Newbie - Problem Loading SLN files.

Rob G

Hi All,

I am having a problem that is driving me crazy.

I have Windows 2000 Professional, Visual Studio Professional, IIS installed
and running...

I am reading ASP.NET Developer's JumpStart by Paul Sheriff and Ken Getz.
I've downloaded the examples and now want to try some of them out.

In VS, I go to the File Menu and Select, Open Solution. I go to the
directory that the installer put the book's files and select the SLN file.I
then get the following error:
Unable to get the project file from the Web Server. Unable to open Web
Project 'JumpStart/VBLanguage.' The Web 'JumpStart/VBLanguage' located
on server 'http://localhost/' does not exist.

In IIS, their is a virtual directory for JumpStart. I've tried creating one
for VBLanguage but I still am getting errors.

I then tried just opening the Project. I had to use a URL
(http://localhost/jumpstart/vblanguage/vblanguage.vbproj) and I can open it,
but I get the message: "You do not have permission to make changes to this
document. Do you want to open a read-only copy?"
I answer Yes, but I still get the error that it is unable to get the project
file from the Web Server.

I can't reproduce exactly what I did before, but at one point I think I made
my own Solution file and added everything, but I could not view any of the
pages in Design view.

I just want to learn this stuff. I've spent too long just trying to open a
file and no time reading and learning. It had been very frustrating (thanks
for letting me vent).

Thank you for any help you can provide.

-Rob

Kevin Spencer

I think you need to contact either Paul Sheriff or Ken Getz for your answer.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Rob G

Maybe, but I installed it on a different PC with no problems. So I figured
it was a Microsoft problem, not Paul Sherrif's or Ken Getz's.