New freelancer

barry

Hi all,

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.
my site is www.motivateddesign.co.uk
What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)
Also wondering what the best way to attract me clients is? I am
looking for small creative work, nothing to big.

Regards

Barry Cooper

SAZ

Hi all,

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.
my site is <snip>
What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)
Also wondering what the best way to attract me clients is? I am
looking for small creative work, nothing to big.

Regards

Barry Cooper

"What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)"

If you don't want to hear the good with the bad, then don't ask for
feedback.

Neredbojias

Hi all,

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.
my site is www.motivateddesign.co.uk
What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)
Also wondering what the best way to attract me clients is? I am
looking for small creative work, nothing to big.

Regards

Barry Cooper

I started viewing your site in ie and tried to enlarge the text so I could
read it.

Have you ever thought of a career in longshoremanship?

Nik Coughlin

Hi all,

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.
my site is www.motivateddesign.co.uk
What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)
Also wondering what the best way to attract me clients is? I am
looking for small creative work, nothing to big.

http://www.motivateddesign.co.uk/fish/fish.html

No background in Firefox. You don't test in Firefox? If you're testing
against IE you are in for some heartbreak when viewing your pages in, well,
anything else.

Get someone else to proof read your site. On that particular page "nice
affect" should be "nice effect" but there are plenty of other little things
like that scattered throughout.

barry

http://www.motivateddesign.co.uk/fish/fish.html

No background in Firefox. You don't test in Firefox? If you're testing
against IE you are in for some heartbreak when viewing your pages in, well,
anything else.

Get someone else to proof read your site. On that particular page "nice
affect" should be "nice effect" but there are plenty of other little things
like that scattered throughout.

I tested most of my pages in Firefox I even use FireFTP, I must have
missed that one.

Will fix it tommorow.

Thanks

Barry

Nik Coughlin

I tested most of my pages in Firefox I even use FireFTP, I must have
missed that one.

Will fix it tommorow.

Thanks

You're welcome. I like the design of the main site (visually). Maybe the
header could be toned down a bit but otherwise it's quite pleasing.

Nik Coughlin

Hi all,

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.
my site is www.motivateddesign.co.uk
What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)
Also wondering what the best way to attract me clients is? I am
looking for small creative work, nothing to big.

Google will penalise you for the white-on-white text "Cambridge web design".
Don't do that. Don't try and hide things from the user that you want search
engines to see. They are smart enough to see that you are doing that.

mr rudeforth

I tested most of my pages in Firefox I even use FireFTP, I must have
missed that one.

Will fix it tommorow.
have you seen what happens when the text size is increased a couple or so
times on the tree site? i quite liked the trees though.

Hi all,

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.
my site is www.motivateddesign.co.uk
What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)

As you'll soon discover, a lot of the regulars here are only capable of
sarcasm and put-downs. However, it's best to keep in mind that many of them
are code technicians not web designers.

From a design perspective, your site is nice in terms of layout, colour
scheme, etc. It has some nice eye-catching elements.

There's work to be done from a technical point of view. For example:
http://www.motivateddesign.co.uk/html/gallery.htm

in FF is completely broken. Lots of overlapping divs (and the text within),
images out of place (compared to the IE layout -- the one I presume that's
your intended layout).

If you don't have it already, get the Web Developer toolbar extension for
FF. Great tool for seeing how everything "fits" together.

Also, I sometimes use Amaya for the same purpose. It's a crappy editor, but
it's great for debugging an already designed page.

dorayme

Hi all,

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.
my site is www.motivateddesign.co.uk
What do you think? Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)
Also wondering what the best way to attract me clients is? I am
looking for small creative work, nothing to big.

You have a talented print-page eye. This is a compliment, trust
me (not many have). And you are clearly competent in all sorts of
ways in actual technical html/css knowledge. So it was super
surprising to me how you could miss the fact that your pages
break into a sort of hell at very small user text size
adjustments.

Andy Dingley

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.

Hi, welcome to the shark pond.

First two rules:

1. It's about the money.

2. It's not about the technical merits of your work. Any old crap
sells, and the worse it is, the more they spend -- just look at the
rubbish that's palmed off on government IT projects!
my site is www.motivateddesign.co.uk
What do you think?

That said though, you've asked the techies what they think, so you're
going to get a techie view of things.

It's all a bit halfway-there to be honest. 8-(

There's an XHTML doctype to show how you're a whizzy right-up-to-2001
sort of guy, but then the pages aren't actually valid, so that's a bit
silly.

There's a "click here to validate" button, which is the web equivalent
of wearing a sign saying "Kick me". And yes, you're not all valid, and
now it's dead easy for your customers to see this, even if they didn't
know what the term meant a minute earlier..

There's stuff like this:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized

Now if I were interviewing for HTML coders, I'd ask them to identify at
least 4 or 5 problems with just those few lines of code.

The <table>s have gone away in favour of <div>s, so someone was paying
attention in the lecture, but the class names are bogus and there are
dodgy looking anonymous <span>s draped all over it.

Worst of all, usability is clearly not on the gameplan as you've set
pixel-sized fonts! (read Joe Clark)
..
Quality is everything

Yes. 8-(

So overall, it shows promise, but it's not the sort of work I'd expect
from someone who reads this newsgroup regularly. And a jobbing
designer's site must be _perfect_ if they're to wave it in front of
other geeks (although to be honest, your customers won't give a
monkey's)

As to the copy-writing, then Id like to see less about you and more
about me. Don't give me a life story (or at least, stick it out of the
way on a page I don't have to read), give me a manifesto. Tell me why
_your_ vision of how web design should be done will make _my_ site sell
2.5x as many widgets as it sold last month. Tell me what, tell me why,
but leave off the who.
Any feedback welcome (so long as its nice)

So don't post it to Usenet.
Also wondering what the best way to attract me clients is?

I find just going outdoors when I've forgotten to wear the "No, I will
NOT build your web site" T shirt does it.

You don't want clients, you want profitable clients. Clients who either
know what they want, or can be quickly led to what will make they happy.
Clients who can provide you the content and photo input you need,
correctly and on time. Clients who will let you do the techie stuff
they're paying you to do. Clients who don't have a teenager who "Knows
all about web design". Clients who will pay up at the end of the day.

Most clients are not like this. Most clients should be actively
_avoided_, as they're too costly to make happy for the pittance they can
afford.

You can serve this market, but only by doing the HTML equivalent of
flipping the same templated burger at every client. Personally I don't
want to do that all day.

Hey good review. . . even I enjoyed it.
There's a "click here to validate" button, which is the web equivalent
of wearing a sign saying "Kick me". And yes, you're not all valid, and
now it's dead easy for your customers to see this, even if they didn't
know what the term meant a minute earlier..

Now that's funny. (I personally didn't push the button but your point is
taken. . .)
As to the copy-writing, then Id like to see less about you and more
about me. Don't give me a life story (or at least, stick it out of the
way on a page I don't have to read), give me a manifesto. Tell me why
_your_ vision of how web design should be done will make _my_ site sell
2.5x as many widgets as it sold last month. Tell me what, tell me why,
but leave off the who.

Excellent advice.

Sell benefits, not features.

I've periodically checked some of the sites that people use in their sigs in
this group. I've encountered more than a few who go to great length to
describe their technical qualifications, their training in server-side this
or that, etc while trying to sell their services.

Who cares? Clients just want to know how all that technical razzle-dazzle
know-how benefits them. That's a principle that applies to all businesses,
not just web-design.
So don't post it to Usenet.

I think he -- the original OP -- meant that criticism should be
constructive, vice sarcastic or mean-spirited. This post is an example of
the former.

Nicely done response. Others in this ng could learn a lot from you. . .

barry

[...]

Thanks everyone for your advice,

I have spent the last 5 years teaching computer science in school, and
have had enough.
Then had a bright idea, you used to be a web designer, may be I should
do that again.
But that was in the days of the good old table and I am learning CSS
stuff as a go along.
Teaching does not (in my experience) allow time to learn interesting
new stuff.

I will try to make all of the recommended changes and if I feel brave
post the site again for another going over.

Regards and thanks again

Barry

Travis Newbury

Just starting life as a freelance web designer.

And it shows. Fire your editor:

Main page:
"I am currently working on my first batch of live projects, so I have
put up a sample of my personal work using HTML and CSS to produce
interesting designs. Click on the picture to see my work."

Customer translation:
"I am small and new, please go to my competition if you want a job
done by someone with a track record that will be here
tomorrow...." (Just tell them here are some quality examples, and
explain to them what YOU do right, and why your code is better than
the competition.)

Contact me page:
"If you have navigated your way to this page hopefully you are going
to contact me, "

Customer translation:
"Please contact me, I am desperate and need the money for
food..." (What the hell is "hopefully" you will contact me?)

Contact me page:
"I am located in Cambridge CB1 area so most of my work is in the
Cambridgeshire area, however I am happy to travel further for the
right job."

Customer translation:
"I will do anything for work. My kids are starving please give me a
job" (Come-on, you can provide services to anyone in the world, its
the freaking internet for crying lout loud.)

Home Page:
"If you are looking for a web designer or a software trainer in the
Cambridgeshire area then please contact me, I will be happy to come
and see you. Initial design costs are difficult to put a finger on
without a good chat."

Customer translation:
"Hi I'm small, and haven't a clue what I should charge you, but I want
to be your friend and have some tea and crumpets while we chat...
(Your a business not a friend. Present yourself like one. Friends
"chat", business "discuss")

Services Page:
" To read further details on my consultation and design process
presented in a more formal way click here or contact me and we can
have a chat."

Customer translation:
"WTF?" (Here is your new mantra "I am a business... I am a
business..." No one wants to "chat" with you. They want an expert
that will research their company and come up with the best web
solution.)

Services Page:
"I am a fan of really good creative design, and can draw inspiration
from just about anywhere; as well as that I have had the advantage of
working in the print and new media industries with some truly talented
people. But if you are not a designer and want to know what really
good design looks like and may be get an idea of what can be achieved
you should have a rummage through some of these links below."

Customer translation:
"Man this guy has some real confidence issues" (Your text is VERY
passive. When I read this I envision a person that is almost begging
to get my work.)

I like your site design. It is your words that really suck. You show
no confidence at all when you try to come across like a friend.
People want an expert not a friend. A friend made their old web
page. They want an expert to make their new one.

YMMV

Don't tell them what is wrong, tell them what is right!

Travis Newbury

I tested most of my pages in Firefox I even use FireFTP, I must have
missed that one.

What does using FireFTP have to do with testing a webpage?
Well, I am glad to see you use FireFTP, uh, what does that have to do
with testing the page?

Toby A Inkster

Andy said:
There's stuff like this:

Now if I were interviewing for HTML coders, I'd ask them to identify at
least 4 or 5 problems with just those few lines of code.

1. The language attribute is obsolete.
2. MIME types are typically written in all lowercase.
3. RFC 4329 says that "text/javascript" is an obsolete MIME type, however
the standards-compliant MIME type for Javascript isn't supported in
IE and many older browsers.
4. Comments around script haven't been necessary for well over a decade.
5. Comments around script are actually harmful if interpreted as XHTML.
6. This chunk of Javascript has been inserted entirely for the benefit of
Netscape 4, even though rest of page does not support it. So the script
as a whole is redundant.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 6 days, 15:29.]

The End of an Era
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/06/26/end-of-an-era/