Ngen with large web apps

Guest

Hi,

I am looking into the possibility of using ngen to pre-compile a vast amount
of dll's in order to improve performance for a very large web application.

I understand that ngen didn't work for web apps built using ASP.NET versions
1.0 and 1.1 (the application just fell back to the uncompiled dll and JIT'd
it), but that it CAN access shared domains in 2.0.

I was wondering if there were any other issues that might affect a huge
application (deployed over 30+ machines). Will it affect session
state/cookies? Or would it be expected to perform as it would with standard
dll's?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Guest

I'm not sure that NGen'ing assemblies (if it works for an ASP.NET app at all)
is going to help you much because there is a lot of dynamic compilation that
goes on (for ASPX pages, etc) in an ASP.NET application.

There are other ways to ensure your application is responsive such as tuning
the Session timeout, "priming" the site(s) at non-peak hours with a scheduled
task, and so on.
Peter