(Newbie) How to get one xml-File out from a DB and an Excel File?

pexito

I know this might be to easy for some of you, but i just started a
week ago with xml. Got a reference book and studied it. So far ok.

But i'm missing some concepts or diagramms. The idea is to do reports
and use XML as delivery Format, which will be used to import data
elsewhere in different ways.

I have to produce a XML data report out from an Oracle 8i DB (which
seems possible with the provided tools) and combined with some data in
an Excel sheet.
Even Excel seems to handle XML.

What is the best way?

From DB through SQL to Excel, link sheets and then from Excel to XML?

Unfortunately it don't seem that the data in the Excel sheet can be
imported to the DB within the next months. DB Model has to be reviewed
and expanded.

And what Tools do i need? Respectively what Tools do you prefer?
Any hints would be useful.

Thanks Pexito