No module named _curses (RedHat 7)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Duane Voth, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Duane Voth

    Duane Voth Guest

    In January someone had this problem on Windows, but I saw it
    on a RedHat 7.1 system today.

    []$ python life.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "life.py", line 21, in ?
    import curses
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/curses/__init__.py", line 15, in ?
    from _curses import *
    ImportError: No module named _curses
    []$

    Turns out my installtion did not have a symlink for libncurses:

    # cd /usr/lib
    # ls -l libncurses*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 27 08:33 libncurses.so.5 -> libncurses.so.5.2
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 257524 Mar 6 2001 libncurses.so.5.2
    # ln -s libncurses.so.5.2 libncurses.so

    Then, go back to your Python sourse directory and do make and make install.

    --
    Duane Voth

    Duane Voth, Aug 1, 2003