new RCRs

Eric Mahurin

I just wrote up several RCR's that I've been thinking about for
a while and have been discussed on ruby-talk:

318 easy way(s) to make a duck
317 klass.from_s(str) or more generally klass.from_*(...)
316 arguments after a splat in a method call =09
315 allow required arguments after optional arguments =09
314 concise expression debug/trace method

=09
=09
______________________________________________________=20
Yahoo! for Good=20
Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert=20
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter=20

Austin Ziegler

I just wrote up several RCR's that I've been thinking about for
a while and have been discussed on ruby-talk:

Quick Summary:
318 easy way(s) to make a duck

I'm strongly opposed to this one. David Black has nicely summarised
something that closely resembles my opinion on this. The simplest way
is "there is no duck." The next way is "try or try not." If you're
wanting an easier way to make mock objects, that's something that can
be done without modifying the language -- and should be done that way.
But one can't "make a duck". Duck-typing is an *approach* to
programming, not a typing system on its own.
317 klass.from_s(str) or more generally klass.from_*(...)

I'm also strongly opposed to this one. I think that the from_* is
poorly considered and has been deconstructed sufficiently in its own
thread. The more I use Ruby, the less I am convinced that a generic
conversion mechanism will work or is even a good idea. If this *is*
accepted and implemented (and I hope it isn't), I would want to ensure
that missing conversion routines aren't necessarily the reported
location of errors when it's not appropriate.
316 arguments after a splat in a method call

Matz has accepted this for Ruby 2.
315 allow required arguments after optional arguments

I like this idea, but I'd rather see it fixed up with fully named
argument support rather than the meth(req-args, opt-args, *splat-args,
**kwargs) approach considered now.
314 concise expression debug/trace method

IMO, this is something that make life much easier for me.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

Eric Mahurin

I think it would be best to post these comments with the RCRs
so that the relavent discussions are kept with the RCRs.

--- Austin Ziegler said:
=20
Quick Summary:
=20
[...]

Done. However, note that the RCR site itself encourages discussion in
the wider community.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

Eric Mahurin

--- Austin Ziegler said:
=20
Done. However, note that the RCR site itself encourages
discussion in
the wider community.

And all of these have been discussed on ruby-talk - most with a
thread started by me.

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
http://mail.yahoo.com=20