newbie really simple question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Faroch Bhatt, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Faroch Bhatt

    Faroch Bhatt Guest

    Hi, I am using Windows XP Pro on a home computer. I have just installed IIS
    that came with Windows XP Pro. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio .Net
    V1.1.4322. I hope this is all the infromation you need.

    I have created a file fred.htm in c:\inetpub\wwwroot with the following text

    I launch Internet Explorer and type in http://localhost/fred.htm and I see
    fred displayed in bold. All is working.

    I have created a file fred.asp in c:\inetpub\wwwroot with the following text

    <%
    Response.Write ("bhatt")
    %>

    I launch Internet Explorer and type in http://localhost/fred.asp and I see
    this below. I don't know why. I know this is simple question but I don't
    know why. Please help.
    Fred

    I see this:

    The page cannot be displayed
    There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot
    be displayed.

    Please try the following:

    a.. Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the
    information you want.
    b.. Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    c.. Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
    d.. You can also see a list of related sites.

    HTTP 500 - Internal server error
    Internet Explorer
    Faroch Bhatt, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Faroch Bhatt

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    just for a test take out the <%....%> and leave all the HTML tags, or just
    rename the .HTM to .ASP and see if it opens then.

    Also, you are in a DotNet (ASP.NET) group, not an ASP one, you may want to
    jump over to the ASP ones.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Site & Scripts: http://www.Darkfalz.com

    Curt_C [MVP], Apr 13, 2005

  3. Faroch Bhatt

    Faroch Bhatt Guest

    Thank you Curt. Taking out the<% .. %> does not make a difference.

    Sorry. I will post to a ASP group if I get no answer here. I won't do it yet
    in case someone accuse me of cross posting.
    Thank you
    Fred

    Faroch Bhatt, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Visual Studio.NET is made for creating ASP.NET files. Thos files have an
    ASPX extension, not ASP.
    If you have similar problems with your ASPX pages, you may need to repair
    your IIS mappings as described here:
    http://SteveOrr.net/faq/3in1.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 13, 2005
  5. Faroch Bhatt

    Faroch Bhatt Guest

    Aha. If I rename fred.asp to fred.aspx, and type in
    http://localhost/fred.aspx, it does display in Internet Explorer. But it
    only says "fred" and not "bhatt". The "bhatt" is written out in a <%
    Response.Write("bhatt") %> code.

    I think this means IIS 5.1 cannot run normal .asp pages but it can run .aspx
    and htm by default config. I will try to find an option to turn .asp
    handling on.

    Fred

    Faroch Bhatt, Apr 13, 2005