Newbie: create a clickable, grouped list/menu/whatever for items in an ecommerce site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by kbutterly, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. kbutterly

    kbutterly Guest

    Good afternoon, all,

    Coding a small site using VS2005, SQL Server 2005 and VB. This is my
    first site in ASP.net and I am getting a wee bit frustrated.

    I have a sql server db with a productcategory table and a product
    table, linked by productcategoryID

    I want to display the items in the left hand <div>, like so

    Category1Name
    product1
    product2
    product3
    Category2Name
    product 4....etc..

    I want the products to post back, so that the details appear in the
    center <div> of the page, where the site admin can edit, insert or
    delete products. the posting back I can handle, it's the generation of
    the menu that's killing me.

    This seems so basic, but I am going nuts to generate it. The menu
    control and treeview only take sitemap and xml data sources. Since
    this data is so dynamic, that doesn't seem the way to go.

    This question must have been answered a thousand times, but i must be
    searching on the wrong terms, because I can't find any help on this
    using VB. I have found a few in C#, but even they seemed to require
    that you build a sitemap table, which won't work, because it's static.

    Is what I asking doable? Am I missing an obvious answer? Can I use
    one of the Data server controls? Do I need to populate the menu items
    dynamically, stepping through a dataset? Do I need to create a view
    that will function as a sitemap table?

    Can someone please point me to a resource that can help me?

    Thanks,
    Kathryn
    kbutterly, Jan 15, 2007

  2. kbutterly

    kbutterly Guest

    Re: Newbie: create a clickable, grouped list/menu/whatever for items in an ecommerce site

    For archival purposes and for all the other newbies out there, see:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms379604(VS.80).aspx

    Look at the bottom, where they discuss menus and database data. it is
    pretty clear!

    Kathryn

    kbutterly, Jan 16, 2007