New to Ruby!

Seth Thomas Rasmussen

------=_Part_14350_16879423.1124399407381

Hi all,

I recently finished reading the 2nd edition of the PickAxe. I thought it=20
would be a good approach to get a overview of the language before even=20
beginning to play around with it much.

I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)

I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,=
=20
since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop there=
,=20
I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in=20
Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.=
=20
Perhaps there are some common programming tasks that one would benefit to=
=20
learn in any language. Maybe you're doing some great non-web stuff with=20
Ruby: I'd like to know about it.

But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hosting=
=20
out there?

Hmm, this message feels rather scatterbrained. I guess I'm just looking for=
=20
a little guidance from the community. How did you get into Ruby? Etc.

Okay, that is all. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

--=20
Seth Thomas Rasmussen
http://sethrasmussen.com/

------=_Part_14350_16879423.1124399407381--

Joe Van Dyk

Hi all,
=20
I recently finished reading the 2nd edition of the PickAxe. I thought it
would be a good approach to get a overview of the language before even
beginning to play around with it much.
=20
I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)
=20
I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,
since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop the= re,
I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in
Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.
Perhaps there are some common programming tasks that one would benefit to
learn in any language. Maybe you're doing some great non-web stuff with
Ruby: I'd like to know about it.
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html

=20
But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin= g
out there?

http://www.textdrive.com

They are currently moving to a new datacenter and upgrading all their
hardware, so they weren't taking new customers the last time I
checked. I think they'll take new customers within a week or two.

There's also http://www.dreamhost.com.
=20
Hmm, this message feels rather scatterbrained. I guess I'm just looking f= or
a little guidance from the community. How did you get into Ruby? Etc.

There's a Ruby Quiz every week starting on a Friday. Good exercise to do t=
hose.

Lyle Johnson

But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin= g
out there?

Welcome to the list, Seth. I was surprised to discover just this
morning that my Web hosting provider has added support for Rails. I
get the impression that more and more hosting providers are catching
the Rails "bug" and adding support as well, so it shouldn't be hard to
find one. In fact, if you already have a good relationship with some
provider and they don't yet support Rails, you might just ask them why
they don't. ;)

Seth Thomas Rasmussen

------=_Part_14390_15000262.1124400026230
There's a Ruby Quiz every week starting on a Friday. Good exercise to do= =20
those.

This is distributed on Ruby Talk?

--=20
Seth Thomas Rasmussen
http://sethrasmussen.com/

------=_Part_14390_15000262.1124400026230--

Josh Charles

I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)

Hey, I just joined the list today, but I'm going to try to help you here.
=20
I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,
since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop the= re,
I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in
Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.

I learned rails by implementing a TODO list interface with all the
bells and whistles (AJAX, Javascript Effects, etc.) Perhaps something
like this would interest you
But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin= g
out there?

I found it to be pretty easy myself. I use OCS Hosting
(http://www.ocssolutions.com/ruby-on-rails.php) and they are OK. I
don't think I'm going to want to keep my site up there once it goes
into production, as I'm extremely concerned about performance.

There are several other hosters out there that will accomodate you.=20
Just good for "Ruby on Rails Hosting"

Gaston Garcia

------=_Part_9514_10481167.1124400473318

Hi Josh, I came to hear of Ruby also from doing web stuff. I never did=20
coldfusion but Php stuff.
I'm interested in knowing the same things as you have asked.

I guess you should read Agile web development with rails. It's by the=20
pragmatic programmers.

-gaston

=20
=20
Hey, I just joined the list today, but I'm going to try to help you here.
=20 =20
[...]

Seth Thomas Rasmussen

------=_Part_14494_4363808.1124401109565
=20
=20
Yup. Archives are at http://www.rubyquiz.com/

Beautiful.

Now we just need the person in charge of that site's stylesheet to change=
=20
that red-on-black combo. It's very bad for my vision in particular. I can't=
=20
really read the list in the left column at all. :(=20

--=20
Seth Thomas Rasmussen
http://sethrasmussen.com/

------=_Part_14494_4363808.1124401109565--

James Edward Gray II

Now we just need the person in charge of that site's stylesheet to
change
that red-on-black combo. It's very bad for my vision in particular.
I can't
really read the list in the left column at all. :(

I am that person, so here's the official word, from the horse's mouth
as it were... ;)

The current Ruby Quiz site has been end-of-lifed for many reasons I
won't bore you with. I am currently developing its replacement.
(Those who've been paying attention know I've been saying that for
months now, but I promise it really will be up before too much
longer! I've been using all my free time on the _other_ Ruby Quiz
project, so don't be too mad at me...)

Anyway, you are not the first person to complain about the colors and
I do intend to address the issue in the new site. I promise to post
the design for comments when it's ready and respond to criticisms
raised.

I'm not really interested in pouring any more effort into the current
site (other than maintaining it), since I would rather spend the
little free time I have finally finishing the new design. So, for
now it is a problem and it's probably going to stay a problem for
just a little longer, yes. :( I apologize for that.

Hopefully this doesn't affect people too much since the quiz is
conducted here, entirely in plain text. You can also use Google
Groups to access the old treads in a similar fashion, for now.

On a happier note, there will be a new quiz to play with tomorrow
morning and I would like to personally welcome you to the Ruby
community. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the feedback. I apologize again about the site colors.

James Edward Gray II

Simon Kröger

Thanks for the great quiz James Edward Gray the second !

Take your time!
Meanwhile: here are the links (in plain text):

The Solitaire Cipher : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz1.html

Secret Santas : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz2.html
Geodesic Dome Faces : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz3.html
Regexp.build : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz4.html
Sokoban : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz5.html
GEDCOM Parser : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz6.html
Countdown : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz7.html

Object Browser : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz8.html
Banned Words : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz9.html
Crosswords : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz10.html
Learning Tic-Tac-Toe : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz11.html
Scrabble Stems : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz12.html
Cryptograms : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz13.html

LCD Numbers : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz14.html
Animal Quiz : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz15.html
Paper Rock Scissors : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz16.html
To Excel : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz17.html
Solving Tactics : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz18.html
Yahtzee : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz19.html

1-800-THE-QUIZ : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz20.html
Phone Typing : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz21.html
Roman Numerals : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz22.html
Quoted Printable : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz23.html
Texas Hold'Em : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz24.html
English Numerals : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz25.html

Code Cleaning : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz26.html
Knight's Travails : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz27.html
Madlibs : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz28.html
HighLine : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz29.html
Barrel of Monkeys : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz30.html
Amazing Mazes : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz31.html

Cows and Bulls : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz32.html
Tiling Turmoil : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz33.html
Whiteout : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz34.html
Chess Variants (I : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz35.html
Chess Variants (II : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz36.html
Inference Engine : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz37.html

SerializableProc : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz38.html
Sampling : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz39.html
Drawing Trees : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz40.html
Stock Portfolios : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz41.html
Scheduling : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz42.html

cheers

Simon

Gaston Garcia

------=_Part_9846_30862363.1124407324616

Regarding hosting I recommend the one I have:

it's http://www.asmallorange.com

They have great hosting plans and even the smallest ones have Ruby on Rails=
=20
It might be a good place to have your site.

And while I'm doing propaganda for them, if you host there, you can give=20
them my name and I win a "prize" , whoo-hoo : )

COde Name =3D gaston

...=20
-gaston.

=20
Hi all,
=20
I recently finished reading the 2nd edition of the PickAxe. I thought it
would be a good approach to get a overview of the language before even
beginning to play around with it much.
=20
I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)
=20
I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,
since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop=20
there,
I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in
Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.
Perhaps there are some common programming tasks that one would benefit to
learn in any language. Maybe you're doing some great non-web stuff with
Ruby: I'd like to know about it.
=20
But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin= g
out there?
=20
Hmm, this message feels rather scatterbrained. I guess I'm just looking= =20
for
--
Seth Thomas Rasmussen
http://sethrasmussen.com/

--=20
-gaston

------=_Part_9846_30862363.1124407324616--

Seth Thomas Rasmussen

------=_Part_15044_15798400.1124408016015
it's http://www.asmallorange.com
=20
They have great hosting plans and even the smallest ones have Ruby on=20
Rails.
It might be a good place to have your site.
=20
And while I'm doing propaganda for them, if you host there, you can give
them my name and I win a "prize" , whoo-hoo : )
=20
COde Name =3D gaston

Thanks Gaston, that looks like a swell deal. I'm eyeing the Medium plan, an=
d=20
will absolutely mention that you referred me if I go with them. :)=20

--=20
Seth Thomas Rasmussen
http://sethrasmussen.com/

------=_Part_15044_15798400.1124408016015--

Seth Thomas Rasmussen

------=_Part_15052_18557470.1124408057174
Thanks for the feedback. I apologize again about the site colors.

It's okay, James. I'll live. I just thought I'd mention it. :)

--=20
Seth Thomas Rasmussen
http://sethrasmussen.com/

------=_Part_15052_18557470.1124408057174--

Seth Thomas Rasmussen

------=_Part_15060_20837239.1124408103643
Meanwhile: here are the links (in plain text):

Too kind of you, Simon. Thank you.

--=20
Seth Thomas Rasmussen
http://sethrasmussen.com/