Newbie Alert! Upgrading Python?

El

Hi,

Sorry to bother you folks with a real newbie question, but I am sure that
this is the place for me to ask.

Python 1.5.1 (final) and Python Win32 Extensions are installed on my 4 year
old computer. My computer has always been upgraded to include the latest
programs and Windows updates.

However, I have NEVER upgraded Python? Therefore, my questions:

1. Should I upgrade to the new Python 2.4.1 (Final)?

2. If so, should I uninstall the old version first and reboot, or can I
just install the new version over the old version?

3. Are the Win32 extensions included in the final version, or are the
extensions a separate download?

I do not use Python, but I am assuming that something on my computer must.
LOL.

Thank you for any enlightenment you can render.

Elliot

Thorsten Kampe

* El (2005-07-10 11:56 +0100)
Sorry to bother you folks with a real newbie question, but I am sure that
this is the place for me to ask.

Python 1.5.1 (final) and Python Win32 Extensions are installed on my 4 year
old computer. My computer has always been upgraded to include the latest
programs and Windows updates.

However, I have NEVER upgraded Python?

Is that a question?
Therefore, my questions:

1. Should I upgrade to the new Python 2.4.1 (Final)?

No, why?
2. If so, should I uninstall the old version first and reboot, or can I
just install the new version over the old version?

No.
3. Are the Win32 extensions included in the final version, or are the
extensions a separate download?

No, yes.
I do not use Python, but I am assuming that something on my computer must.
LOL.

If you don't use it: uninstall Python. If something else uses it: keep
it as it is as your app might break with the new Python - even though
2.4 is backwards compatible.

Peter Hansen

Thorsten said:
* El (2005-07-10 11:56 +0100)

If you don't use it: uninstall Python. If something else uses it: keep
it as it is as your app might break with the new Python - even though
2.4 is backwards compatible.

Python 2.4 is most definitely not 100% backwards compatible with Python
1.5.1, so "don't upgrade!" is correct advice if Python is in use by some
application that expects it to be 1.5.1...

-Peter

Dennis Lee Bieber

However, I have NEVER upgraded Python? Therefore, my questions:

1. Should I upgrade to the new Python 2.4.1 (Final)?
As the others mention, it depends on why Python was installed in
the first place. Python is not distributed with Windows standard
installations. If it came with your machine, it may mean the
manufacturer of the box has some custom programs that need it (search
for any *.py* files).

These may fail with newer Pythons.
2. If so, should I uninstall the old version first and reboot, or can I
just install the new version over the old version?
Newer versions install into their own version specific directory
-- so it probably won't affect the old install /except/ for various PATH
environment variables -- check autoexec.bat and other places environment
variables are defined (you don't mention what version of Windows is in
use). It might be possible (on XP class OS) to save the original
Python-related PATHs, make them system variables -- so the OS utilities
can find them -- yet create user environment variables that override to
the new version. But if you aren't using Python yourself, why bother.
3. Are the Win32 extensions included in the final version, or are the
extensions a separate download?
Separate, if talking about pure Python install. Included if
using the ActiveState PythonWin install.
I do not use Python, but I am assuming that something on my computer must.
LOL.
As mentioned, if you don't use it, don't touch it.