No more console installation on Linux with j2sdk 1.4.2?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Holger (David) Wagner, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Hi group,

    I've just downloaded the most recent j2sdk
    (j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin) and was a little surprised that it
    seems to be only available with NetBeans (which I do not use) and that
    the installation fails with the message: The installer is unable to run
    in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or
    -silent flag.

    In the installation instructions, it's said that "-console" and
    "-silent" are not actually supported (and indeed, it fails after the
    first screen) and that one has to make it work with X. But I do not use
    X on a server, so that's big BS.

    Is there an installer for Linux that works with the console alone
    available somewhere or does Sun take Java to the desktop with force now
    (and way from the server)???

    regards,
    david
    --
    Auch das geht vorüber. (Sufi-Weisheit)

    Holger (David) Wagner Tel: +49 (89) 890 50 962
    Dewetstrasse 1 Mobil: +49 (177) 274 12 45
    D-80807 München Fax: +49 (177) 992741245

    Holger (David) Wagner, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Holger (David) Wagner

    Steve Guest

    "Holger (David) Wagner" <> wrote in news:bo5cda$3n
    $-online.net:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

    Steve, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Holger (David) Wagner

    Sudsy Guest

    Holger (David) Wagner wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I've just downloaded the most recent j2sdk
    > (j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin) and was a little surprised that it
    > seems to be only available with NetBeans (which I do not use) and that
    > the installation fails with the message: The installer is unable to run
    > in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or
    > -silent flag.

    You just have to look more carefully at the download page. It is
    indeed possible to download J2SDK sans NetBeans.

    > In the installation instructions, it's said that "-console" and
    > "-silent" are not actually supported (and indeed, it fails after the
    > first screen) and that one has to make it work with X. But I do not use
    > X on a server, so that's big BS.

    Since you're apparently using a different machine to login to the
    server, check out the DISPLAY environment variable. If I'm on
    machine 192.168.0.2 and my server is 192.168.0.1, I just type
    DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0
    export DISPLAY
    Then when X tries to open a window it will attempt to do so on
    the 192.168.0.2 machine. You might also need to type
    xhost +102.168.0.1
    on your machine to allow the connection.

    Sudsy, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Holger (David) Wagner

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Holger (David) Wagner wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I've just downloaded the most recent j2sdk
    > (j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin) and was a little surprised that it
    > seems to be only available with NetBeans (which I do not use) and that
    > the installation fails with the message: The installer is unable to run
    > in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or
    > -silent flag.
    >
    > In the installation instructions, it's said that "-console" and
    > "-silent" are not actually supported (and indeed, it fails after the
    > first screen) and that one has to make it work with X. But I do not use
    > X on a server, so that's big BS.
    >
    > Is there an installer for Linux that works with the console alone
    > available somewhere or does Sun take Java to the desktop with force now
    > (and way from the server)???
    >
    > regards,
    > david

    That's the co-bundle, including NetBeans. NetBeans isn't much use without an
    X server.

    Try downloading the SDK only. There's a download which extracts directly, or
    one containing an RPM.

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

    Nigel Wade, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Steve wrote:

    > "Holger (David) Wagner" <> wrote in news:bo5cda$3n
    > $-online.net:

    [...]
    >>Is there an installer for Linux that works with the console alone
    >>available somewhere or does Sun take Java to the desktop with force now
    >>(and way from the server)???

    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

    Ooops - I've overlooked the standard J2SE download 1.4.2_02 below the
    cobundle download. Thought it was an old version... sorry!

    regards,
    david

    Holger (David) Wagner, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Holger (David) Wagner

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> "Holger (David) Wagner" <> wrote in
    >> news:bo5cda$3n $-online.net:

    > [...]
    >>>Is there an installer for Linux that works with the console alone
    >>>available somewhere or does Sun take Java to the desktop with force
    >>>now (and way from the server)???

    >> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

    > Ooops - I've overlooked the standard J2SE download 1.4.2_02 below the
    > cobundle download. Thought it was an old version... sorry!

    LOL; supected as much but didn't want to assume. You are not the first and
    certainly will not be the last (me included) to not read the screen

    Steve, Nov 5, 2003