No module named _curses (RedHat 7)

Duane Voth

In January someone had this problem on Windows, but I saw it
on a RedHat 7.1 system today.

[]$ python life.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "life.py", line 21, in ?
import curses
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/curses/__init__.py", line 15, in ?
from _curses import *
ImportError: No module named _curses
[]$

Turns out my installtion did not have a symlink for libncurses:

# cd /usr/lib
# ls -l libncurses*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 27 08:33 libncurses.so.5 -> libncurses.so.5.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 257524 Mar 6 2001 libncurses.so.5.2
# ln -s libncurses.so.5.2 libncurses.so

Then, go back to your Python sourse directory and do make and make install.