New to Java Programming- Require Good IDE to start

rahul8143

hello,
I am new to java programming. I want suggestions from you people
how to start with java and become a good Java Programmer.
Also i know about JDK command line usage but is there any
Graphical IDE? I want simple IDE that does not require much space on
HDD. Why i am asking this thing because some IDE's are very BIG like
ECLIPSE (the only i know) and require much time to start and set
environment. Also are these IDE have facility of debugging Java
Programs?
Thanks in Advance.
regards,
Rahul.

Andrew Thompson

I am new to java programming. I want suggestions from you people
how to start with java and become a good Java Programmer.
Also i know about JDK command line usage but is there any
Graphical IDE? I want simple IDE that does not require much space on
HDD. Why i am asking this thing because some IDE's are very BIG like
ECLIPSE (the only i know) and require much time to start and set
environment. Also are these IDE have facility of debugging Java
Programs?

I think you will find the only Java editors/IDE's
that can do advanced debugging (like 'step-through'
the code, set break points etc.) are exactly the same
big/heavyweight IDE's (like Eclipse) that you want
to avoid.

Maybe you need to make a choice between access to those more
advanced things, and a light editor such as TextPad (that
will edit code, give highlight colors to keywords, compile
and launch, but little more).

I generally start up (one of) the more advanced IDE's
when I want to run Ant scripts, do step-level debugging
and such things, but otherwise, I often simply use 'TextPad'.

Since I notice you are posting via Google groups, I will
also drop this link with a few notes on your web interface.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#usenet>

Also, there is a good group for Java beginner
questions in general, you'll find it here..

HTH

Raj

Andrew is right. As daunting as it may seem, start with TextPad. Once
you are comfortable with Java you can go for Eclipse or Netbeans or
JBuilder.