Newbie trying to install pygsear

Glen

I'm quite new to both Python and Linux (Mandrake 10.0)
Python and pygame are both installed (examples run fine), but I get the
following error when trying to install pygsear

[root@localhost pygsear-0.53]# python setup.py install
running install
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

There is no config folder and I can't locate Makefile in the python2.3
folder.
Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for where
I should be looking, or should I download and install the newest version
of python as this is 2.3.3 installed from the Mandrake installation
disks.
Glen

Grant Edwards

I'm quite new to both Python and Linux (Mandrake 10.0)
Python and pygame are both installed (examples run fine), but I get the
following error when trying to install pygsear

[root@localhost pygsear-0.53]# python setup.py install
running install
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

You need to install the libpython2.3-devel package.

Log in as root, and run the command "urpmi libpython2.3-devl"
or
Start rpmdrake and do the pointy/clicky thing.

Glen

I'm quite new to both Python and Linux (Mandrake 10.0)
Python and pygame are both installed (examples run fine), but I get the
following error when trying to install pygsear

[root@localhost pygsear-0.53]# python setup.py install
running install
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

You need to install the libpython2.3-devel package.

Log in as root, and run the command "urpmi libpython2.3-devl"
or
Start rpmdrake and do the pointy/clicky thing.

Thanks, 'pointy/clicky' worked great!

Grant Edwards

Thanks, 'pointy/clicky' worked great!

If only it didn't take rpmdrake a half-hour to start up and
fifteen minutes to re-scan for packages after every operation.
[Okay, so I exaggerate a little, but that program feels awfully
slow.]

Irmen de Jong

Grant said:
If only it didn't take rpmdrake a half-hour to start up and
fifteen minutes to re-scan for packages after every operation.
[Okay, so I exaggerate a little, but that program feels awfully
slow.]

Yes, that's one thing that I really hope they have fixed
in Mandrake 10.1 (I'm waiting for the official 10.1, I don't
bother with the community releases).

The 9.x version was much quicker in my recollection....

_i.