newbie: I don't want my .aspx and .cs files to have the source viewable by the client

Seth Broomer

I'm creating a C# .net project, for a client. However they only have the
right to the binaries, not the source code. Is there a way to compile it so
that I just give them dll's? or do they need the .aspx pages. I read
somewhere that I could probably make assemblies (excuse my bad terminology)
of the source code, but that it is quiet easy to disassemble the assemblies,
so that does not seem to afford read protection.

or am I just all confused over nothing!

thanks

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You need to give them the ASPX pages and the compiled DLLs, but you do not
need to give them the .CS source code files.
If they are unethical they could decombile the DLLs to get a rough
approximation of the source code, but you can thwart them with an
Obfuscator.
Visual Studio 2003 has a basic built in obfuscator, but for 2002 you'll need
a 3rd party solution.

Here's more information on obfuscators:
http://www.abderaware.com/WhitePapers/Obfuscator.htm
http://www.preemptive.com/dotfuscator/index.html
http://www.devx.com/SummitDays/Article/11351
http://www.lesser-software.com/ilobf.htm

Guest

FYI - Just remember there are Deobfuscator out there. But at least you are
taking some sort of measure to secure the DLLs.