    like Visual Basic?

    Regards,
    Jacky
    Jacky, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Hello,

    Jacky wrote:
    > My question is: is there an application that will churn out the codes
    > for the GUI in Java? Takes note of the events and stuffs? Pretty much
    > like Visual Basic?

    I think Netbeans is good for building GUI's in Java.
    You can find it at www.netbeans.org.

    Michael

    ----------------------
    http://www.smurfi.de
    Kroll, Michael, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Jacky

    Jacky Guest

    thanks! let me take a look at that, :)
    Jacky, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Jacky wrote:
    > I find that creating the GUI in java is very troublesome; having
    > previously learnt Visual Basic.

    VB only has to run on a single platform (Windows), where everything is
    fixed, largely predictable, and under the control of one manufacturer. A
    Java program developed on platform X is supposed to run unaltered on
    platform Y - if done right. This comes with a price. Part of the price
    is the complexity of the Java AWT/Swing GUI system. And, the programmer
    has to do his/her part, too. Java just provides the tools, if you don't
    use them, then the application will still not run well on other platforms.

    > My question is: is there an application that will churn out the codes
    > for the GUI in Java? Takes note of the events and stuffs? Pretty much
    > like Visual Basic?

    Yes, there are a few, but there is usually no way around learning Java's
    AWT/Swing system architecture. A good start is to learn

    - The single-thread rule

    - Layout Managers

    - Event handling

    - The painting system

    All this and many more is taught in tutorials on Sun's web site.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Apr 27, 2005
  5. Jacky

    Jacky Guest

    I've download and installed NetBeans, but there isn't control box for
    me to input a command box or something?
    Jacky, Apr 27, 2005
  6. Jacky

    Jacky Guest

    Hi Thomas,

    What I meant was: is there a way to quickly create a command box or
    text fields visually? Instead of specifying pixels and points?.....

    Thanks,
    Jacky
    Jacky, Apr 27, 2005
  7. On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:56:40 -0700, Jacky donned fireproof underwear and
    scratched on the wall:

    > Hi Thomas,
    >
    > What I meant was: is there a way to quickly create a command box or
    > text fields visually? Instead of specifying pixels and points?.....

    I feel your pain. :) I have twelve years of VB experience (and can't get
    away) which causes me no end to grief when learning this Java thing.

    I am finding that - except for the bizzaro layout managers in Swing (box,
    gridbag, card, flow) you'll get to understand things pretty well. I've
    only been doing Java for a few months, and am fairly comfortable. The nice
    thing is that I can write an app here on my Linux box and take it
    unaltered into my WinXP system at work and it runs.

    The ability to write in linux and have it automatically be able to
    downgrade to WinXP is nice.

    Creating the GUI components is really a no-brainer. You just
    gotta put a J in front of whatever your thinking about and learn
    to read the API, which is almost as useless as the MSDN.

    Unlearning things like Left$ or instr are more the challenge. :)

    --
    kai - www.perfectreign.com

    kai@yoda:~> format a:
    Error: The DOS concept of formatting disk media is screwed.
    Perfect Reign, Apr 27, 2005
  8. Jacky wrote:
    > What I meant was: is there a way to quickly create a command box or
    > text fields visually? Instead of specifying pixels and points?.....

    This is exactly what you don't do: You don't specify pixels and points
    in an AWT/Swing GUI. You use layout managers.

    Please work through Sun's GUI tutorial. Without getting this essential
    point you will not have fun.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Apr 27, 2005
  9. "Jacky" <> writes:

    > What I meant was: is there a way to quickly create a command box or
    > text fields visually? Instead of specifying pixels and points?.....

    Yes, use a GUI designer in an IDE, like JBuilder or Eclipse.

    But please learn about the layout manager concept first; though you
    may experiment VB-like by setting the layout property to null.
    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Jacky

    IchBin Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > Jacky wrote:
    >
    >> What I meant was: is there a way to quickly create a command box or
    >> text fields visually? Instead of specifying pixels and points?.....

    > This is exactly what you don't do: You don't specify pixels and points
    > in an AWT/Swing GUI. You use layout managers.
    >
    > Please work through Sun's GUI tutorial. Without getting this essential
    > point you will not have fun.
    >
    > /Thomas

    Yes you should learn the layout mangers first. This very important. It's
    like most things... Its 'pay me now or pay me later'.

    I use a the JGoodies layout manager. It is much nicer than the Sun
    layout managers. This way you do not to learn all of the sun layout
    managers. You can just use one, JGoodies. They have real time visual
    screen debugger and debug console output to correct any forms you are
    trying to build. BTW - I do know Suns layout managers. I personally
    understand much more for the time I put into learning them.

    I keep referencing my website because I use the JGoodies Forms, Look and
    Feel, color themes. I have not tried their animation libraries yet but
    they look nice also.

    You can see some of my screen shots at *http://24.115.55.47:8080/*.

    Sorry I do not have a domain name yet. So I am using my IP address. Hay,
    it works. This is just a path into Tomcat for my site.

    And\or go to JGoodies website *http://www.jgoodies.com/*

    --

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin

    'The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
    substances:
    if there is any reaction, both are transformed.'
    - Carl Gustav Jung, (1875-1961), psychiatrist and psychologist
    IchBin, Apr 27, 2005
  11. Jacky

    Hal Rosser Guest

    you might be able to use JOptionPane class.

    If you're familiar with VB's inputbox and msgbox,
    you can use Java's JOptionPane class to showinputdialog and
    showmessagedialog.
    otherwise:
    I would keep to the command line for a while.
    Hal Rosser, Apr 27, 2005
  12. Jacky

    Jacky Guest

    Thanks! I'm going to take a look at your website.

    btw, you could run a dynamic IP for your server, http://www.dyndns.org,
    FOC
    Jacky, Apr 28, 2005
  13. Jacky

    Jacky Guest

    Jacky, Apr 28, 2005
  14. Jacky

    Betty Guest

    "Hal Rosser" <> wrote in message
    > you might be able to use JOptionPane class.
    >
    > If you're familiar with VB's inputbox and msgbox,
    > you can use Java's JOptionPane class to showinputdialog and
    > showmessagedialog.
    > otherwise:
    > I would keep to the command line for a while.

    How about BEA WebLogic?
    Betty, Apr 29, 2005