New well tested makepp snapshot released

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Daniel Pfeiffer, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. Makepp is a drop-in replacement for GNU make which has a number of features
    that allow for more reliable builds and simpler build files. It supports
    almost all of the syntax that GNU make supports, and can be used with
    makefiles produced by utilities such as automake. It is called makepp (or
    make++) because originally it was designed for building C++ programs. Also its
    relationship to make is supposed to be analogous to C++'s relationship to C:
    it is almost 100% backward compatible but adds a number of new features. In
    fact, it will work with input files designed for make, but there are much
    better ways to do things.

    Here's again a new well tested beta snapshot. Besides more speedup and bug
    fixes (especially for repositories), this version has been ported to z/OS. The
    previously missing call function has been provided. A file .makepprc with
    options in it is searched for, so you can store them in the build tree they
    pertain to.

    There still are a few bug fixes on the way for even better GNU make
    compatibility (comma in variable is not to be a parameter separator and
    variables with whitespace in name). After that this should already be close to
    what the next official version will look like.

    Homepage: http://makepp.sourceforge.net/
    Documentation: http://makepp.sourceforge.net/1.50/
    Download: http://search.cpan.org/~pfeiffer/

    coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
    Daniel Pfeiffer
    Daniel Pfeiffer, Aug 10, 2008

  2. In article <g7n32b$nit$01$-online.com>,
    Daniel Pfeiffer <> wrote:
    >Makepp is a drop-in replacement for GNU make which has a number of features
    >that allow for more reliable builds and simpler build files. It supports
    >almost all of the syntax that GNU make supports, and can be used with

    This is off-topic in comp.lang.c

    Yey! I'm first in!

    Hooray for me!!!
    Kenny McCormack, Aug 10, 2008

  3. Daniel Pfeiffer

    CBFalconer Guest

    Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:

    > Makepp is a drop-in replacement for GNU make which has a number
    > of features that allow for more reliable builds and simpler build
    > files. It supports almost all of the syntax that GNU make
    > supports, and can be used with makefiles produced by utilities
    > such as automake. It is called makepp (or make++) because
    > originally it was designed for building C++ programs. Also its
    > relationship to make is supposed to be analogous to C++'s
    > relationship to C: it is almost 100% backward compatible but adds
    > a number of new features. In fact, it will work with input files
    > designed for make, but there are much better ways to do things.

    Is it also written in standard C, so as to be portable to systems
    without C++ capabilities?

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Aug 10, 2008
  4. On 10 Aug 2008 at 17:02, CBFalconer wrote:
    > Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
    >> Makepp is a drop-in replacement for GNU make which has a number
    >> of features that allow for more reliable builds and simpler build
    >> files.

    [snip]
    >> it is almost 100% backward compatible but adds a number of new
    >> features. In fact, it will work with input files designed for make,
    >> but there are much better ways to do things.

    I think this would be a better sales pitch if you actually mentioned
    what some of these fantastic "new features" are, instead of making
    people visit your website to find out.

    > Is it also written in standard C, so as to be portable to systems
    > without C++ capabilities?

    You truly are a dick. I mean, what systems would those be? Do you really
    think the OP is expecting people doing embedded programming for espresso
    machines to want an even-more-sophisticated-than-GNU make program.
    Antoninus Twink, Aug 10, 2008