networking libraries

eminhanif

hi,
anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
would reccommend?
preferably easy to install on windows..

thanks

Christopher

hi,
anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
would reccommend?
preferably easy to install on windows..

thanks

Use winsock
It is already installed.
It was easy to learn for basic use, even for asynchronous or IO-
Completion based networking.

I dont see what advantage any library will make over using the native
API, unless it is tailored for something specific, but you didn't say
what specific needs you had. That isn't an invite, as network
programming is most likely OT here.

Of course a better place to ask would be a newsgroup specific to
windows, network programming, or both.
Such as alt.programming.winsock

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
hi,
anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
would reccommend?
preferably easy to install on windows..

Recommendation without having used: poco.

Please report experience. :)

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

eminhanif

Recommendation without having used: poco.
Please report experience. :)

thanks, just what i was looking for, the winsock API is a bit bare
for my liking
poco looks great, especially the multi platform support, because i use
ubuntu,vista and tiger os's.

eminhanif

Recommendation without having used: poco.

Please report experience. :)

so far so good, it built very nicely on mac and ubuntu had some linker
errors(my bad)
its a very clean library, with good documentation and caters for all
my needs.

one problem though,it doesn't work with mingw :( and i'm not
converting to microsofts stuff **shudder**...

AnonMail2005

hi,
anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
would reccommend?
preferably easy to install on windows..

thanks

Try asio which has been accepted into boost. I briefly looked at it
before it became part of boost and it looked good. It is also cross
platform.

HTH

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
so far so good, it built very nicely on mac and ubuntu had some linker
errors(my bad)
its a very clean library, with good documentation and caters for all
my needs.

one problem though,it doesn't work with mingw :(

What's the problem with mingw + poco?
and i'm not
converting to microsofts stuff **shudder**...

Cheers,

- Alf

eminhanif

What's the problem with mingw + poco?
Cheers,

- Alf

on vista its supposed to build in vc++ and doesn't build in mingw
as it comes as a vcproject...

but i suppose i do most of my c++ on tiger/ubuntu so it doesn't really
matter

i tried to build boost.asio but it was giving me a nightmare...

btw asio isn't becoming part of the standard is it?