    the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I want this
    functionality?

    Thanks.
    Lorne Cameron, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Lorne Cameron

    Wipkip Guest

    Lorne Cameron wrote:
    > I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
    > http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
    > that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
    > denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set
    > up the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I
    > want this functionality?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try http://www.URL.com/directory_name/ note /
    You will need an index. file in the directory.

    --
    Duende
    -----
    Wipkip, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Lorne Cameron

    TechnoHippie Guest

    In article <3ef77624$>,
    says...
    > I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
    > http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
    > that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
    > denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set up
    > the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I want this
    > functionality?

    It sounds like the first host has your index.html set up as the default
    404 page [or some server configuration].

    To make the second site show the same behavior, you'll need to either
    place an index.html file in each directory or create a 404 error page to
    match your site index page.

    HTH,
    Judy
    TechnoHippie, Jun 23, 2003
  4. TechnoHippie wrote:
    > In article <3ef77624$>,
    > says...
    >> I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
    >> http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically
    >> from that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory
    >> listing denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a
    >> way to set up the second site to behave like the first, or am I
    >> screwed if I want this functionality?

    > It sounds like the first host has your index.html set up as the
    > default 404 page [or some server configuration].
    >
    > To make the second site show the same behavior, you'll need to either
    > place an index.html file in each directory or create a 404 error page
    > to match your site index page.

    or configure the server so that the default document is one that actually
    exists.

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Lorne Cameron

    Richard Guest

    "Lorne Cameron" <> wrote in message
    > I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
    > http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
    > that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
    > denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set up
    > the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I want this
    > functionality?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you have cpanel, you can set it up in there.
    Or you can put in an index file and have on it "ACCESS DENIED".
    www.richardbullis.com/images/
    You don't see a directory listing do you?
    Richard, Jun 24, 2003
  6. Lorne Cameron

    picayunish Guest

    When Richard was making a web page, a :-? appears and wrote:
    > "Lorne Cameron" <> wrote in message
    >> I have noticed that on one of my sites if I enter
    >> http://www.URL.com/directory_name, index.html loads automatically from
    >> that directory, whereas on the other, I get an "Directory listing
    >> denied" or "Unothorized" message (Mozilla/IE). Is there a way to set up
    >> the second site to behave like the first, or am I screwed if I want this
    >> functionality?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > If you have cpanel, you can set it up in there.
    > Or you can put in an index file and have on it "ACCESS DENIED".
    > www.richardbullis.com/images/
    > You don't see a directory listing do you?

    Nice pic.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart (Geen familie van....)
    http://www.semi-conductors.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    picayunish, Jun 24, 2003