Newbie question about asp.net architecture...

J

Joe Befumo

I've done a fair amount of asp programming using Visual Studio 6.0, and am now moving into the wonderful world of dot.net. I have a question regarding the implications of the whole code-behind concept.

Right now, when I create a new .aspx page, my inclination is to simple put my code into the .aspx file, just like I did in old-fashioned asp, and everything seems to work fine, but I have the feeling that maybe my code should be in the .vb code-behind page. If this is the case, could someone tell me why, and what the implications of each approach would be?

Also, I'm converting a site that has a number of .htm pages. I'm adding some stat-logging, and have approached this by simply changing the extension of the .htm file to .aspx, and adding a call to my logging subroutine between the <% & %>. When I change the exension, Visual Studio tells me that there is no code-behind page, and asks if I want to create one. Thus far, I've been answering "no", and again, everthing seems to work, but I'd like to know the implications of creating or not creating the code-behind pages under these circumstances.

Finally, if anyone could point me to a good, concise, lucid explanation of dot.net architecture, online or in a book, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Joe

Ask a Question