newbie: perl definitions

tg

as a absolute beginner starting on perl it's difficult trying to find basic
definitions of what some perl terms mean. After searching on google and
scouring posts I still don't know what a perl argument is, or what a perl
operator is. perl.com and perldoc don't give any straightforward definitions
of basic terms but assume you already know what these terms mean. I've also
got a perl training DVD for beginners but even that doesn't give any
explanation of the terms used in it. Appreciate any help here.

Jürgen Exner

tg said:
as a absolute beginner starting on perl it's difficult trying to find basic
definitions of what some perl terms mean. After searching on google and
scouring posts I still don't know what a perl argument is, or what a perl
operator is. perl.com and perldoc don't give any straightforward definitions
of basic terms but assume you already know what these terms mean. I've also
got a perl training DVD for beginners but even that doesn't give any
explanation of the terms used in it. Appreciate any help here.

You may want to start asking a NG that is actually still alive.
comp.lang.perl has been rm-grouped over a decade ago and been replaced
with the whole comp.lang.perl.* hirarchie

As for your two actual issues:

"Argument" is nothing specific to Perl but a very frequent and
well-defined term in computer languages or compiler construction.
It simply describes the values that are passed to a function or
operation when being called.

Conceptually there isn't much difference between "operators" and
"functions" and "procedures". People tend to say operator when they are
talking about build-in functions like +, *, >=, eq, ... because they are
part of the perl language and can be writting in infix notation, but
this is by no means a hard or deterministic criteria and it has as many
exceptions as there are Perl programmers.
You can find a complete list of the designers of Perl thought to be
operators at "perldoc perlop".

jue

jue