Nokia + Eclipse: creating JAR files from eclipse

Discussion in 'Java' started by John Goche, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. John Goche

    John Goche Guest

    Hello,

    I am developing J2ME applications and testing them on Nokia devices.
    So I have installed Eclipse 3.1.1 from eclipse.org, then Nokia
    Developer's Suite (NDS) v3.0.1 from Nokia, and added on
    several emulators from Nokia.

    When I launch Eclipse, it finds an Eclipse NDS plugin which
    was installed as an option when I installed NDS, so that all
    of the NDS windows are available from the Eclipse menu
    as Tools -> Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM).

    I am having the following two minor problems with this setup:

    1. The class files are being generated from eclipse when I select
    Project -? Build All. However, the Eclipse Package Explorer
    does not show me the bin folder and its contents with all the
    class files. How can I have it show these files?

    2. In order to create the JAR and JAD files for the midlet I have to
    go to Tools -> Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM) -> New
    Application Package... and click on the generate button. Is
    it possible to automate this step from Eclipse as part of the
    build process when I select Prokect -> Build all? Right now
    when I select Build All from the Eclipse IDE all the generated
    classes appear under the "Classes" tab in the "Create
    Application Package" window but the JAR and JAD
    files are not automatically updated
    when I select Build ALL. How can
    I have JAR and JAD files automatically regenerated
    upon rebuilding from the Eclipse Project menu?

    Thanks,

    JG

    John Goche, Jan 21, 2006

  2. John Goche

    IchBin Guest

    John Goche wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am developing J2ME applications and testing them on Nokia devices.
    > So I have installed Eclipse 3.1.1 from eclipse.org, then Nokia
    > Developer's Suite (NDS) v3.0.1 from Nokia, and added on
    > several emulators from Nokia.
    >
    > When I launch Eclipse, it finds an Eclipse NDS plugin which
    > was installed as an option when I installed NDS, so that all
    > of the NDS windows are available from the Eclipse menu
    > as Tools -> Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM).
    >
    > I am having the following two minor problems with this setup:
    >
    > 1. The class files are being generated from eclipse when I select
    > Project -? Build All. However, the Eclipse Package Explorer
    > does not show me the bin folder and its contents with all the
    > class files. How can I have it show these files?
    >
    > 2. In order to create the JAR and JAD files for the midlet I have to
    > go to Tools -> Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM) -> New
    > Application Package... and click on the generate button. Is
    > it possible to automate this step from Eclipse as part of the
    > build process when I select Prokect -> Build all? Right now
    > when I select Build All from the Eclipse IDE all the generated
    > classes appear under the "Classes" tab in the "Create
    > Application Package" window but the JAR and JAD
    > files are not automatically updated
    > when I select Build ALL. How can
    > I have JAR and JAD files automatically regenerated
    > upon rebuilding from the Eclipse Project menu?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JG

    I could be wrong but not sure if you can automate those two steps.
    Normally you have to right click on A project or package and select
    export. I am running Eclipse 3.2M4. Maybe your plugin can use a
    Build.xml file.

    Best bet is to look at Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM) docs for
    this feature or at their website.

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Jan 21, 2006

  3. John Goche wrote:
    > 2. In order to create the JAR and JAD files for the midlet I have to
    > go to Tools -> Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM) -> New
    > Application Package... and click on the generate button. Is
    > it possible to automate this step from Eclipse as part of the
    > build process when I select Prokect -> Build all?

    Install Sun's Wireless Toolkit and EclipseME. Then convert your project
    to a MIDlet Suite project. Then you can select a single menu option to
    generate the deployable JAR file (and include obfuscation as well) and a
    JAD file.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com/