New to python

Bruno Desthuilliers

Googy a écrit :
I am new to python...

The programming language i know well is C
Can any one recommend me the good ebook for beginners. I have loads of
ebooks but i am not able to decide which to start with which book.
Also i am learning XML so later on i can switch to books on Python and
XML but initially which book to read??

The canonical answer is:
- the official tutorial
- dive into python

Stargaming

I am new to python...

The programming language i know well is C Can any one recommend me the
good ebook for beginners. I have loads of ebooks but i am not able to
decide which to start with which book. Also i am learning XML so later
on i can switch to books on Python and XML but initially which book to
read??

Please help...

Generically, `A byte of Python`_ and `Dive into Python`_ are pretty
common. ABOP has a few comments for C programmers as well, AFAIK.

If you already got a few (e)books, you should perhaps just look through
all of them and then, sequentially, read them.

... _A byte of Python: http://www.byteofpython.info/download/
... _Dive into Python: http://www.diveintopython.org/

DavidM

I am new to python...

The programming language i know well is C
Can any one recommend me the good ebook for beginners. I have loads of
ebooks but i am not able to decide which to start with which book.
Also i am learning XML so later on i can switch to books on Python and
XML but initially which book to read??

Please help...

Some years ago I crossed over from C to Python myself. I found Python
weird and incomprehensible at first, especially since I was effectively
having to learn OO at the same time.

I worked through the standard Python tutorial that comes with the Python
manual, and kept an interactive Python interpreter session running in a
terminal.

It was tough for a while, but before long, something just seemed to
'click' and I 'got it'.

There were still many things to learn - I'm still learning - but what has
helped heaps has been the #python IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

Keep at it - it'll gel for you if you persist, and you're willing to do
lots of experimenting.

rjcarr

I am new to python...

The programming language i know well is C
Can any one recommend me the good ebook for beginners. I have loads of
ebooks but i am not able to decide which to start with which book.
Also i am learning XML so later on i can switch to books on Python and
XML but initially which book to read??

Please help...

I know quite a few languages fairly fluently, maybe 5 or 6, but for
some reason python was rought at the beginning. I think it is mostly
because I don't get along well with the API docs (and although it has
gotten better, I still don't like them).

When first learning so much of the sample code I saw seemed
magical ... I had no idea where things were coming from. One weekend
I read the o'reilly book, learning python I think, from cover to cover
and it helped tremendously. Now whenever I start a new project I have
to think of a reason to not use python, and it is pretty rare.