    of basic terms but assume you already know what these terms mean. I've also
    got a perl training DVD for beginners but even that doesn't give any
    explanation of the terms used in it. Appreciate any help here.

    tg, Jul 23, 2010

  2. "tg" <> wrote:
    >as a absolute beginner starting on perl it's difficult trying to find basic
    >definitions of what some perl terms mean. After searching on google and
    >scouring posts I still don't know what a perl argument is, or what a perl
    >operator is. perl.com and perldoc don't give any straightforward definitions
    >of basic terms but assume you already know what these terms mean. I've also
    >got a perl training DVD for beginners but even that doesn't give any
    >explanation of the terms used in it. Appreciate any help here.

    You may want to start asking a NG that is actually still alive.
    comp.lang.perl has been rm-grouped over a decade ago and been replaced
    with the whole comp.lang.perl.* hirarchie

    As for your two actual issues:

    "Argument" is nothing specific to Perl but a very frequent and
    well-defined term in computer languages or compiler construction.
    It simply describes the values that are passed to a function or
    operation when being called.

    Conceptually there isn't much difference between "operators" and
    "functions" and "procedures". People tend to say operator when they are
    talking about build-in functions like +, *, >=, eq, ... because they are
    part of the perl language and can be writting in infix notation, but
    this is by no means a hard or deterministic criteria and it has as many
    exceptions as there are Perl programmers.
    You can find a complete list of the designers of Perl thought to be
    operators at "perldoc perlop".

    jue

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 24, 2010

  3. tg

    tg Guest

    ok thanks for your feedback - and yes this group is dead somewhat.

    tg, Aug 5, 2010