Running a standalone application in a Java GUI

cpreiche

I am attempting to integrate several small standalone, open-source
applications (C++) into a single Java GUI. I have created a JFrame and
several JDesktopPanes that I envisioned containing the applications. I
currently am creating a Process and calling Runtime.getRunTime().exec(C
++appplication.exe <remoteAddress>/<remote port>). This results in the
OS environment running the application on Desktop...not in the
JDesktopPane. My questions:

1) Is it possible to run the .exe inside a container?
2) The .exec has an environment parameter...can this be manipulated to
run inside the JDesktopPane?

Thanks!!!