    Tmt353 Guest

    Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    programming?

    Tmt353, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Tmt353

    Matt Wharton Guest

    http://www.google.com

    Matt Wharton, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Tmt353

    Havatcha Guest

    Tmt353 wrote:

    > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    > programming?

    I would recommend a trip to your local library, where you should be able
    to 'download' a book from one of the shelves that will give you the
    basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure because:

    a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

    b) You will spend many frustrating hours trying to find a webpage
    general enough for your needs.

    Havatcha, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Tmt353

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    (Tmt353) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    > programming?

    One possibility would be www.mindview.net, where you can download
    _Thinking in C++_ volumes 1 and 2.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

    Jerry Coffin, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Tmt353

    Sumit Rajan Guest

    "Havatcha" <> wrote in message
    > a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

    That's interesting. Do you have any evidence to support this?

    Regards,
    Sumit.

    Sumit Rajan, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Tmt353

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Havatcha" <> wrote in message

    > basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure because:
    >
    > a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

    So *that's* what's wrong with me! :)

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Tmt353

    Guest

    (Tmt353) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    > programming?

    Start programming from where? From no ability to program at all?
    Or having programmed in another lang and you want to pick up C++?
    Or some other?

    If you've never done any programming at all, let me recommend that
    you take some college level courses. Programming is a *HUGE* topic.
    At the very least, get yourself some community college level training.
    The summer semester should be starting any time now.

    If you've worked in other languages, then I suggest _Accelerated C++_
    by Koenig and Moo. Wonderful book.

    After that, it depends on where you want to go and what area you
    want to program.
    Socks

    , Jun 25, 2004
  8. Tmt353

    Chris Theis Guest

    "Havatcha" <> wrote in message

    > Tmt353 wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    > > programming?

    > I would recommend a trip to your local library, where you should be able
    > to 'download' a book from one of the shelves that will give you the
    > basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure because:
    >
    > a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

    Hmm...what I´d be interested in is how you´re going to develop software if
    you´re not going to look at a screen? :)

    Cheers
    Chris

    Chris Theis, Jun 25, 2004
  9. Hi!

    Yes I know. It is www.codeguru.com or org or net, www.codeproject.com

    Bye...

    Vladimir Shishkovsky, Jun 26, 2004
  10. Tmt353

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Chris Theis" <> wrote in message

    > "Havatcha" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Tmt353 wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    > > > programming?

    > > I would recommend a trip to your local library, where you should be able
    > > to 'download' a book from one of the shelves that will give you the
    > > basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure

    because:

    > > a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,
    > >

    > Hmm...what I´d be interested in is how you´re going to develop software if
    > you´re not going to look at a screen? :)

    Actually, I've written quite a bit of software without looking at
    a screen. Mostly COBOL and FORTRAN. A long time ago. Those machines
    didn't *have* screens (or keyboards). I wrote my code with a pencil.

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Tmt353

    Roberto Dias Guest

    some good stuffs for helping begginers like me and you.

    (Tmt353) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    > programming?

    Well...

    If you are looking for a web site, try cplus.about.com, it has helped
    me on basic problems. Maybe you should buy a good book, first of this,
    as the colleague said before, if doing this I suggest "C++ How To
    Program", by Deitel & Deitel, it fits better for newbies, like you and
    me.
    Feel free to send me e-mails, maybe we could help ourselves.

    good luck,

    Roberto Dias
    Recife/PE - Brazil

    Roberto Dias, Jun 28, 2004
  12. Tmt353

    Havatcha Guest

    >>a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,
    >>

    > Hmm...what I´d be interested in is how you´re going to develop software if
    > you´re not going to look at a screen? :)

    You do the input with keyboard and screen, you do the design and
    development with pen, paper, brain, fresh air and mild stimulants.

    Havatcha, Jun 28, 2004
  13. Tmt353

    Havatcha Guest

    Sumit Rajan wrote:

    > "Havatcha" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

    > That's interesting. Do you have any evidence to support this?

    Only my own exp...expeeeeereeee....aaaance *drools*

    Havatcha, Jun 28, 2004
  14. Tmt353

    Chris Theis Guest

    "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Theis" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Havatcha" <> wrote in message

    > > > I would recommend a trip to your local library, where you should be

    able
    > > > to 'download' a book from one of the shelves that will give you the
    > > > basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure

    > because:
    > > >
    > > > a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,
    > > >

    > > Hmm...what I´d be interested in is how you´re going to develop software

    if
    > > you´re not going to look at a screen? :)

    > Actually, I've written quite a bit of software without looking at
    > a screen. Mostly COBOL and FORTRAN. A long time ago. Those machines
    > didn't *have* screens (or keyboards). I wrote my code with a pencil.
    >
    > -Mike

    Okay, point taken Mike, but I guess you don´t wanna go back to those times?
    ;-) (I can only speak for myself but I do not want to)

    Chris

    Chris Theis, Jun 28, 2004
  15. Tmt353

    Chris Theis Guest

    "Havatcha" <> wrote in message

    > >>a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,
    > >>

    > > Hmm...what I´d be interested in is how you´re going to develop software

    if
    > > you´re not going to look at a screen? :)
    > >

    > You do the input with keyboard and screen, you do the design and
    > development with pen, paper, brain, fresh air and mild stimulants.

    Okay ;-) IMHO the development includes the input of the actual code because
    what´s the best design/concept worth if it is not implemented?

    Cheers
    Chris

    Chris Theis, Jun 28, 2004
  16. Tmt353

    Havatcha Guest

    >>You do the input with keyboard and screen, you do the design and
    >>development with pen, paper, brain, fresh air and mild stimulants.
    >>

    > Okay ;-) IMHO the development includes the input of the actual code because
    > what´s the best design/concept worth if it is not implemented?

    Quite so, but I find it much better to separate code entry and actual
    design.
    I find thinking about software design whilst typing code a bit like
    trying to rotate one arm clockwise and the other anticlockwise.

    Havatcha, Jun 28, 2004
  17. Tmt353

    Chris Theis Guest

    "Havatcha" <> wrote in message

    > >>You do the input with keyboard and screen, you do the design and
    > >>development with pen, paper, brain, fresh air and mild stimulants.
    > >>

    > > Okay ;-) IMHO the development includes the input of the actual code

    because
    > > what´s the best design/concept worth if it is not implemented?
    > >

    > Quite so, but I find it much better to separate code entry and actual
    > design.
    > I find thinking about software design whilst typing code a bit like
    > trying to rotate one arm clockwise and the other anticlockwise.

    Isn´t that what a software developer is required to do everyday following
    customer wishes? ;-) No, of course I agree with you that first one should
    conjure up a concept and design and then start implementing it.

    Chris

    Chris Theis, Jun 28, 2004
  18. Tmt353

    Robert Guest

    "Vladimir Shishkovsky" <> wrote in message news:<40dd8c4f@skynet>...
    > Hi!
    >
    > Yes I know. It is www.codeguru.com or org or net, www.codeproject.com
    >

    > Bye...
    > "Tmt353" <> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ × ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ:
    > > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
    > > programming?

    I agree with the message before. You need a book. Don't buy one of
    those college textbooks that cost 100 dollars(I mean that crappy book
    that I had to use for my college programming class written by some
    authors at Temple University. It was the worst c++ book I ever read,
    and it cost 110 dollars.)
    A good book might be ones that say "Beginner" in the title. You may
    need a few books to really get a handle on the language. Good luck.

    -Rob

    Robert, Jun 28, 2004
  19. Re: some good stuffs for helping begginers like me and you.

    If it helps, I learned from a book called "C++ Programming in Easy Steps" by
    Mike McGrath (Barnes & Noble). It was just 10 bucks and it's a thousand
    times better than all the other C++ tutorial books I've read, although I
    haven't read any of the usual ones (C++ Primer Plus: Fourth Edition is
    supposed to be good).

    A couple of tips:
    -Avoid books with names like "Learn blank in blank hours." I made this
    mistake and got one heck of a lousy book (published by Sams). It was mainly
    about having Visual C++.NET write programs for you and then altering two or
    three lines to get what you want.
    -Don't buy a tutorial book that comes with a CD. Usually, these rely
    heavily on the CD content instead of good writing in the book itself.
    -Good publishers: Addison-Wesley, Charles River Media, Morgan Kaufmann

    Stephen Tyndall, Jul 1, 2004
  20. Tmt353

    who Guest

    Re: some good stuffs for helping begginers like me and you.

    Roberto,

    > Feel free to send me e-mails, maybe we could help ourselves.

    Newsgroups like comp.lang.learn.c-c++ were setup specifically to assist
    learners. Maybe try that group.

    Regards,

    who, Jul 13, 2004