"perl" vs "site" vs "vendor"

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by kj, May 21, 2006.

  1. kj

    kj Guest

    I've been using Perl for years, but I must confess I have *no idea*
    what the ExtUtils::MakeMaker documentation means by the terms
    "perl", "site", and "vendor" in the table

    INSTALLDIRS set to
    perl site vendor

    PERLPREFIX SITEPREFIX VENDORPREFIX
    INST_ARCHLIB INSTALLARCHLIB INSTALLSITEARCH INSTALLVENDORARCH
    INST_LIB INSTALLPRIVLIB INSTALLSITELIB INSTALLVENDORLIB
    etc., etc.

    (Infuriatingly enough, this POD doesn't deign to define these
    terms for the great unwashed.)

    I have searched for what these terms ("perl"/"site"/"vendor") mean
    in this context, but the definitions I've found have been, to me
    at least, as clear as mud...

    I think it would help me more to see some *concrete examples* of
    the kinds of modules that correspond to each of the three terms.

    In particular I would like to know which (if any) of these three
    categories is the one for modules that are written in-house.

    Thanks!

    kj

    kj, May 21, 2006

  2. kj

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth kj <>:

    > I've been using Perl for years, but I must confess I have *no idea*
    > what the ExtUtils::MakeMaker documentation means by the terms
    > "perl", "site", and "vendor" in the table
    >
    > INSTALLDIRS set to
    > perl site vendor
    >
    > PERLPREFIX SITEPREFIX VENDORPREFIX
    > INST_ARCHLIB INSTALLARCHLIB INSTALLSITEARCH INSTALLVENDORARCH
    > INST_LIB INSTALLPRIVLIB INSTALLSITELIB INSTALLVENDORLIB
    > etc., etc.
    >
    > (Infuriatingly enough, this POD doesn't deign to define these
    > terms for the great unwashed.)
    >
    > I have searched for what these terms ("perl"/"site"/"vendor") mean
    > in this context, but the definitions I've found have been, to me
    > at least, as clear as mud...
    >
    > I think it would help me more to see some *concrete examples* of
    > the kinds of modules that correspond to each of the three terms.

    My copy of perl was installed by my linux distro (Gentoo). Modules that
    came with perl (e.g. Storable) are under PERLPREFIX, which in my case is
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7. Modules I installed using Portage (Gentoo's
    package manager) are installed under VENDORPREFIX, which is
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7. Modules I installed myself using
    CPAN.pm (or otherwise) are installed under SITEPREFIX, which is
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7.

    > In particular I would like to know which (if any) of these three
    > categories is the one for modules that are written in-house.

    Site, unless you package it up into something your vendor's package
    manager can install for you, when it will (or should) put it under
    Vendor.

    Ben

    --
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off
    the shoulder of Orion; I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the

    Ben Morrow, May 21, 2006

  3. kj wrote:
    > I've been using Perl for years, but I must confess I have *no idea*
    > what the ExtUtils::MakeMaker documentation means by the terms
    > "perl", "site", and "vendor" in the table
    >
    > INSTALLDIRS set to
    > perl site vendor
    >
    > PERLPREFIX SITEPREFIX VENDORPREFIX
    > INST_ARCHLIB INSTALLARCHLIB INSTALLSITEARCH INSTALLVENDORARCH
    > INST_LIB INSTALLPRIVLIB INSTALLSITELIB INSTALLVENDORLIB
    > etc., etc.
    >
    > (Infuriatingly enough, this POD doesn't deign to define these
    > terms for the great unwashed.)
    >
    > I have searched for what these terms ("perl"/"site"/"vendor") mean
    > in this context, but the definitions I've found have been, to me
    > at least, as clear as mud...

    perl is for the perl core installation.

    vendor is for optional modules provided by the vendor (e.g., the Linux
    distribution).

    site is any additional modules installed by the site's sysadmin (either
    from CPAN or developed in-house).

    > I think it would help me more to see some *concrete examples* of
    > the kinds of modules that correspond to each of the three terms.

    It's not about the kinds of modules, it is about their source. Most Unix
    and Linux systems have a packaging system which keeps track of which
    package contains which files, and it's not a good idea to randomly
    overwrite or delete files installed by the package manager. The
    MakeMaker directory scheme keeps them in different directories, so that
    modules you install via CPAN don't clash with modules installed via your
    systems package management.

    > In particular I would like to know which (if any) of these three
    > categories is the one for modules that are written in-house.

    site.

    (That's also what MakeMaker uses unless you tell it otherwise)

    hp

    --
    _ | Peter J. Holzer | Man könnte sich [die Diskussion] auch
    |_|_) | Sysadmin WSR/LUGA | sparen, wenn man sie sich einfach sparen
    __/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Ralph Angenendt in dang 2006-04-15

    Peter J. Holzer, May 21, 2006
  4. [A complimentary Cc of this posting was NOT [per weedlist] sent to
    Peter J. Holzer
    <>], who wrote in article <>:
    > > I think it would help me more to see some *concrete examples* of
    > > the kinds of modules that correspond to each of the three terms.

    > It's not about the kinds of modules, it is about their source.

    My personal mental model is that it is about who *administers* the
    installed versions. And one more category is missing - user (see the
    recent thread on c.l.p.moderated).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, May 22, 2006
  5. Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
    > <>], who wrote in article <>:
    >> > I think it would help me more to see some *concrete examples* of
    >> > the kinds of modules that correspond to each of the three terms.

    >> It's not about the kinds of modules, it is about their source.

    > My personal mental model is that it is about who *administers* the
    > installed versions.

    Yes, that's better. "Source" is a bit misleading.

    hp

    Peter J. Holzer, May 23, 2006
  6. kj

    Big and Blue Guest

    Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

    >> It's not about the kinds of modules, it is about their source.

    > My personal mental model is that it is about who *administers* the
    > installed versions. And one more category is missing - user (see the
    > recent thread on c.l.p.moderated).

    I agree. It's not about their source, it's about their destination.

    Core modules are set to install to "perl" by default (even when you
    download updates from CPAN).

    Other CPAN modules install to "site" by default.

    Modules written/supplied by vendors install to "vendor".

    But you can install any CPAN module anywhere you want, provided you have
    the rights to put the files there.

    either you or I have to believe it.

    Big and Blue, May 27, 2006