newbie question

Eric Brewer

I just installed Python on a Debian (testing) box and it generally works
fine, but it can't find distutils.core:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

I think my path is OK:
['', '/usr/lib/python23.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.3',
'/usr/lib/python2.3/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-tk',
'/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload',
'/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages',
'/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages']

1) Where should distutils be? (This 2.3.4, so I think it is a standard
module.)

2) Is there any see if "dist*" is anywhere on the path?

Thanks,

-Eric

Michael Hoffman

Eric said:
I just installed Python on a Debian (testing) box and it generally works
fine, but it can't find distutils.core:

For some reason, some distributions split up the Python standard library
and put things like distutils into a python-dev package or something
similar. I think Debian does this, try apt-get python-dev and see if it
works (my apologies if I get that totally wrong, since I am only
parroting numerous Slashdot posts).

Personally I only see the point of this for systems with extreme space
requirements, and maybe not even then. Would anyone like to argue
differently?
> 1) Where should distutils be? (This 2.3.4, so I think it is a
standard module.)

$ python
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Jun 13 2004, 11:21:03)
[GCC 3.3.1 (cygming special)] on cygwin
'/usr/lib/python2.3/distutils/__init__.pyc'

> 2) Is there any see if "dist*" is anywhere on the path?

The easiest way to do this will probably be to write something in Python
since there is always the possibility of a zip file being in your path.

Eric Brewer

Michael said:
For some reason, some distributions split up the Python standard library
and put things like distutils into a python-dev package or something
similar. I think Debian does this, try apt-get python-dev and see if it
works (my apologies if I get that totally wrong, since I am only
parroting numerous Slashdot posts).

Personally I only see the point of this for systems with extreme space
requirements, and maybe not even then. Would anyone like to argue
differently?

It is in python-dev. I installed it and that solved the problem.

Thanks,

-Eric