Next best to ASP

Yatin Soni

If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
to use.

I need to create a simple security page... where a database on the
server stores usernames and passwords.
i need for it to query the database based on a username and password
entered in on the page.

I thought of using ASP because it is server side scripting, and that
prevents uses from viewing the source.

What are my alternatives?

Thanks

Evertjan.

Yatin Soni wrote on 02 nov 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
to use.

1 please quote the text, you are answering on. This is usenet, not email!!!

2 please do not start a new thread when replying

3 any serverside language, your server supports, will do, I suppose.

4 this is an ASP NG, we "support" only classic ASP here.

Des Perado

Evertjan. said:
Yatin Soni wrote on 02 nov 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

1 please quote the text, you are answering on. This is usenet, not email!!!

2 please do not start a new thread when replying

Huh??? I can't imagine what you're talking about - it looks like a new
thread to me.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
1 please quote the text, you are answering on. This is usenet, not
email!!!

What text is he "answering on"?
2 please do not start a new thread when replying

What thread is he replying to?

thorpe

my answer would have to be a question. what scripting language does your
server support? what server are you running?

php, might be a good place to start. it is a cross-platform serverside
scripting language.

http://www.php.net

mark4asp

If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
to use.

I need to create a simple security page... where a database on the
server stores usernames and passwords.
i need for it to query the database based on a username and password
entered in on the page.

I thought of using ASP because it is server side scripting, and that
prevents uses from viewing the source.

What are my alternatives?

Thanks

Install a proper web server before you try to run ASP.

What Server / operating system are you using ?

You need to install a web server that will support ASP. On
Windows, this will be some variant of Internet Information
Services.
As I recall.
IIS4 on NT4 or Win95
IIS5 on Windows 2000
IIS6 on Windows 2003 server, etc. But don't quote me on
that - check it. This information is easy to find out.

Once you know what your OS is you will be able to find the
proper version of IIS to use and get the correct instructions.
IIS is free. It is quite easy to install and IIS will run on
almost any version of Windows.

You can run ASP on Linux too (Chillisoft variant) but hardly
anyone does. I think this version runs under the Apache web
server.

You can find detailed ASP installation instructions if you
search the web or this newsgroup using Google. Remember, the
installation depends upon which version of Windows you're
running.

Jeff Cochran

If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
to use.

Likely the one your host supports that you know how to use.
I need to create a simple security page... where a database on the
server stores usernames and passwords.
i need for it to query the database based on a username and password
entered in on the page.

I thought of using ASP because it is server side scripting, and that
prevents uses from viewing the source.

What are my alternatives?

Perl, PHP, TCL, Python, C++, or whatever your host supports. Ask
them.

Jeff