    prevents uses from viewing the source.

    What are my alternatives?

    Thanks

    Yatin Soni, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Yatin Soni

    Evertjan. Guest

    Yatin Soni wrote on 02 nov 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
    > to use.

    1 please quote the text, you are answering on. This is usenet, not email!!!

    2 please do not start a new thread when replying

    3 any serverside language, your server supports, will do, I suppose.

    4 this is an ASP NG, we "support" only classic ASP here.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 2, 2004

  3. Yatin Soni

    Des Perado Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > Yatin Soni wrote on 02 nov 2004 in

    > > If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
    > > to use.

    > 1 please quote the text, you are answering on. This is usenet, not

    email!!!

    > 2 please do not start a new thread when replying

    Huh??? I can't imagine what you're talking about - it looks like a new
    thread to me.

    Des Perado, Nov 2, 2004
  4. > > If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
    > > to use.

    > 1 please quote the text, you are answering on. This is usenet, not

    email!!!

    What text is he "answering on"?

    > 2 please do not start a new thread when replying

    What thread is he replying to?

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Nov 2, 2004
  5. Yatin Soni

    thorpe Guest

    my answer would have to be a question. what scripting language does your
    server support? what server are you running?

    php, might be a good place to start. it is a cross-platform serverside
    scripting language.

    http://www.php.net

    thorpe, Nov 2, 2004
  6. Yatin Soni

    Hal Rosser Guest

    PHP
    or
    Perl
    or (if you're up to a challenge)
    JSP and servlets

    > What are my alternatives?
    >
    > Thanks

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Nov 3, 2004
  7. Yatin Soni

    mark4asp Guest

    On 2 Nov 2004 01:55:28 -0800, (Yatin
    Soni) wrote:

    >If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
    >to use.
    >
    >I need to create a simple security page... where a database on the
    >server stores usernames and passwords.
    >i need for it to query the database based on a username and password
    >entered in on the page.
    >
    >I thought of using ASP because it is server side scripting, and that
    >prevents uses from viewing the source.
    >
    >What are my alternatives?
    >
    >Thanks

    Install a proper web server before you try to run ASP.

    What Server / operating system are you using ?

    You need to install a web server that will support ASP. On
    Windows, this will be some variant of Internet Information
    Services.
    As I recall.
    IIS4 on NT4 or Win95
    IIS5 on Windows 2000
    IIS6 on Windows 2003 server, etc. But don't quote me on
    that - check it. This information is easy to find out.

    Once you know what your OS is you will be able to find the
    proper version of IIS to use and get the correct instructions.
    IIS is free. It is quite easy to install and IIS will run on
    almost any version of Windows.

    You can run ASP on Linux too (Chillisoft variant) but hardly
    anyone does. I think this version runs under the Apache web
    server.

    You can find detailed ASP installation instructions if you
    search the web or this newsgroup using Google. Remember, the
    installation depends upon which version of Windows you're
    running.

    mark4asp, Nov 3, 2004
  8. Yatin Soni

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    wrote:

    >If my server doesnt support ASP, what would be the next best language
    >to use.

    Likely the one your host supports that you know how to use.

    >I need to create a simple security page... where a database on the
    >server stores usernames and passwords.
    >i need for it to query the database based on a username and password
    >entered in on the page.
    >
    >I thought of using ASP because it is server side scripting, and that
    >prevents uses from viewing the source.
    >
    >What are my alternatives?

    Perl, PHP, TCL, Python, C++, or whatever your host supports. Ask
    them.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Nov 3, 2004