    preferably easy to install on windows..

    thanks

    , Feb 28, 2009

  2. Christopher Guest

    On Feb 28, 4:53 am, wrote:
    > hi,
    > anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
    > would reccommend?
    > preferably easy to install on windows..
    >
    > thanks

    Use winsock
    It is already installed.
    It was easy to learn for basic use, even for asynchronous or IO-
    Completion based networking.

    I dont see what advantage any library will make over using the native
    API, unless it is tailored for something specific, but you didn't say
    what specific needs you had. That isn't an invite, as network
    programming is most likely OT here.

    Of course a better place to ask would be a newsgroup specific to
    windows, network programming, or both.
    Such as alt.programming.winsock

    Christopher, Feb 28, 2009

  3. * :
    > hi,
    > anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
    > would reccommend?
    > preferably easy to install on windows..

    Recommendation without having used: poco.

    Please report experience. :)

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach, Feb 28, 2009

    > Recommendation without having used: poco.
    >
    > Please report experience. :)

    thanks, just what i was looking for, the winsock API is a bit bare
    for my liking
    poco looks great, especially the multi platform support, because i use
    ubuntu,vista and tiger os's.

    , Feb 28, 2009
  5. <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
    > would reccommend?
    > preferably easy to install on windows..

    You can take a look at this one:

    http://www.lenholgate.com/archives/000637.html

    Chris M. Thomasson, Mar 1, 2009
  6. "Chris M. Thomasson" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >> anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
    >> would reccommend?
    >> preferably easy to install on windows..

    > You can take a look at this one:
    >
    > http://www.lenholgate.com/archives/000637.html

    OOPS! This NOT portable; sorry about that!

    ;^(...

    Chris M. Thomasson, Mar 1, 2009

    , Mar 1, 2009

    > Recommendation without having used: poco.
    >
    > Please report experience. :)

    so far so good, it built very nicely on mac and ubuntu had some linker
    errors(my bad)
    its a very clean library, with good documentation and caters for all
    my needs.

    one problem though,it doesn't work with mingw :( and i'm not
    converting to microsofts stuff **shudder**...

    , Mar 1, 2009

    On Feb 28, 5:53 am, wrote:
    > hi,
    > anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
    > would reccommend?
    > preferably easy to install on windows..
    >
    > thanks

    Try asio which has been accepted into boost. I briefly looked at it
    before it became part of boost and it looked good. It is also cross
    platform.

    HTH

    , Mar 1, 2009
  10. * :
    >> Recommendation without having used: poco.
    >>
    >> Please report experience. :)

    > so far so good, it built very nicely on mac and ubuntu had some linker
    > errors(my bad)
    > its a very clean library, with good documentation and caters for all
    > my needs.
    >
    > one problem though,it doesn't work with mingw :(

    What's the problem with mingw + poco?

    > and i'm not
    > converting to microsofts stuff **shudder**...

    Cheers,

    - Alf

    --
    Due to hosting requirements I need visits to [http://alfps.izfree.com/].

    Alf P. Steinbach, Mar 1, 2009

    > What's the problem with mingw + poco?
    >
    > > and i'm not
    > > converting to microsofts stuff **shudder**...

    > Cheers,
    >
    > - Alf
    >
    > --
    > Due to hosting requirements I need visits to [http://alfps.izfree.com/].
    > No ads, and there is some C++ stuff! :) Just going there is good. Linking
    > to it is even better! Thanks in advance!

    on vista its supposed to build in vc++ and doesn't build in mingw
    as it comes as a vcproject...

    but i suppose i do most of my c++ on tiger/ubuntu so it doesn't really
    matter

    i tried to build boost.asio but it was giving me a nightmare...

    btw asio isn't becoming part of the standard is it?

    , Mar 2, 2009
  12. Hi,

    > anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
    > would reccommend?
    > preferably easy to install on windows..

    If you can use the really big thing try ACE:
    http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html
    Note: This is not just a small Networking library.

    Christof

    Christof Donat, Mar 2, 2009