Newbie dummy question

singlewchildren

I am just playing around with C, and the "dummy" books I am reading
refer to rather large, mainstream compilers.... I can do the command
line thing, but am curious to be able to play with GUI compilers, and
am considering MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. The price is right
in my range <g>

Will this C++ tool let me compile and play with C programs?

I have a few command line compilers, but they are boring :)

See, I am not making a living at this :) I am just hacking, and
playing around, but would rather learn on modern tools and stay around
the mainstream so that questions can be asked that will make sense to
those who might help me.

It may be overkill, but I am still curious if I can use it to build C
programs.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Rafael Almeida

On 17 Aug 2006 19:39:57 -0700
I am just playing around with C, and the "dummy" books I am reading
refer to rather large, mainstream compilers.... I can do the command
line thing, but am curious to be able to play with GUI compilers, and
am considering MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. The price is right
in my range <g>

Will this C++ tool let me compile and play with C programs?

I have a few command line compilers, but they are boring :)
I've never tried MS Visual C++, but as far as I know it's just an IDE
with a compiler that's probably not much different from the ones you're
currently using. What it does is that it let's you generate project
thingys and you're able to build all the modules and link clicking one
button, not much different from having a Makefile.

If what you intend to do is gui programs, the compiler having a gui
frontend or not will not change anything.

Anyhow, at least wikipedia says that MS Visual C++ compile C code:
Microsoft Visual C++ (also known as MSVC) is an Integrated
development environment (IDE) product for the C, C++, and C++/CLI
programming languages engineered by Microsoft. It has tools for
developing and debugging C++ code, especially that written for the
Microsoft Windows API, the DirectX API, and the Microsoft .NET
Framework.

See, I am not making a living at this :) I am just hacking, and
playing around, but would rather learn on modern tools and stay around
the mainstream so that questions can be asked that will make sense to
those who might help me.

It may be overkill, but I am still curious if I can use it to build C
programs.
I think you'll be able to learn a whole lot more by programming on a
unix environment and compiling with a ``boring'' command line compiler.