News Posting Script with Emailing Ability

Jonathan M. Rose

I am looking for a script that I can sit on an HTML server (Linux,
Apache, PHP/Perl/Python/Etc.) that will allow me to do the following things:

1) Post news articles that consists of (i) a title and (ii) a body.
2) Show the last X posts (or, better yet, just the last X titles) on a
home page.
3) Show all posts on a "news" page.
4) When a news article is posted, email the news article (with the title
being the email subject and the news body being the email body) to a
single address (which will be a Mailman email list address).
5) Preferably not require the use of a db server.
6) Preferably allow changing or deleting news posts if errors were made
in the wording or otherwise.
7) I do not need nor want the ability for users to "reply" to the news
articles.

Does anyone know of anything like this? If not, how about simple news
posting tools that I could remake to include the emailing functionality?

A tool similar to what I want is located at
http://newswriter2005.sourceforge.net/. This one, however, doesn't
allow email of news articles.

Also - what is the proper newsgroup for asking about server-side html
scripts? alt.html.server-side would be perfect, but it seems to be dead
(at least on the news server I use).

Thank you for your time in advance.

-Jon
--
Jonathan M. Rose
President, Farious Net Solutions

William Park

In said:
I am looking for a script that I can sit on an HTML server (Linux,
Apache, PHP/Perl/Python/Etc.) that will allow me to do the following things:

1) Post news articles that consists of (i) a title and (ii) a body.

Any newsreader that allows you to "postpone" posting should work here.
Just create the file (using Python, for example), and let it handle
posting. I use Tin. But, for posting, you can post using Telnet or
script equivalent.
2) Show the last X posts (or, better yet, just the last X titles) on a
home page.

Write a script.
3) Show all posts on a "news" page.

Another script.
4) When a news article is posted, email the news article (with the title
being the email subject and the news body being the email body) to a
single address (which will be a Mailman email list address).

Use
To: ...
in your posting, or mail the "file" directly which should same step as
posting.
5) Preferably not require the use of a db server.
6) Preferably allow changing or deleting news posts if errors were made
in the wording or otherwise.

This is dependent on news server on individual site. Some servers
honour delete and some don't (ie. Google).
7) I do not need nor want the ability for users to "reply" to the news
articles.

If you post something, then it's in the public domain. You can't
control whether others reply or follow up. If you don't any followup,
then don't post.
Does anyone know of anything like this? If not, how about simple news
posting tools that I could remake to include the emailing functionality?

Simple script would do.

Jonathan M. Rose

To: ...
in your posting, or mail the "file" directly which should same step as
posting.

This is dependent on news server on individual site. Some servers
honour delete and some don't (ie. Google).

If you post something, then it's in the public domain. You can't
control whether others reply or follow up. If you don't any followup,
then don't post.

Simple script would do.

Woops, didn't mean to mislead people. Not posting to a newsgroup, but
posting to a web page, blog-like.

-Jon