Network and Transport layer).

    Whoops; you're right. My mistake.

    The OP should _definitely_ invent a new protocol at the network and
    transport layer.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Jul 9, 2004
  6. DaveC

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    DaveC <> wrote in message news:<Xns9521C3784D510ohirohotmailcom@203.96.16.33>...
    > I know this is the wrong group but I need a little pointing in a direction
    > please.
    >
    > I need to write an implementation of a yet to be published protocol. It is
    > transported over the internet via IP. Can any one help me with ideas of how
    > to write such drivers in Windows? or if that's not doable should I develop
    > it in Linux? This is just for testing.

    In a suitable newsgroup (e.g. comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32) ask
    about the Winsock SPI (Service provider Interface).

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Jul 9, 2004
  7. DaveC

    The Wizard Guest

    > I need to write an implementation of a yet to be published protocol. It is
    > transported over the internet via IP. Can any one help me with ideas of

    how
    > to write such drivers in Windows? or if that's not doable should I develop
    > it in Linux? This is just for testing.

    Is it an application layer protocol ? A middleware ? A transport protocol ?

    Because if you wanted to use TCP as a transport protocol you could take
    advantage of the well known socket API that you can find in every Unix like
    distribution...

    The Wizard

    The Wizard, Jul 9, 2004
  8. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    "Phlip" <> wrote in

    > marbac wrote:
    >
    >> Phlip wrote:

    >> > Why the hell do you need a new wire-level protocol? Just stuff your
    >> > data into XML and mail it out on the HTTP protocol. I could write a
    >> > server

    > for
    >> > that in my sleep.

    >> Let me inform you, that the ip layer is not a "wire-level-protocol".
    >> The
    >> "wire-level" is layer 1 (physical layer)and maybe some parts of
    >> layer
    >> 2 . tcp/ip is arranged in layer 3 and 4 (Network and Transport
    >> layer).

    > Whoops; you're right. My mistake.
    >
    > The OP should _definitely_ invent a new protocol at the network and
    > transport layer.

    Yes I should :).. you should stop asking questions and go back to those Alt
    news groups.

    DaveC

    DaveC, Jul 9, 2004
  9. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    "The Wizard" <> wrote in

    >> I need to write an implementation of a yet to be published protocol.
    >> It is transported over the internet via IP. Can any one help me with
    >> ideas of

    > how
    >> to write such drivers in Windows? or if that's not doable should I
    >> develop it in Linux? This is just for testing.

    > Is it an application layer protocol ? A middleware ? A transport
    > protocol ?
    >
    > Because if you wanted to use TCP as a transport protocol you could
    > take advantage of the well known socket API that you can find in every
    > Unix like distribution...
    >
    > The Wizard

    I said IP and I meant it, I was not joking like many people here seem to
    think? I did'nt expect such a hostile responce for asking a question.

    DaveC

    DaveC, Jul 9, 2004
  10. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    (Jerry Coffin) wrote in

    > DaveC <> wrote in message
    >> I know this is the wrong group but I need a little pointing in a
    >> direction please.
    >>
    >> I need to write an implementation of a yet to be published protocol.
    >> It is transported over the internet via IP. Can any one help me with
    >> ideas of how to write such drivers in Windows? or if that's not
    >> doable should I develop it in Linux? This is just for testing.

    > In a suitable newsgroup (e.g. comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32) ask
    > about the Winsock SPI (Service provider Interface).

    No I will not ask about sockets, AKA TCP/IP.

    DaveC

    DaveC, Jul 9, 2004
  11. DaveC

    Phlip Guest

    DaveC wrote:

    > Yes I should :).. you should stop asking questions and go back to those

    Alt
    > news groups.

    Since '97 I have helped folks, on this newsgroup, provide business value to
    their stakeholders.

    The value of creating a new protocol at the IP level is negligible. You are
    discussing adding another control layer; a peer of TCP and UDP. The cost is
    extraordinarily high, beginning with the cost of persnickety driver
    development.

    Now, what business value do you expect this new protocol to provide?

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Jul 9, 2004
  12. DaveC

    Joe Laughlin Guest

    DaveC wrote:
    > "The Wizard" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> I need to write an implementation of a yet to be
    >>> published protocol. It is transported over the internet
    >>> via IP. Can any one help me with ideas of

    >> how
    >>> to write such drivers in Windows? or if that's not
    >>> doable should I develop it in Linux? This is just for
    >>> testing.

    >> Is it an application layer protocol ? A middleware ? A
    >> transport protocol ?
    >>
    >> Because if you wanted to use TCP as a transport protocol
    >> you could take advantage of the well known socket API
    >> that you can find in every Unix like distribution...
    >>
    >> The Wizard
    >>

    > I said IP and I meant it, I was not joking like many
    > people here seem to think? I did'nt expect such a hostile
    > responce for asking a question.
    >
    > DaveC

    I'm confused about why you need to write a "driver" (by which I mean a
    device driver) to implement something that's running over IP.

    Anyways, this is a C++ newsgroup, discussing standard C++. Your question is
    off-topic.

    Joe Laughlin, Jul 10, 2004
  13. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    "Phlip" <> wrote in

    > DaveC wrote:
    >
    >> Yes I should :).. you should stop asking questions and go back to
    >> those

    > Alt
    >> news groups.

    > Since '97 I have helped folks, on this newsgroup, provide business
    > value to their stakeholders.
    >
    > The value of creating a new protocol at the IP level is negligible.
    > You are discussing adding another control layer; a peer of TCP and
    > UDP. The cost is extraordinarily high, beginning with the cost of
    > persnickety driver development.
    >
    > Now, what business value do you expect this new protocol to provide?

    I'm sure you are very good at what you do, I'm just glad you were not
    around to count dollars and cents when TCP was invented. Where would we be
    now if that were the case?

    Further, I typicaly read something before commenting on its value. I hope
    I'm not the only person left who places science above corporate interests
    or is that a false dream in todays world?

    But if you insist that I talk in your "lingo". The protocol I am writing
    will plug a wide open hole for a particular sector of the market place. If
    you looked hard enough you would see it also. Prior to this no agreeable
    standard has been found so I hope to propose one.

    DaveC

    DaveC, Jul 10, 2004
  14. DaveC

    Phlip Guest

    DaveC wrote:

    > But if you insist that I talk in your "lingo". The protocol I am writing
    > will plug a wide open hole for a particular sector of the market place. If
    > you looked hard enough you would see it also. Prior to this no agreeable
    > standard has been found so I hope to propose one.

    Vetting science against business interests is fun. (BTW TCP sucks, or we
    wouldn't have trunks crammed with spam, malware, and attacks these days.)

    I would do this by finding an IP simulator that works in the user space,
    above the driver level. Then I'd write the XCP protocol or whatever, and
    integration-test it against concurrent packets of TCP and other existing
    protocols. Only after w

    You won't admit what it does or what it's for, right? Note that TCP/IP was
    invented in the early 70s. Hardware is a little faster these days. IPv6
    might already have what you need, and a simple transport protocol on top of
    the sockets layer might also already have what you need.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Jul 10, 2004
  15. DaveC

    Phlip Guest

    > DaveC wrote:
    >
    > > But if you insist that I talk in your "lingo". The protocol I am writing
    > > will plug a wide open hole for a particular sector of the market place.

    If
    > > you looked hard enough you would see it also. Prior to this no agreeable
    > > standard has been found so I hope to propose one.

    > Vetting science against business interests is fun. (BTW TCP sucks, or we
    > wouldn't have trunks crammed with spam, malware, and attacks these days.)
    >
    > I would do this by finding an IP simulator that works in the user space,
    > above the driver level. Then I'd write the XCP protocol or whatever, and
    > integration-test it against concurrent packets of TCP and other existing
    > protocols. Only after

    ....fully excersizing the new protocol would I commit to implementing it
    inside a real driver layer.

    Phlip, Jul 10, 2004