Newbie question about NTLM and web sites

kipp b

Sorry about the simplicity of this question:

I noticed within a lot of web sites there is an NTLM authentication
when a user does a simple HTTP GET.

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html

GET http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.amazon.com:80
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: session-id=104-4473924-0563158; ubid-main=430-7321142-9950765;
session-id-time=1092816000
Proxy-Authorization: NTLM TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAB4IIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=

Question .... why does a user who has no login account need to
authenticate? What is the thought process behind this?

Thanks in advance

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) (kipp b) wrote in
Question .... why does a user who has no login account need to
authenticate? What is the thought process behind this?

This is not a Perl question. You might want to search for a group that
deals with the particular platform you are interested in.