newbie - keywords - how many?

ferronni

Are there limits, preferred amounts, min , max of keywords?

Similarly for the descritpion tag, what lenght should it ideally be?

Does it matter where they go as long as they are contained in the head
section, or in what order "description" followed by "keywords"?

Thanks

brucie

Are there limits, preferred amounts, min , max of keywords?

Similarly for the descritpion tag, what lenght should it ideally be?

Does it matter where they go as long as they are contained in the head
section, or in what order "description" followed by "keywords"?

Death Of A Meta Tag
http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/02/10-meta.html
http://searchenginewatch.com/sereport/02/12-meta.html
http://www.searchengineguide.com/whalen/2002/1004_jw1.html

http://spiderfood.net/
http://www.selfpromotion.com/
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/

ferronni

<useful advice snipped>

Thanks for the info.

Only last week however I attended a seminar on web design for small
businesses in the UK orgainised by the local Chamber of Commerce where they
were extolling the virtues of defining your keywords and making sure that
you had them. I presume the people talking were IT experts - Is it just
ignorance that they would not know or be aware of changing criteria for the
spider bots?

ferronni

PeterMcC said:
It is a fatal combination - ignorance *and* the Chamber of Commerce. The
keywords meta tag has been of little significance for some considerable time
now - any seminar presenter whose knowledge had been updated within the last
12 months would have been aware of that.

I know, since my company has been asked by a number of Chambers of Commerce
to tender to provide training/seminars/workshops, that the economics make it
impossible (that's not hyperbole) to provide even low quality training
within the Chamber of Commerce budgets. Pay peanuts... and get a self-styled
"web wizard". I know one such Chamber of Commerce web marketing presenter
who doesn't have a web site of his own - do I need to say more?

thanks for confirming my suspicions!