NEWBIE: compilation process w/ makefiles...

arenaTR

I'm trying to use the gcc compiler on Suse Linux 9.0 straight from the
command line. I'm a windows refugee, so please be gentle.

I have a bunch of c code with appropriate headers and a Makefile.in and a
Makefile.am. I'm really new to this, and having trouble undersatnding the
theory behind the compilation process, obviouisly affecting my ability to
get this to work.

I've tried:

make makefile.in
from the directory in which the files reside, getting the message
"nothing to be done" which I understand, since the makefile is supposed to
keep track of only those things that have changed.

make makefile.am
same thing as makefile.in

gcc makefile.in
"unrecognized file extension"

gcc cfile.c -main c file, although there are lots of others
Here I get lots of errors, all relating to not found/not declared
elements.

So, my assumption was that I could just "execute" a compile with the
makefile, which would control the process. This seems not to be the case,
or if it is, I can't seem to find out how.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading for a few hours
on this and can't seem to get the answer.

Thanks again!

Bruno Desthuilliers

arenaTR said:
I'm trying to use the gcc compiler on Suse Linux 9.0 straight from the
command line.

That's nice, but OT here.
I'm a windows refugee, so please be gentle.

I'll try... But I'm afraid you're still OT here.
I have a bunch of c code with appropriate headers and a Makefile.in and a
Makefile.am. I'm really new to this, and having trouble undersatnding the
theory behind the compilation process, obviouisly affecting my ability to
get this to work.

I've tried:
(snip)

make and makefiles have nothing to do with the C language.

<OT>
Makefile.in and Makefile.am are not makefiles. I strongly suggest that
you read the README file that should come with your 'bunch of c code'.
It probably contains a line explainaing that the build process involve
something like ./configure && make && make install
</OT>

And, err, what was your question about the C language, exactly ?

Bruno