New to Ruby!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Seth Thomas Rasmussen, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. ------=_Part_14350_16879423.1124399407381

    Hi all,

    I recently finished reading the 2nd edition of the PickAxe. I thought it=20
    would be a good approach to get a overview of the language before even=20
    beginning to play around with it much.

    I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)

    I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,=
    =20
    since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop there=
    ,=20
    I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in=20
    Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.=
    =20
    Perhaps there are some common programming tasks that one would benefit to=
    =20
    learn in any language. Maybe you're doing some great non-web stuff with=20
    Ruby: I'd like to know about it.

    But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hosting=
    =20
    out there?

    Hmm, this message feels rather scatterbrained. I guess I'm just looking for=
    =20
    a little guidance from the community. How did you get into Ruby? Etc.

    Okay, that is all. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

    --=20
    Seth Thomas Rasmussen
    http://sethrasmussen.com/

    ------=_Part_14350_16879423.1124399407381--

    Seth Thomas Rasmussen, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Seth Thomas Rasmussen

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html

    >=20
    > But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin=

    > out there?

    http://www.textdrive.com

    They are currently moving to a new datacenter and upgrading all their
    hardware, so they weren't taking new customers the last time I
    checked. I think they'll take new customers within a week or two.

    There's also http://www.dreamhost.com.

    >=20
    > Hmm, this message feels rather scatterbrained. I guess I'm just looking f=

    or
    > a little guidance from the community. How did you get into Ruby? Etc.

    There's a Ruby Quiz every week starting on a Friday. Good exercise to do t=
    hose.

    Joe Van Dyk, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Seth Thomas Rasmussen

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On 8/18/05, Seth Thomas Rasmussen <> wrote:

    > But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin=

    > out there?

    Welcome to the list, Seth. I was surprised to discover just this
    morning that my Web hosting provider has added support for Rails. I
    get the impression that more and more hosting providers are catching
    the Rails "bug" and adding support as well, so it shouldn't be hard to
    find one. In fact, if you already have a good relationship with some
    provider and they don't yet support Rails, you might just ask them why
    they don't. ;)

    Lyle Johnson, Aug 18, 2005
  4. ------=_Part_14390_15000262.1124400026230

    > There's a Ruby Quiz every week starting on a Friday. Good exercise to do=

    =20
    > those.

    This is distributed on Ruby Talk?

    --=20
    Seth Thomas Rasmussen
    http://sethrasmussen.com/

    ------=_Part_14390_15000262.1124400026230--

    Seth Thomas Rasmussen, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Seth Thomas Rasmussen

    Josh Charles Guest

    > I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)

    Hey, I just joined the list today, but I'm going to try to help you here.
    =20
    > I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,
    > since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop the=

    re,
    > I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in
    > Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.

    I learned rails by implementing a TODO list interface with all the
    bells and whistles (AJAX, Javascript Effects, etc.) Perhaps something
    like this would interest you

    > But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin=

    > out there?

    I found it to be pretty easy myself. I use OCS Hosting
    (http://www.ocssolutions.com/ruby-on-rails.php) and they are OK. I
    don't think I'm going to want to keep my site up there once it goes
    into production, as I'm extremely concerned about performance.

    There are several other hosters out there that will accomodate you.=20
    Just good for "Ruby on Rails Hosting"

    Josh Charles, Aug 18, 2005
  6. ------=_Part_9514_10481167.1124400473318

    Hi Josh, I came to hear of Ruby also from doing web stuff. I never did=20
    coldfusion but Php stuff.
    I'm interested in knowing the same things as you have asked.

    I guess you should read Agile web development with rails. It's by the=20
    pragmatic programmers.

    -gaston

    On 8/18/05, Josh Charles <> wrote:
    >=20
    > > I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)

    >=20
    > Hey, I just joined the list today, but I'm going to try to help you here.
    >=20
    > > I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me.=20

    > However,
    > > since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop=

    =20
    > there,
    > > I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in
    > > Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys=20

    > have.
    >=20
    > I learned rails by implementing a TODO list interface with all the
    > bells and whistles (AJAX, Javascript Effects, etc.) Perhaps something
    > like this would interest you
    >=20
    > > But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported=20

    > hosting
    > > out there?

    >=20
    > I found it to be pretty easy myself. I use OCS Hosting
    > (http://www.ocssolutions.com/ruby-on-rails.php) and they are OK. I
    > don't think I'm going to want to keep my site up there once it goes
    > into production, as I'm extremely concerned about performance.
    >=20
    > There are several other hosters out there that will accomodate you.
    > Just good for "Ruby on Rails Hosting"
    >=20
    >=20

    --=20
    -gaston

    ------=_Part_9514_10481167.1124400473318--

    Gaston Garcia, Aug 18, 2005
  7. Seth Thomas Rasmussen

    Joe Van Dyk, Aug 18, 2005
  8. ------=_Part_14494_4363808.1124401109565

    > > > There's a Ruby Quiz every week starting on a Friday. Good exercise to=

    =20
    > do
    > > > those.

    > > This is distributed on Ruby Talk?

    >=20
    > Yup. Archives are at http://www.rubyquiz.com/

    Beautiful.

    Now we just need the person in charge of that site's stylesheet to change=
    =20
    that red-on-black combo. It's very bad for my vision in particular. I can't=
    =20
    really read the list in the left column at all. :(=20

    --=20
    Seth Thomas Rasmussen
    http://sethrasmussen.com/

    ------=_Part_14494_4363808.1124401109565--

    Seth Thomas Rasmussen, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Seth Thomas Rasmussen

    Gene Tani Guest

    Gene Tani, Aug 18, 2005
  10. On Aug 18, 2005, at 4:38 PM, Seth Thomas Rasmussen wrote:

    > Now we just need the person in charge of that site's stylesheet to
    > change
    > that red-on-black combo. It's very bad for my vision in particular.
    > I can't
    > really read the list in the left column at all. :(

    I am that person, so here's the official word, from the horse's mouth
    as it were... ;)

    The current Ruby Quiz site has been end-of-lifed for many reasons I
    won't bore you with. I am currently developing its replacement.
    (Those who've been paying attention know I've been saying that for
    months now, but I promise it really will be up before too much
    longer! I've been using all my free time on the _other_ Ruby Quiz
    project, so don't be too mad at me...)

    Anyway, you are not the first person to complain about the colors and
    I do intend to address the issue in the new site. I promise to post
    the design for comments when it's ready and respond to criticisms
    raised.

    I'm not really interested in pouring any more effort into the current
    site (other than maintaining it), since I would rather spend the
    little free time I have finally finishing the new design. So, for
    now it is a problem and it's probably going to stay a problem for
    just a little longer, yes. :( I apologize for that.

    Hopefully this doesn't affect people too much since the quiz is
    conducted here, entirely in plain text. You can also use Google
    Groups to access the old treads in a similar fashion, for now.

    On a happier note, there will be a new quiz to play with tomorrow
    morning and I would like to personally welcome you to the Ruby
    community. I hope you enjoy your stay!

    Thanks for the feedback. I apologize again about the site colors.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Aug 18, 2005
  11. Thanks for the great quiz James Edward Gray the second !

    Take your time!
    Meanwhile: here are the links (in plain text):

    The Solitaire Cipher : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz1.html

    Secret Santas : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz2.html
    Geodesic Dome Faces : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz3.html
    Regexp.build : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz4.html
    Sokoban : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz5.html
    GEDCOM Parser : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz6.html
    Countdown : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz7.html

    Object Browser : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz8.html
    Banned Words : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz9.html
    Crosswords : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz10.html
    Learning Tic-Tac-Toe : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz11.html
    Scrabble Stems : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz12.html
    Cryptograms : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz13.html

    LCD Numbers : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz14.html
    Animal Quiz : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz15.html
    Paper Rock Scissors : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz16.html
    To Excel : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz17.html
    Solving Tactics : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz18.html
    Yahtzee : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz19.html

    1-800-THE-QUIZ : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz20.html
    Phone Typing : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz21.html
    Roman Numerals : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz22.html
    Quoted Printable : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz23.html
    Texas Hold'Em : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz24.html
    English Numerals : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz25.html

    Code Cleaning : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz26.html
    Knight's Travails : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz27.html
    Madlibs : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz28.html
    HighLine : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz29.html
    Barrel of Monkeys : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz30.html
    Amazing Mazes : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz31.html

    Cows and Bulls : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz32.html
    Tiling Turmoil : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz33.html
    Whiteout : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz34.html
    Chess Variants (I : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz35.html
    Chess Variants (II : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz36.html
    Inference Engine : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz37.html

    SerializableProc : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz38.html
    Sampling : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz39.html
    Drawing Trees : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz40.html
    Stock Portfolios : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz41.html
    Scheduling : http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz42.html

    cheers

    Simon

    Simon Kröger, Aug 18, 2005
  12. ------=_Part_9846_30862363.1124407324616

    Regarding hosting I recommend the one I have:

    it's http://www.asmallorange.com

    They have great hosting plans and even the smallest ones have Ruby on Rails=
    =20
    It might be a good place to have your site.

    And while I'm doing propaganda for them, if you host there, you can give=20
    them my name and I win a "prize" , whoo-hoo : )

    COde Name =3D gaston

    ...=20
    -gaston.

    On 8/18/05, Seth Thomas Rasmussen <> wrote:
    >=20
    > Hi all,
    >=20
    > I recently finished reading the 2nd edition of the PickAxe. I thought it
    > would be a good approach to get a overview of the language before even
    > beginning to play around with it much.
    >=20
    > I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)
    >=20
    > I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,
    > since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop=20
    > there,
    > I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in
    > Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.
    > Perhaps there are some common programming tasks that one would benefit to
    > learn in any language. Maybe you're doing some great non-web stuff with
    > Ruby: I'd like to know about it.
    >=20
    > But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hostin=

    > out there?
    >=20
    > Hmm, this message feels rather scatterbrained. I guess I'm just looking=

    =20
    > for
    > a little guidance from the community. How did you get into Ruby? Etc.
    >=20
    > Okay, that is all. Thanks for bearing with me. :)
    >=20
    > --
    > Seth Thomas Rasmussen
    > http://sethrasmussen.com/
    >=20
    >=20

    --=20
    -gaston

    ------=_Part_9846_30862363.1124407324616--

    Gaston Garcia, Aug 19, 2005
  13. ------=_Part_15044_15798400.1124408016015

    > it's http://www.asmallorange.com
    >=20
    > They have great hosting plans and even the smallest ones have Ruby on=20
    > Rails.
    > It might be a good place to have your site.
    >=20
    > And while I'm doing propaganda for them, if you host there, you can give
    > them my name and I win a "prize" , whoo-hoo : )
    >=20
    > COde Name =3D gaston

    Thanks Gaston, that looks like a swell deal. I'm eyeing the Medium plan, an=
    d=20
    will absolutely mention that you referred me if I go with them. :)=20

    --=20
    Seth Thomas Rasmussen
    http://sethrasmussen.com/

    ------=_Part_15044_15798400.1124408016015--

    Seth Thomas Rasmussen, Aug 19, 2005
  14. ------=_Part_15052_18557470.1124408057174

    > Thanks for the feedback. I apologize again about the site colors.

    It's okay, James. I'll live. I just thought I'd mention it. :)

    --=20
    Seth Thomas Rasmussen
    http://sethrasmussen.com/

    ------=_Part_15052_18557470.1124408057174--

    Seth Thomas Rasmussen, Aug 19, 2005
  15. ------=_Part_15060_20837239.1124408103643

    > Meanwhile: here are the links (in plain text):

    Too kind of you, Simon. Thank you.

    --=20
    Seth Thomas Rasmussen
    http://sethrasmussen.com/