    probably) use in my future job.
    Could you help me please? Thank you!
    /RAM/

    R.A.M., Dec 30, 2006

  2. R.A.M. wrote:
    > I have started learning Java in Windows XP and Linux. I am going to
    > programme database applications with web GUI (JDBC, JSP, Servlets, as I
    > understand). I have a question to experienced programmers: which development
    > environment I should choose? I would like to learn IDE that I will (the most
    > probably) use in my future job.

    There are a pretty good chance that you will end up using
    Eclipse or an Eclipse derivative in your future job.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Dec 30, 2006

  3. R.A.M.

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > There are a pretty good chance that you will end up using
    > Eclipse or an Eclipse derivative in your future job.

    There is also a very good chance that you will encounter JBuilder, Netbeans,
    Sun Studio, JEdit, ....

    All these IDEs have much to recommend them. If you are concerned about being
    highly employable, I suggest you do two things:

    - Learn at least two of the major IDEs out there. If you learn Eclipse you are
    also learning much of IBM's WebSphere Application Developer (WSAD). If you
    learn Netbeans you are also learning much of Sun's Studio IDE.

    - Learn to use a neutral editor like emacs or vi and to build your
    applications from the command line using Ant. This will give you understanding
    so that IDE activities are less mysterious.

    I have worked in many shops that had Eclipse or WSAD as a standard but I used
    my own preferred editor or IDE on my workstation. I do that in my current job.
    Chance has very little to do with what I use. I also routinely flip between a
    text editor and the IDE. I also do command-line builds for anything I intend
    to really release.

    If you don't know what is really going on, no IDE can really help you.

    - Lew

    Lew, Dec 30, 2006
  4. "Arne Vajhøj" <> wrote in message
    > R.A.M. wrote:
    >> I have started learning Java in Windows XP and Linux. I am going to
    >> programme database applications with web GUI (JDBC, JSP, Servlets, as I
    >> understand). I have a question to experienced programmers: which
    >> development environment I should choose? I would like to learn IDE that I
    >> will (the most probably) use in my future job.

    > There are a pretty good chance that you will end up using
    > Eclipse or an Eclipse derivative in your future job.

    I recently did some work at a place that had standardized on Eclipse. Many
    of the developers there preferred IntelliJ, though, and continued to use it.

    Mike Schilling, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Lew wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> R.A.M. wrote:
    >>> I have started learning Java in Windows XP and Linux. I am going to
    >>> programme database applications with web GUI (JDBC, JSP, Servlets, as
    >>> I understand). I have a question to experienced programmers: which
    >>> development environment I should choose? I would like to learn IDE
    >>> that I will (the most probably) use in my future job.

    >> There are a pretty good chance that you will end up using
    >> Eclipse or an Eclipse derivative in your future job.

    > There is also a very good chance that you will encounter JBuilder,
    > Netbeans, Sun Studio, JEdit, ....

    New versions of JBuilder is Eclipse based also.

    4 years ago JBuilder was the big one in the commercial space
    today it is Eclipse.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Dec 30, 2006
  6. R.A.M.

    jupiter Guest

    "Lew" <> wrote in message

    > - Learn to use a neutral editor like emacs or vi and to build
    > your applications from the command line using Ant. This will give
    > you understanding so that IDE activities are less mysterious.

    It's a great learning experience. Classpath and build options
    should be a good experience.

    jupiter, Dec 31, 2006
  7. R.A.M.

    coolzeze Guest

    R.A.M. wrote:
    > Hello,
    > (Sorry for my English...)
    > I have started learning Java in Windows XP and Linux. I am going to
    > programme database applications with web GUI (JDBC, JSP, Servlets, as I
    > understand). I have a question to experienced programmers: which development
    > environment I should choose? I would like to learn IDE that I will (the most
    > probably) use in my future job.
    > Could you help me please? Thank you!
    > /RAM/

    I use eclipse and myeclipse , I think it is very easy

    coolzeze, Dec 31, 2006