newbie: which IDE to choose?

R.A.M.

Hello,
(Sorry for my English...)
I have started learning Java in Windows XP and Linux. I am going to
programme database applications with web GUI (JDBC, JSP, Servlets, as I
understand). I have a question to experienced programmers: which development
environment I should choose? I would like to learn IDE that I will (the most
probably) use in my future job.
Could you help me please? Thank you!
/RAM/

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

R.A.M. said:
I have started learning Java in Windows XP and Linux. I am going to
programme database applications with web GUI (JDBC, JSP, Servlets, as I
understand). I have a question to experienced programmers: which development
environment I should choose? I would like to learn IDE that I will (the most
probably) use in my future job.

There are a pretty good chance that you will end up using
Eclipse or an Eclipse derivative in your future job.

Arne

Lew

There are a pretty good chance that you will end up using
Eclipse or an Eclipse derivative in your future job.

There is also a very good chance that you will encounter JBuilder, Netbeans,
Sun Studio, JEdit, ....

All these IDEs have much to recommend them. If you are concerned about being
highly employable, I suggest you do two things:

- Learn at least two of the major IDEs out there. If you learn Eclipse you are
also learning much of IBM's WebSphere Application Developer (WSAD). If you
learn Netbeans you are also learning much of Sun's Studio IDE.

- Learn to use a neutral editor like emacs or vi and to build your
applications from the command line using Ant. This will give you understanding
so that IDE activities are less mysterious.

I have worked in many shops that had Eclipse or WSAD as a standard but I used
my own preferred editor or IDE on my workstation. I do that in my current job.
Chance has very little to do with what I use. I also routinely flip between a
text editor and the IDE. I also do command-line builds for anything I intend
to really release.

If you don't know what is really going on, no IDE can really help you.

- Lew

Mike Schilling

Arne Vajhøj said:
There are a pretty good chance that you will end up using
Eclipse or an Eclipse derivative in your future job.

I recently did some work at a place that had standardized on Eclipse. Many
of the developers there preferred IntelliJ, though, and continued to use it.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Lew said:
There is also a very good chance that you will encounter JBuilder,
Netbeans, Sun Studio, JEdit, ....

New versions of JBuilder is Eclipse based also.

4 years ago JBuilder was the big one in the commercial space
today it is Eclipse.

Arne

jupiter

Lew said:
- Learn to use a neutral editor like emacs or vi and to build
your applications from the command line using Ant. This will give
you understanding so that IDE activities are less mysterious.

It's a great learning experience. Classpath and build options
should be a good experience.

coolzeze

R.A.M. said:
Hello,
(Sorry for my English...)
I have started learning Java in Windows XP and Linux. I am going to
programme database applications with web GUI (JDBC, JSP, Servlets, as I
understand). I have a question to experienced programmers: which development
environment I should choose? I would like to learn IDE that I will (the most
probably) use in my future job.
Could you help me please? Thank you!
/RAM/

I use eclipse and myeclipse , I think it is very easy