    expected

    getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php" "_self");

    Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1
    Leslie Cox, Nov 22, 2007

    ^
    > Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

    Since ActionScript is an ECMAScript implementation, the above is
    syntactically incorrect. If "_self" is to be the second argument
    to getURL(), you will have to delimit it with a comma:

    getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Randy Webb wrote:
    > Leslie Cox said the following on 11/22/2007 12:22 PM:
    >> Hi I wonder if anyone could shed some light on what I need to do with this
    >> code I have tried everything I know and come up blank.
    >>
    >> **Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 6, frame=115:Line 1: ')' or ','
    >> expected
    >>
    >> getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php" "_self");
    >>
    >> Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

    > Hmmm. Maybe you should try a Flash oriented group since ActionScript is
    > Flash.

    ActionScript is _not_ Flash, it is the ECMAScript implementation used *in*
    Flash. And as such, plain ActionScript code is on-topic here; at least it
    should be.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > Leslie Cox wrote:
    >> **Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 6, frame=115:Line 1: ')' or ','
    >> expected
    >>
    >> getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php" "_self");

    > ^
    >> Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

    > Since ActionScript is an ECMAScript implementation, the above is
    > syntactically incorrect. If "_self" is to be the second argument
    > to getURL(), you will have to delimit it with a comma:
    >
    > getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

    And don't forget the enclosing quotes:

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Leslie Cox

    Kailash Nadh Guest

    You are missing the first quote (just before http://)
    getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

    should be

    getURL("http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

    Regards,
    Kailash Nadh
    http://kailashnadh.name
    Kailash Nadh, Nov 26, 2007
  6. Leslie Cox

    Evertjan. Guest

    Kailash Nadh wrote on 26 nov 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > You are missing the first quote (just before http://)
    > getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");
    >
    > should be
    >
    > getURL("http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

    What and whom are you responding on?

    [please always quote on usenet]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Nov 26, 2007
  7. Kailash Nadh wrote:
    > You are missing the first quote (just before http://)
    > getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");
    >
    > should be
    >
    > getURL("http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

    No, I don't. If you were not a Googlot who did not know the first
    thing about Usenet, you would have replied and quoted properly which
    in this case would have meant not to post at all since I had already
    posted that correction (and you mindlessly replied to it with the
    above repetition of it.)

    PointedEars
    --
    realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
    evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 26, 2007
  8. Leslie Cox

    Evertjan. Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 27 nov 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    >> Would you care to share what you think a "Googlot" is?

    > That's an expression (from de.ALL) for "Google (Groups) idiot" :)

    No need to call someone an idiot, your English spacing overshoots.

    Googlot = "Google monoglot",
    someone that is not up to a decent news client.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Nov 27, 2007
  9. In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:34:53, Randy Webb <> posted:

    >Maybe you can help me with another word then. It is harder now, but, if
    >you search Google for the word "Hikk", it will come up with German
    >pages. Can you tell me what it means in German? I have a meaning for it
    >for myself, I am just curious what it means in German.

    It may be Swiss : "Hilfe für Kinder im Kongo".

    --
    (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20 ; WinXP.
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.
    Dr J R Stockton, Nov 27, 2007
  10. Randy Webb wrote:
    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said the following on 11/26/2007 8:05 PM:
    >> Randy Webb wrote:
    >>> Would you care to share what you think a "Googlot" is?

    >> That's an expression (from de.ALL) for "Google (Groups) idiot" :)

    > Maybe you can help me with another word then. It is harder now, but, if
    > you search Google for the word "Hikk", it will come up with German
    > pages. Can you tell me what it means in German? I have a meaning for it
    > for myself, I am just curious what it means in German.

    At least it is not a proper word in standard written German (although it
    might be in one of the various dialects). The first ten Google results
    refer to it as an acronym for the name of a charity organization (HIKK --
    [de] Hilfe für Kinder im Kongo -- [en] Help for Children in Congo), an
    abbreviation for the city of Hikkaduwa (98 km south of Colombo, Sri Lanka),
    and an acronym for a conference about cooperation between
    universities/technical colleges and the industry in Austria ([de] HIKK --
    Hochschul-/Industriekooperations-Konferenz). I also now it as a word for
    the sound one makes when having a hiccup :)

    Please ask further such questions in the appropriate newsgroup (you may try
    de.etc.sprache.deutsch) or via private e-mail.

    F'up2 poster

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 27, 2007
  11. Dr J R Stockton wrote:
    > In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    > Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:34:53, Randy Webb <> posted:
    >> Maybe you can help me with another word then. It is harder now, but, if
    >> you search Google for the word "Hikk", it will come up with German
    >> pages. Can you tell me what it means in German? I have a meaning for it
    >> for myself, I am just curious what it means in German.

    > It may be Swiss : "Hilfe für Kinder im Kongo".

    That's German. There is no such thing like a Swiss language. (You would
    know about the four main languages in Switzerland if you visited the Large
    Blue Room more often.)

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Nov 29, 2007
  12. Randy Webb wrote:
    > Maybe you can help me with another word then. It is harder now, but, if
    > you search Google for the word "Hikk", it will come up with German
    > pages. Can you tell me what it means in German? I have a meaning for it
    > for myself, I am just curious what it means in German.

    Are you sure it's German that you're looking at? The most common
    language seems to be Icelandic.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "Those in the seat of power oft forget their failings and seek only the
    John W. Kennedy, Nov 30, 2007
  13. In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:47:43, Randy Webb <> posted:

    >Heck if I know for sure. I made the word up about 10 years ago as an
    >intentional mis-spelling of the word "Hick". My question would have
    >been better worded as "Does anybody know if the word Hikk means
    >anything in any other language?". I was more curious than anything.

    It may be Norwegian for one use of "Hip". Check in no.c.l.j.

    It's also a Norwegian acronym : HIKK (Husnissenes Internasjonale Kamp-
    Koalisjon) <no.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIKK> used in their Harry Potter,
    meaning "Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare (SPEW)".

    "Hikke" is a Norwegian hiccup.

    Dr J R Stockton, Nov 30, 2007