Newbie: please clear this out for me!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Jeff, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hello all!

    I'm new to mobile device development, so I have a few questions:

    A)
    On http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6 there's a phrase
    saying this:
    "The following devices and browsers have been tested with the Microsoft
    Mobile Internet Toolkit v1.0 and ASP.NET mobile controls"

    Here I assume that the tested devices, also mean that ASP.NET works without
    any problem on this devices

    Does this mean that I can develop programs for the listed devices on that
    page using Visual Studio .NET 2003, without any extra library installed?

    B)
    The SonyEricsson P800 mobile phone is listed on that page. This phone uses
    Symbian OS (version 7.0, I think). On
    http://www.symbian.com/developer/development/vb.html (a page at the Symbian
    site) says that for developing applications for a Symbian device using
    Visual Studio .NET, the AppForge package also must be installed. Is this
    true?

    C)
    On
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/asp.netmc/default.aspx
    there's a phrase saying this: "The ASP.NET mobile controls are formerly
    known as the Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit (MMIT). They extend the power
    of the Microsoft .NET Framework and Visual Studio .NET to build mobile Web
    applications by enabling ASP.NET to deliver markup to a wide variety of
    mobile devices."

    Does this means that Visual Studio .NET only can develop application that
    runs inside the internet browser on the mobile device ?

    Answers will be appreciated

    Warmest Regards

    Jeff
    Jeff, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Hi Jeff,

    Here is the difference between ASP.NET development and Mobile
    application development using Visual Studio.NET:

    1) With ASP.NET, think "web pages". The ASP.NET mobile controls
    allow you you to create web-based content for mobile devices. The
    content doesn't run right off the device - rather, it is downloaded from
    a web server and displayed in your web browser. Just web pages.

    One of the cool aspects of the Mobile Toolkit and Controls is that IIS
    can detect what device the user has and "change" your web page content
    to render correctly on the device. That link in your post indicates what
    devices are supported.

    You don't neccesarily need Visual Studio.NET to create ASP.NET web
    based applications for mobile devices.You can use notepad or even the
    Microsoft Web Matrix (http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx)
    to create web content.

    2) By Mobile applications, I mean actual "programs" that run off the
    devices. Such as cellphone games. No web browser or web access
    is neccesarily required.

    Using Visual Studio.NET, you can create applications for devices
    running Windows Mobile or Windows CE. These include PocketPCs
    and SmartPhones. To download free Software Developer Kits (SDK)
    for these devices, visit the Microsoft website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mobile

    Visual Studio.NET 2003 is required to write applications for devices
    that support the .NET Compact Framework.

    If you want to create programs for Nokia or Symbian cellphones
    using Visual Studio.NET, then you must install the AppForge package
    beforehand.

    You don't neccesarily need Visual Studio to create applications for
    Windows CE. You can create native Windows CE programs (using
    C++ or Visual Basic) using a free tool called eMbedded Visual Tools:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f663bf48-31ee-4cbe-aac5-0affd5fb27dd

    I hope this information helps.

    Thanks,
    Jean-Luc David
    Microsoft .NET MVP

    http://www.stormpixel.com
    http://www.mobilecoder.net

    ------------------

    Jean-Luc David [MS-MVP], Apr 25, 2004

  3. Jeff

    me Guest

    > Does this mean that I can develop programs for the listed devices on that
    > page using Visual Studio .NET 2003, without any extra library installed?

    Yes, ASP.NET Mobile Controls is part of ASP.NET 1.1.
    You may wan't to look for "Device Updates" for support of newer
    mobiles at microsofts website.

    > B)
    > The SonyEricsson P800 mobile phone is listed on that page. This phone uses
    > Symbian OS (version 7.0, I think). On
    > http://www.symbian.com/developer/development/vb.html (a page at the Symbian
    > site) says that for developing applications for a Symbian device using
    > Visual Studio .NET, the AppForge package also must be installed. Is this
    > true?

    I have the P900 which is not recognised by ASP.NET Mobile. ASP.NET Mobile
    uses WML because it thinks its an older Ericsson. I believe the P800 gets
    the same treatment. The P900 is cabable of showing HTML3.2. I have a
    remedy for this at http://bitzer.kabelnettet.net/p900. It contains a
    config file that can easily be tweaked for use with the P800 too since
    they have the same spec more or less.

    > Does this means that Visual Studio .NET only can develop application that
    > runs inside the internet browser on the mobile device ?

    ASP.NET Mobile Controls can render to normal PC Browsers and Mobile
    browser that support WML (WAP), cHTML or HTML. ASP.NET Mobile
    is an abstraction layer so you dont have to know about the various
    markup languages (in theory).
    me, Apr 29, 2004