    on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
    Thanks in Advance.
    Cheers

    Tony, Oct 28, 2011

  2. On 28/10/2011 19:20, Tony allegedly wrote:
    > Hello:
    > I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
    > provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
    > does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
    > exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
    > just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
    > random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
    > received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
    > throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
    > and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
    > at what packets were going across the interface with something like
    > tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
    > on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
    > Thanks in Advance.
    > Cheers

    Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how you could best
    debug your application? Or how you could write it better so that it be
    more easily debugged?

    If the latter: logs, logs, logs, and JMX if you wanna be fancy.

    If the former, and you do not have some fine-grained logs you can
    enable, and can't sinff the traffic, then I guess you're pretty much
    screwed.

    --
    DF.
    Determinism trumps correctness.

    Daniele Futtorovic, Oct 29, 2011

  3. Tony

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:20:38 -0700 (PDT), Tony
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Hello:
    >I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
    >provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
    >does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
    >exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
    >just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
    >random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
    >received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
    >throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
    >and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
    >at what packets were going across the interface with something like
    >tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
    >on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
    >Thanks in Advance.
    >Cheers

    I use WireShark. I don't know how it would be for you.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Oct 31, 2011
  4. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    >>I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
    >>provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
    >>does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
    >>exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
    >>just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
    >>random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
    >>received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
    >>throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
    >>and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
    >>at what packets were going across the interface with something like
    >>tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
    >>on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
    >>Thanks in Advance.
    >>Cheers

    > I use WireShark. I don't know how it would be for you.

    WireShark needs root-privileges, as well, so probably not.

    to the OP:
    How about changing the exeception handler to write some
    more useful information into the logs?

    Andreas Leitgeb, Oct 31, 2011
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Oct 28, 1:20 pm, Tony <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    > I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
    > provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
    > does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
    > exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
    > just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
    > random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
    > received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
    > throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
    > and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
    > at what packets were going across the interface with something like
    > tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
    > on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
    > Thanks in Advance.
    > Cheers

    Thanks all

    Tony, Oct 31, 2011
  6. Tony

    Joe Collins Guest

    If you can't get root access or otherwise use wireshark, have you
    considered setting up a proxy? All it needs to do is write the
    packets to disk and then forward them along.

    Joe Collins, Nov 1, 2011