Newsreaders ... very off topic

Al Jones

But since I see I'm putting duplicate messages into the system maybe some
help is in order.

I have three news services that I use, 2 free and 1 paid. Not all, for
some reason, get all the messages in the newgroups I inhabit <oddly>.
Since I don't want to be putting duplicate message out I've been looking
at newreaderes.

Opera - my normal browser <and the offending culprit apparently> allows me
to select which newsgroups from which server - and then somehow 'keeps
track' of which messages that I've read on the other serrver. This bugs
me - not because it's not appreciated, but, not knowing 'how it knows'
makes me wonder why it's doing it and if that's part of the reason for the
duplication.

Thunderbird - looks promising - but everytime I go to help it takes me to
a 404 - not helpful.

NewRover - looks interesting - allows me to set up what it calls 'interest
groups' and then allows me to set up the various servers to feed the
interest group so that all the various messages appear together in the
'group'.

Agent - I've used it before, but IMO since it seems to be aimed more at
the binaries than text NG I've put it on the back burner.

To make this as short as possible, I want the ablility to:
send out just one post (sheesh!)
see all messages from a NG together - similar to the way Rover does it.
filter incoming messages - so I can not be bothered with the XXX spam.

What are the rest of you all using and pros and cons -

<<troll - god, I hope not!>>

Toby Inkster

Al said:
Agent - I've used it before, but IMO since it seems to be aimed more at
the binaries than text NG I've put it on the back burner.

Certainly the best newsreader I ever used on Windows -- and it's great for
text newsgroups -- don't worry there!

Other's to check out are Xnews and 40tude.

CarolW.

Agent - I've used it before, but IMO since it seems to be aimed more at
the binaries than text NG I've put it on the back burner.

I can only share my opinion:
I use Agent; like the paid-for version a tad better but the free
version works fine for both binary or text groups. I only participate
in a couple of binary groups - rest of the "subscribed" list on my
side are text groups.

I haven't tried the others - did use the Mozilla version but that was
long time ago, NN4 or so days. So I can't really comment about the
others you listed.

Carol

Greg Schmidt

But since I see I'm putting duplicate messages into the system maybe some
help is in order. ....
To make this as short as possible, I want the ablility to:
send out just one post (sheesh!)

This surely should be a given!
see all messages from a NG together - similar to the way Rover does it.

I use 40tude, and I don't know of any way to get it to do this. It's
never been an issue for me, so I haven't looked hard.
filter incoming messages - so I can not be bothered with the XXX spam.

It is, however, quite good at filtering.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Toby Inkster scribbled in the mud:
He was the only person in its history that was asked to leave.

I still feel the pain from when you asked me to get out.