New ASP project Won't recognize my user name and password!

Jozef

Hello,

I've set up VS2003 on my laptop which is running Win XP pro in a stand alone
situation, no domain or dc. When I try and "Create a blank solution", I use
the Laptop IP address since localhost returns an error. When it connects to
the web server (my laptop) it prompts me for a user name and password. I
enter my Windows password (since I'm the only user on the computer aside
from the administrator) and it returns an error "The user name and password
you entered is incorrect, or you do not have authorization to perform this
operation". If I use the Administrator user name and password, I get the
same message.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

stop, you should fix the underlying problem. You should be able to connect
to localhost. What errors are you seeing there? eventvwr logs?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ www.lulu.com/owc
Forth-coming VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley 2006

Jozef

Hi Alvin,

If I use local host to create a new solution, i get the error message
"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not
running ASP.net version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web
applications or services". When I use the IP address it seems to work fine
until I hit the User Name and Password dialog.

FWIW I've never been able to use localhost on any Windows XP machine I've
used so I've just stayed away from it. Regarding the "not running 1.1"
error, I have gone and manually registered using aspnet_regiis.exe and have
actually run an ASP.NET project that is there already. This kind of thing
drives me nuts!! ;)

There are no errors in the EventViewer, nothing. The last application event
that occured was on the 9th, and that wasn't a warning or an error, just an
entry.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jozef said:
Hello,

I've set up VS2003 on my laptop which is running Win XP pro in a stand alone
situation, no domain or dc. When I try and "Create a blank solution", I use
the Laptop IP address since localhost returns an error. When it connects to
the web server (my laptop) it prompts me for a user name and password. I
enter my Windows password (since I'm the only user on the computer aside
from the administrator) and it returns an error "The user name and password
you entered is incorrect, or you do not have authorization to perform
this
operation". If I use the Administrator user name and password, I get the
same message.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Jozef

Alright, I managed to get around the password thing by using user ASPNET
wtih no password. *phew!* still a little perplexed, but it's working at
least.

Jozef said:
Hello,

I've set up VS2003 on my laptop which is running Win XP pro in a stand alone
situation, no domain or dc. When I try and "Create a blank solution", I use
the Laptop IP address since localhost returns an error. When it connects to
the web server (my laptop) it prompts me for a user name and password. I
enter my Windows password (since I'm the only user on the computer aside
from the administrator) and it returns an error "The user name and password
you entered is incorrect, or you do not have authorization to perform
this
operation". If I use the Administrator user name and password, I get the
same message.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Jozef

ARGH!!!! Now when I try to debug and run a simple page (nothing fancy, just
the first page with one label on it) I get an error stating that it "can't
find the URL http://MyIPAddress/MyFolder/MyProject.vbproj. Please check
your typing" (I've tried a few variations, even removing the folder) Even
through the project had already be saved once (initially) and I can navigate
through the file system, it won't let me save it as a normal file, I have to
save it as http://etc.

I have a web server, Windows 2000 that I'd rather use as a project location,
but I don't want my laptop to join the domain and can't seem to get that to
work either. Would it be better to continue to try and resolve the issue
with connecting to the local machine or try and resolve connecting to the
server?

Jozef said:
Hello,

I've set up VS2003 on my laptop which is running Win XP pro in a stand alone
situation, no domain or dc. When I try and "Create a blank solution", I use
the Laptop IP address since localhost returns an error. When it connects to
the web server (my laptop) it prompts me for a user name and password. I
enter my Windows password (since I'm the only user on the computer aside
from the administrator) and it returns an error "The user name and password
you entered is incorrect, or you do not have authorization to perform
this
operation". If I use the Administrator user name and password, I get the
same message.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Jozef

More info....

When I try and ping localhost, it returns the loopback (127.0.0.1). That
doesn't sound quite normal to me. ;)

Jozef said:
Hello,

I've set up VS2003 on my laptop which is running Win XP pro in a stand alone
situation, no domain or dc. When I try and "Create a blank solution", I use
the Laptop IP address since localhost returns an error. When it connects to
the web server (my laptop) it prompts me for a user name and password. I
enter my Windows password (since I'm the only user on the computer aside
from the administrator) and it returns an error "The user name and password
you entered is incorrect, or you do not have authorization to perform
this
operation". If I use the Administrator user name and password, I get the
same message.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

it's normal. May i suggest a complete re-install. I think you already knew
that and was hoping to avoid it.