newsgroup about php

toylet

Outlook Express doesn't support top-posting, right? I don't use/trust OE...
MOzilla support both Top and Bottom posting.

And I suspect that many other mail/news clients don't support top
posting. If you used mozilla's mail-news frontend, you would know what I
meant by "supporting". I am talking about Mozilla, not the old Netscape 4.

Paul Furman

toylet said:
Is there any good newsgroup or news server that talks about php
programming? usenet has no group for php and mysql.

If you poke around on php.net they have their own news server at:
news.php.net

It's a bit annoying that it's also tied into an email listserve so you
get a lot of email out-of-office replies and people who reply direct to
your email. OTOH I think you need to initially subscribe by email so
everyone has a valid email and it's more tame than the wild west of usenet.

toylet

If you poke around on php.net they have their own news server at:
news.php.net

oops. I only check her docuementation and wasn't aware of a news server.
Thanks for the reminder.
your email. OTOH I think you need to initially subscribe by email so
everyone has a valid email and it's more tame than the wild west of usenet.

Then I suepect that it's just a mailing list diverted into a news server
for read-only search/retrieval of messages. ClamAV's (an open-sourced
anti-virus product http://www.clamav.net) news server runs like that.

Paul Furman

toylet said:
Then I suepect that it's just a mailing list diverted into a news server
for read-only search/retrieval of messages. ClamAV's (an open-sourced
anti-virus product http://www.clamav.net) news server runs like that.

You can post directly to the news server though some people are
subscribed by email.

toylet

Then I suepect that it's just a mailing list diverted into a news server
You can post directly to the news server though some people are
subscribed by email.

thanks.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named toylet:
Outlook Express doesn't support top-posting, right? I don't
use/trust OE...

MOzilla support both Top and Bottom posting.

*Support* top posting? There is nothing to *support*. It is all a
matter of user choosing where to type. You do /not/ need to type where
the cursor is initially shown.

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
Quoth the raven named toylet:
*Support* top posting? There is nothing to *support*. It is all a
matter of user choosing where to type. You do /not/ need to type where
the cursor is initially shown.

"Top posting because that's where your cursor happened to be is like
shitting your pants because that's where your ass hole happened to be."

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Blinky the Shark:
"Top posting because that's where your cursor happened to be is
like shitting your pants because that's where your ass hole
happened to be."

<ROF,LSHISMP!!!!>

rf

toylet said:
I don't want to get into the religous debate of top vs bottom posting.
if your mail reader support top-posting, it's far more efficient when
writing replies. Save a lot more moust clicks for conservation that uses
short replies. Trimming of quotes is also easier.

I think OE doesn't support top-posting yet. Mozilla does. Anyway.

What a stupid thing to say. How can an editor (and yes, all news clients
include an editor) either support or not support what you wish to type into
them?
You have a down arrow and a delete button. Use them.

You also have two choices. 1) adhere to the conventions of this and many
other groups and become part of the community. 2) Do not adhere to the
conventions and be simply ignored.

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

rf said:
What a stupid thing to say. How can an editor (and yes, all news clients
include an editor)

Most do, but "rn" and "trn" do not. There are presumably others in the
same vein.
either support or not support what you wish to type into them?

Notepad on non-NT Windows doesn't support files larger than 64KB.

But your point is taken: the characteristics of a particular news reader
are unlikely to be able to force you to top or bottom post.

Indeed it could be argued that OE's behaviour is actually very convenient
for bottom-posters: putting the cursor at the top gives you the
opportunity to snip irrelevant text on the way down to the bottom.

Barry Pearson

Toby said:
rf said:
What a stupid thing to say. How can an editor (and yes, all news
clients include an editor)
[snip]
But your point is taken: the characteristics of a particular news
reader are unlikely to be able to force you to top or bottom post.

Indeed it could be argued that OE's behaviour is actually very
convenient for bottom-posters: putting the cursor at the top gives
you the opportunity to snip irrelevant text on the way down to the
bottom.

Quick comment. OE Quote-Fix has an option to set where you want the cursor to
start. And it can strip out the initial blank line that tempts people to top
post.

(Other than that, I'll stay neutral on this never-ending issue!)

rf

Barry Pearson said:
Toby said:
rf said:
What a stupid thing to say. How can an editor (and yes, all news
clients include an editor)
[snip]
But your point is taken: the characteristics of a particular news
reader are unlikely to be able to force you to top or bottom post.

Indeed it could be argued that OE's behaviour is actually very
convenient for bottom-posters: putting the cursor at the top gives
you the opportunity to snip irrelevant text on the way down to the
bottom.

Quick comment. OE Quote-Fix has an option to set where you want the cursor to
start. And it can strip out the initial blank line that tempts people to top
post.

(Other than that, I'll stay neutral on this never-ending issue!)

As I usually do, except when presented with this bizarre statement, which
Toby incontinently snipped:

<quote>
I think OE doesn't support top-posting yet. Mozilla does. Anyway.
</quote>

OE *does* contain an editor. If the user of that editor does not know how to
use the down arrow and the delete key then how stupid is that user?

Cheers
Richard.

Barry Pearson

rf said:
As I usually do, except when presented with this bizarre statement,
which Toby incontinently snipped:

<quote>
I think OE doesn't support top-posting yet. Mozilla does. Anyway.
</quote>

OE *does* contain an editor. If the user of that editor does not know
how to use the down arrow and the delete key then how stupid is that
user?

Yup! It isn't about the newsreader, it is about what the author thinks is
right. Just about any plausible newsreader will then do.

toylet

"Top posting because that's where your cursor happened to be is like
shitting your pants because that's where your ass hole happened to be."

Is there an official definition for "top posting"? I suppose "top
posting" means the replies appeared on top of quoted text, not a matter
of convinience. The usual way is quoted text above replies.