New C/C++ Source Code Search Engine

sembiance

Hi folks :)
I've been working on a C/C++ Source Code search engine website for over
a year now, and just thought I'd let you all know that I just put it
live a few minutes ago.

It searches 99 million lines of C/C++ code and allows you to choose
exactly what to search for (classes, function names, comments, called
functions, structs, unions, etc.)

Anyways, I hope some people fine it useful, you can find it at:

http://csourcesearch.net/

Oh, and it's just one little server, so it might be all that fast,
sorry, but it's all I can afford.

gogodidi

WOW....
This is AMAZING!!!!!
my host only gave me 500 MB, but if I had more, I'd gladly mirror this
for you! that would put the load on the server WAY down.
(i don't think 88 million lines fit on that small of a space, if it
does though, please contact me and I'll do it!)

sembiance

Thanks for the good words :)

The MySQL database is about 5GB and the Lucene indexes are another 6GB,
and the C/C++ code files are another 20GB or so.
So nope, it won't fit on your host.

In fact I have thousands of more packages I'd like to add but I simply
don't have the hard drive space or CPU time to spare at the moment.

Cong Wang

Hi folks :)
I've been working on a C/C++ Source Code search engine website for over
a year now, and just thought I'd let you all know that I just put it
live a few minutes ago.

It searches 99 million lines of C/C++ code and allows you to choose
exactly what to search for (classes, function names, comments, called
functions, structs, unions, etc.)

Anyways, I hope some people fine it useful, you can find it at:

http://csourcesearch.net/

Oh, and it's just one little server, so it might be all that fast,
sorry, but it's all I can afford.
Oh,very good!It is good for reading open source code.Advanced thanks to
you!!

Netocrat

Hi folks :)
I've been working on a C/C++ Source Code search engine website for over
a year now, and just thought I'd let you all know that I just put it
live a few minutes ago.

It searches 99 million lines of C/C++ code and allows you to choose
exactly what to search for (classes, function names, comments, called
functions, structs, unions, etc.)

Anyways, I hope some people fine it useful, you can find it at:

http://csourcesearch.net/

Oh, and it's just one little server, so it might be all that fast,
sorry, but it's all I can afford.

Well done, the result of your effort is great. It certainly beats hunting
around unzipping and searching manually through local archives, and the
ease of moving around within the source and comparing against files from
other packages is testament to the work you've put into the site.

A couple of suggestions: firstly, there's no overview of what the database
contains. I get the impression from the About link that all the source
has been derived from Gentoo's Portage. It would be good to have a link
to a page describing how the source arrived in your database, and
on what basis source is included. e.g. the database consists of "all
source in the Linux Gentoo distribution excluding package trees X, Y and
Z"; or "Gentoo's source as well as the packages trees A and B from
OpenBSD's ports collection, as well as the independently selected projects
C and D").

The uncluttered interface is very user-friendly - nice work. You could
increase the default text size which is quite small on my Firefox browser.

Looking foward to the addition of the kernels of the various BSDs and
Linux if they're in the todo list.

sembiance

Well done, the result of your effort is great. It certainly beats hunting
around unzipping and searching manually through local archives, and the
ease of moving around within the source and comparing against files from
other packages is testament to the work you've put into the site.

Thanks :)
A couple of suggestions: firstly, there's no overview of what the database
contains. I get the impression from the About link that all the source
has been derived from Gentoo's Portage. It would be good to have a link
to a page describing how the source arrived in your database, and
on what basis source is included. e.g. the database consists of "all
source in the Linux Gentoo distribution excluding package trees X, Y and
Z"; or "Gentoo's source as well as the packages trees A and B from
OpenBSD's ports collection, as well as the independently selected projects
C and D").

Yes, currently all the packages were scaped from the Gentoo Portage
database.
9,431 packages were found in the Gentoo database.
I've only had time to process 4,917 of those though.
And of those only 3,204 actuallty contained any C/C++ code.

So that leaves another 4,514 packages that I need to scan.
However right now I'm very very low on disk space, and it takes a LOT
of CPU time to process new packages.

I also have an additional 29,387 packages that I need to parse as well
that I scaped from other databases (freshmeat, sourceforge, etc)

I've taken your advice and added a quick 'stats' page that has some
general stats.

I'll add more specifics at a later time :)

Alex

Hi folks :)
I've been working on a C/C++ Source Code search engine website for over
a year now, and just thought I'd let you all know that I just put it
live a few minutes ago.

It searches 99 million lines of C/C++ code and allows you to choose
exactly what to search for (classes, function names, comments, called
functions, structs, unions, etc.)

Anyways, I hope some people fine it useful, you can find it at:

http://csourcesearch.net/

Oh, and it's just one little server, so it might be all that fast,
sorry, but it's all I can afford.

WOW that is really COOL. Thanks for all your hard work!!

sembiance

Hi folks, just wanted to give you an update.

The site now works with ALL Browsers, including Opera, Safari,
Konqueror and even Lynx! (When the site first launched only IE and
Firefox worked).

I've also added over 28 million new lines of code since launching.

The speed as also been improved upon and I'm doing even more to improve
speed in the future.

Just wanted to give you all an update :)

CBFalconer

Hi folks, just wanted to give you an update.

The site now works with ALL Browsers, including Opera, Safari,
Konqueror and even Lynx! (When the site first launched only IE
and Firefox worked).

I've also added over 28 million new lines of code since launching.

The speed as also been improved upon and I'm doing even more to
improve speed in the future.

Just wanted to give you all an update :)

Marvellous. However, when I insert "the site" as a URL in Firefox,
it doesn't seem to reach anything. It also fails in Netscape
4.75. Could you have failed to include proper context?